oliver2-44

2020 Deer Hunting

Ed Kennell

5:30 - 10:30    in the tree...no deer.      This being the last day of archery, I pulled the trail cams.     Seems all my bucks have gone dark.  

WGI_0187.JPG.6ef6ad215451cfff4478829f626d960b.JPGWGI_0147.JPG.7bea95313b6f39869af3193443360a09.JPGWGI_0021.JPG.13aa30c5c15aff5fb9b8d79c9ad9153b.JPG

• Sad 2

Pullstart
7 hours ago, Zeek said:

It was kind spotty depending on where we were at. Once we got settled it was good, but I also built a garage and did a whole house paint remodel so I didn't have a lot of time.

I keep a trap out there all the time. When I start to see activity (destruction), we bait it with fermented corn. We have four more to get that were on the game camera with the one caught yesterday.

I’d be interested to see your trap, if you have a moment to share...

WHX??

Made it to deer camp and got it opened up.. be sitting up here tomorrow. Not much activity on the cams tho so may have to settle for bacon and eggs up ther.:lol: Yep have a little stove I can cook on!

20201120_121910.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

JCM

Looks pretty cozy up there Jimbo.  :thumbs:

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Good luck Uncle Jim!  

Ed Kennell
12 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Made it to deer camp and got it opened up.. be sitting up here tomorrow. Not much activity on the cams tho so may have to settle for bacon and eggs up ther.:lol: Yep have a little stove I can cook on!

20201120_121910.jpg

Now that's roughin it.      I'm sure you have indoor plumbing and a gen set. but that's a lot of steps for an old guy.   :ychain:

Be safe and good luck.

• Haha 3

Zeek
18 hours ago, pullstart said:

I’d be interested to see your trap, if you have a moment to share...

It's an 8' x 8' x 4' with a trigger that drops the door closed. We bait it with fermented corn.

20201121_084307.jpg.26273bd9140d35335f5073deac51961a.jpg

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

Last day of archery yesterday.    I didn't see a deer all day.   It was a clear sky and I could see into the field really well so I stayed in the tree 1/2 hour past  legal shooting time.

Lowered the bow on my rope and started to climb down.        

You guessed it, there stood a decent buck 35 @ Yds  in the field.     The same one I have on the trail cam several times.

WGI_0021.JPG.24dbb2e2aeb7c463d89281d56455d026.JPG

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Sad 3

SylvanLakeWH

Next year... :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

WHX??
14 hours ago, JCM said:

Looks pretty cozy up there Jimbo.  :thumbs:

My own version of the love shack Plunge!  No genny or plumbing other than a water bottle so still have to go to the bathroom like a bear. :lol:

Had mom and her little one in this am for a couple of hours. Buck only country up here. Guess they are trying to increase the herd. 

Did have some high speed beef come thru. Possibly a buck chaseing a doe?? Way too fast for a P I so the 7mm-08 stayed silent.  

20201121_072745.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

Figured out my problem!  I haven’t been wearing my “lucky” hat!  Thanks to Rylee finding it, let the hunt begin!

This thing’s so old, it smells like buck fever!

24B387C9-45FE-4C13-B58B-8019A7B5A37E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

Can’t eat the antlers!

8AC79483-CD37-42AB-9D27-E73E643DC53C.jpeg

• Excellent 5

Pullstart

What a perfect way to celebrate, venison chili I put in the crock pot to simmer all day!

Tonight, I’ll be in bed at a decent hour so I can start another hunt in the am!  My uncle and second cousin are going to be sitting on the other side of the field too.

22C17B4B-A1C3-48B5-B243-EB210062D711.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
16 hours ago, pullstart said:

Can’t eat the antlers!

8AC79483-CD37-42AB-9D27-E73E643DC53C.jpeg

Heard tell that tag needs to boiled long to taste good too. :D

• Haha 2

Pullstart

My second cousin, being in [virtual] school, doesn’t have as much opportunity to hunt as I do, or my uncle (his Grandpa).  I offered to walk the field, but for some reason they were concerned about shooting at me, or at a deer with me in proximity.  No luck on the deer push, but they caught my solution to not getting shot.  The grass is about 5’ tall in some areas.  Found me a 6’ stick to hang some orange on.

No luck finding food, but at least I didn’t get shot!

206CFEA5-22E6-421B-A91B-7405DBD142A2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

ACman

I haven’t been out there yet but some friends and family have. 

this young lady took this buck behind my house on their family farm with a crossbow . 
A92E96E3-6B7B-47A4-8239-B42B8E48286A.jpeg.a9e825128a87a7462331a7f820d7a283.jpeg

These next two were taken off my family’s farm by my cousins. The first one was by bow and the second one with a 44 magnum .843BC0A2-5CBE-474C-8449-28623B3658EA.jpeg.865a410f77896add287b8035e940877a.jpegB533854C-1D26-4B37-BA5A-B5F5678AC74F.jpeg.2a4674a59c9ba0ee2c078b13d32cdfb6.jpeg

This one is my neighbor and I think she shot it over by Ionia Michigan

000B723F-CF37-4923-8AAC-742E5AEA718B.jpeg

Edited by ACman
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 2

WHX??

Pretty slow as far as deer movement. Got bored up in the stand today so installed a shelf. 

20201125_085331.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Looks white out there, Uncle Jim!  We had some snow yesterday, but it melted off quick.  It seems like it’s been a slow year for sure!

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

:sad-bored::icecream:   :confusion-waiting:     Waiting for our Saturday rifle opener.

• Like 2

Greentored

Looks like you fellas are wackin and stackin em!!

Kinda late to the party, but I'm out there almost daily after work, taking the climber into the trees a few hundred yards from my shop. For the most part, I sit up there, eat Copenhagen and send stupid selfies to the girlfriend and watch the 458,000 squirrels:lol:. Been busted twice on my way out by a decent buck with his nose up a big doe's rear, so been moving around a bit trying to get him figured out.  Last Thursday he popped out right under my stand, busted me when trying to draw on him at about 4 yards, came back to within 20 and I took a shot.  Grunt call got snagged by the string and ripped it off my neck, obviously missing him entirely, followed by a string of words I cant repeat on here.

Muzzle loader opened here almost two weeks ago, and rifle opened this past Saturday. Although I have plenty of each that are proven 'harvesters', I still like the challenge of the stick n string til the last few weeks of the season.

deer1.jpg

deer2.jpg

• Haha 4

Pullstart

Hey Scott, we’re not fishing here!  No need for the worm dirt in your hand!  :ROTF:

Edited by pullstart
*worm*
  • Haha 1

Oldskool

Fresh snow falling and getting out of work early. Maybe just maybe catch one off guard today. Only 3 days left

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Greentored
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

Hey Scott, we’re not fishing here!  No need for the worm dirt in your hand!  :ROTF:

The worst part is, I got doe pee on my 'pinching' fingers, and was struggling trying to use the opposite hand without losing half the tin down the front of my jacket!

• Haha 2

WHX??
4 hours ago, pullstart said:

Looks white out there, Uncle Jim!  We had some snow yesterday, but it melted off quick.

Yep got about an inch and half yesterday. Nite lows in the upper teens days in the low to mid 30s .. good hanging weather. 

Snow always help spot them coming in the thick woods. 

• Like 2

Pullstart

I forget about the Thanksgiving city slickers slaying event across the street... 2-5 shots per minute, all afternoon :(  They push like crazy.  I’m not sure if I should be in my stand when they run to refuge in my grass, or kiss my hunting goodbye for the season.

• Sad 2