Oldskool

Project "Snow Drift"

Oldskool
10 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

.But why did they just disappear?  Seems like an awesome idea but something must have been wrong?  Besides some safety issues that could be addressed.  I've seen snow falls that covered all but the windshield up on my truck!  Maybe there will be a kit available soon for my WHs!

Along with the safety issues I think tracks may have taken there place. 

DennisThornton
2 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Along with the safety issues I think tracks may have taken there place. 

It seems so since tracks remain.  And I can see where the tracks would pack the soft snow for better traction than the screws.  Maybe the tracks do all the screws do but they sure don't have the WOW factor!  And, while I have no first hand experience contractors have told me that tracks are very maintenance heavy!  Screw tubes look easier to repair, perhaps just building up the threads from time to time.

Oldskool
24 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

It seems so since tracks remain.  And I can see where the tracks would pack the soft snow for better traction than the screws.  Maybe the tracks do all the screws do but they sure don't have the WOW factor!  And, while I have no first hand experience contractors have told me that tracks are very maintenance heavy!  Screw tubes look easier to repair, perhaps just building up the threads from time to time.

Oh for sure the screw drive is a wow factor. This build was almost a set of half tracks and skis for my RJ but I think this is more interesting. As far as maintaining tracks, metal tracks can be an on going repair once they get some age on them. You never know when the next thing will break. 

• Excellent 1

Oldskool

This thing should be standing on all 4's tomorrow.

20201115_191820.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

Oldskool

Well well some goodies showed up

20201116_164139.jpg

• Like 4

Oldskool

Anyone have a circuit board for a 20yr old Century 160 mig welder lol? Looks like I'm in a holding pattern for a bit. Just when parts were starting to show up.

• Sad 1

Oldskool
12 minutes ago, wallfish said:

These guys have a bunch of service parts. Maybe they can help

https://www.centurytool.net/117_037_83160_Century_160_Amp_MIG_Welder_Phase_Control_s/1810.htm

Or some cash and go on craigslist 

Thank you.  I found that site last night. They want 300 bucks!  Jeez I dont know if it's worth it for a 20yr old welder. I'm sure the next thing to go would be another $300 or more. I knew this day would come sooner or later.

Lee1977

I think someone is plotting against us my Miller Thunder Bolt quit last week. It's only 50 years old I bought it in 1969. I was going to put it up on the work bench a see what was wrong but it's so heavy I can't get it up there.

That thing was not that heavy 20 years ago.  

Edited by Lee1977
  • Haha 6

Oldskool
1 minute ago, Lee1977 said:

I think someone is plotting against us my Miller Thunder Bolt quit last week. It's only 50 years old I bought it in 1969. I was going to put it up on the work bench a see what was wrong but it's so heavy I can't get it up there.

That thing was not that heavy 20 years ago.  

I'm blaming it on 2020 in general. Also i think gravity has gotten stronger in the last 20 yrs. because I've been having the same problem lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Oldskool

A big brown truck made another delivery today. I think these mamma jammas should do the job.

20201118_171846.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

rjg854
11 hours ago, Oldskool said:

Also i think gravity has gotten stronger in the last 20 yrs. because I've been having the same problem lol

:text-yeahthat:

• Haha 1

Oldskool

I think I am back in action. I acquired this little gem last night. 110volt so semi portable. Also with it being in the teens this morning I'm getting a late enough start at work to be able to drop some stuff off at the machine shop.

20201119_064019.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Nice find Sir

• Excellent 1

Oldskool

Getting back on track. Tore it down, flipped over and added a wishbone to the front. I was asking to much of that front pin. I think I started out under-building a bit

20201120_181124.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

Oldskool

The donor is headed into the butcher shop in anticipation of a rain day off from work. Looks like alot of usable pieces to be had.

20201122_120607.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine
31 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

donor

So the lever that has the notches is your speed selector? Then the two hand levers are what? Forward? Reverse? Both?

• Like 1

Handy Don

My guess is notched lever is the cutting height selector and the two arms are motion control for the respective sides.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Oldskool
18 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

So the lever that has the notches is your speed selector? Then the two hand levers are what? Forward? Reverse? Both?

The one with the notches was the deck hieght. Yes the others are forward/reverse

• Thanks 1

Oldskool
Just now, Handy Don said:

My guess is notched lever is the cutting height selector and the two arms are motion control for the respective sides.

Correct 

• Thanks 1

Oldskool

Here they are. Now to get them mounted

20201122_181416.jpg

• Like 3

Oldskool

Getting a better feel for things

20201122_185147.jpg

• Like 1

Handy Don

So two completely separate hydro units. Were they driven by a single "serpentine" belt or does one side have a dual pulley with a separate belt to the other hydro similar to a WH mower deck?

Handy Don

Also just realized that on a zero turn, the motion controls move fore and aft in the direction(s) of travel. For your application, the "native" controls will move side to side because the driven "axles" are longitudinal and not transverse. So both outward for one direction and both inward for the other direction--can't get my head around driving something like that. Assuming you are thinking of a linkage that reorients the control movements. :D 

Thanks for sharing the progress and the pics.

• Like 2

DennisThornton
3 hours ago, Oldskool said:

Getting a better feel for things

20201122_185147.jpg

Slowly, it showed itself!

• Like 2