oliver2-44

2020 Deer Hunting

Greentored

Just realized I havent updated here in a few weeks- because I have not seen anything within range:lol:. As a matter of fact, probably been out 15 more times and only saw something ONCE- 5 does, 300 yards across a field that I cant shoot into. Got their attention with a fawn in distress call, but it didnt bring em in to investigate.  Season ends here in 10 days, I'm done playing with the bow and am swapping between the old Thompson Center .54 smoke pole and my scoped 7.62x39 AR.  Up at the weekend hangout my shots would be 30yd or less, so the 1911 goes up in the wood shed blind with me.

The tree rats and birds are enjoying the corn non stop, so at least theres something to watch while sitting up there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ed Kennell

When I harvest a deer, it is usually skinned, deboned, and in the fridge within 4 hours.   I let it age at 35F for 3-4 days, then cut and vacuum pack.   It cuts and grinds so much easier when nearly frozen. 

I never risked ruining venison by  adding cow, pig or goat until this year when I ground 1lb of bacon with 5lb of venison     It made the best smokie  burgers ever.

For the loins,, I always remove all the fat, filet off the membrane that is in the skin side, and cut them in 6" long pieces, then vacuum pack.  

When ready to cook, I thaw, rub with fresh ground pepper and sea salt, let marinate for 10-20 hours.

I always grill the loins on a preheated 350F grill.    About 4 minutes on all four sides.     They are always  hot, juicy , and fork tender.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
3 hours ago, rmaynard said:

do like venison stick with cheese and jalapeño.

Behave Santa may bring ya some ! :lol:

• Haha 1

Darb1964

If the back straps are like shoe leather you must have over cooked it. I use very little spice when cooking back straps because they are so good, high heat cook one side until blood starts bumbling out uncooked side,flip and cook until blood begins to bubble out, if you like it rare done, medium wait until it's pink. Not good if you let it go.much more. I mix some beef to berger,about third and pork to sausage. Secret to good venison starts when it hits the ground. Clean, clean, get it cool, I get it home fast I can,hose it out,get the hide off,bone it out into a cooler on ice, drain out melted ice. I work on some every day, take my time and clean all fat and silver skin off. Even what I grind I keep as much fat, tallow, out as possible, hair also. It's worth the time. Best red meat you can get, my opinion. I never age it, I know many people swear by aging, breaks down the mussels and makes it tender. I don't have a place to keep the temp steady. I guess I do age some in the cooler because it will take me a few days to complete. I grind the shoulder and neck and some of the hind quarter, keeping the best cuts for steaks and roasts. The small pieces from the best cuts I use for stew meat. I enjoy the whole process, the hunt and the eating the most.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

WVHillbilly520H

Something they ex and I done was cube up the hams and used a "pressure cooker" to can them, added 1 or 2 beef bullion cubes in a quart mason jar usually made around 6-10 qts per deer, seriously fork tender like pot roast from a crock pot, after canning empty into a warm skillet add A-1 delish.   Or crock pot a ham roast with brown or beef gravy chopped onions and mushrooms, really don't have to "church" it up much.   For jerky in usually ground the neck , shoulder and small ham chunks marinated with a blend of Worchester, Teriyaki, brown sugar, garlic and onion powder, season-all salt ect (use what spices you what you like here hot salty sweet smokey ect) fed through a "jerky" gun and dried on a dehydrator. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:

I never canned myself Jeff, but when I was a youngster my Dad always had deer meat canned (in an actual tin can) by Yoders butcher shop in Meyersdale,PA.

It was precooked and just needed heated.    It made the best hot deer sandwiches ever and the juice made great gravy.    When I left home in 1962, I inherited around 12 cans.

I opened one every New Years Day for the next 12 years. The last one was as good and fork tender as the first. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Ed Kennell

Wow..Ijust finished posting the above when Mrs.K called me for dinner.    This is what she served.   One of my favorites ..deer stew and it is fork tender.

Just substitute venison for the beef and follow McCoricks recipe on the back of the packet.  Easy peasy.

102_2477.JPG.dcb13387a4c8c02062804be7301f739f.JPG

102_2479.JPG.c49f91cbaa04f5e19271174d55e25af2.JPG102_2478.JPG.a269bdee565e48d2b237f5ed6463b761.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

Pullstart

Looking for at least 1 more fore 1/1/21 dark time...  the trails I made dragging a bed spring really pop with a white dusting.

774A583D-8750-4EF7-986F-0AE1FF76A739.jpeg

923A9893-60D8-4656-B953-55F1E4DBD84D.jpeg

3867671D-BF0D-4AB3-A9B7-C8E39F707F79.jpeg

• Like 5

Ed Kennell

Good luck Kev.     Our flintlock season opened today, I can use my buck tag for buck or doe, but 19F was too cold for tree sitting this morning.   Maybe this evening if it warms up.

• Like 1

WHX??

19 too cold Ed?!?!? Guess I can't  call ya a sally tho my stand is heated ! :hide:

May have to try that stew ...looks really good. 

The Cabelas #22 grinder had no problems with  20 lbs of meat yesterday. Took longer to clean it up than to grind. Cindy got this grinder for me for Christmas quite a few years ago and has all the stuffing tubes too. I think the motor is like a 1 HP!  An expensive grinder at the time but worth it. 

I have never canned Jeff but made give it a shot should I get a doe. My dad used to can and always had a jar in deer camp. I don't think he churched it up at all, maybe salt and that's it. 

I should get out there today as these girls were in back of the shop last nite. Pic was taken out the kitchen window! 

20201225_083832[1].jpg

20201225_190852[1].jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Ed Kennell

35F this morning, so I stuffed 2-50 grain pyrodex pellets and a ball down the smoke pole and was in the tree by 6:30AM.   Nice quiet morning but no venison.

102_2503.JPG.2defb6e15b831a9b2f448df0df2427f7.JPG102_2502.JPG.abd66da69010b3697fb992eda75cf8f6.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

Flintlock!!!!!

Man after my own heart.... none of this electronic ignition front stuffer for this kid either! 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

28F this morning with heavy frost and no wind...perfect, but no deer.   I have deer pictures  every night  in this hay field, but never in the daylight.

102_2525.JPG.537e7225f80b886548cab1b57af57945.JPG

Jeff-C175

If I could legally shoot out the kitchen window I could feed a small village with venison.  NJ is absolutely over run by deer.  I just watched a herd of does and bambis walk through the yard.  I didn't count them but at least a dozen.

There was a buck out there last week, a bruiser, had to be an 8 pointer.

C'mon down!  Bring your bows.  Make sure my wife ain't home though.  I hadda quit hunting when I got married.  Should have asked her about that BEFORE I said "I do"!  (yeah, I'm PW'd, I admit it!)

• Haha 1