Dumpbarrow.jpg

Forklift dozer blade.jpg

Battery box back weight.jpg

Forklift winch.jpg

Edited by DennisThornton
edit photo
  • Like 4

DennisThornton

How do I delete an uploaded photo in the above?  

WHX??

Click on edit then click on the garbage can on the pics you want to delete on the bottom. 

ebinmaine

Heckovan idea. 

DennisThornton
4 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Click on edit then click on the garbage can on the pics you want to delete on the bottom. 

Man I had a hard time finding that little garbage can!

But I kept looking! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Vurge

Converting to electric is actually not too bad of a project.  It looks like he's running the tractor off the four 6v golf cart batteries and the winch off a separate 12v battery up front.  The6 electric motor is mounted horizontally behind that plate in the engine compartment.  Can't tell from the pictures whether he is using any kind of speed control on the motor or relying solely on the tractor gearing.   

Here's a pic of a little Craftsman I've got set up to tow the garden cart around.  Three 75ah deep cycle batteries.  No hearing protection needed!  The transmission is louder than the motor. A hydro model would be great (but slower).  I actually burnt up the 1hp motor in the picture by running too slow.  Now have a 2.5hp installed in the same position and reduced the front tire size.  I have it running at 11mph in 6th gear and that's plenty.   You can see the hall effect foot pedal in the first pic.  Sure beats a hand throttle when driving around.  

I also have a 20amp buck converter stuffed in there.  I pull a 100 gallon water tank with a electric pump to wet down the dirt around the house.  

15966521318600.jpg

15901837353500.jpg

Edited by Vurge
  • Like 2

DennisThornton

20 amp buck converter?  I thought you'd need 200 or so?

Nice conversion!  Approx how long can you use it between charges?

Vurge
2 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

20 amp buck converter?  I thought you'd need 200 or so?

Nice conversion!  Approx how long can you use it between charges?

The motor is 36v and runs off a 50amp motor controller.  I thought it might be undersized, but I actually haven't gotten to heat up... At most it's gotten slightly warm.   The buck converter converts 36v to 12v so that I can pull power from all three batteries at once. That prevents the batteries from becoming unbalanced.   

Based on my calculations I should be able to run an hour at full load, but with 6 gears on this Craftsman the motor is hardly working.  I've used it to spray a few rows of trees and it went a 2-3 hours without running low on charge. 

The only time I feel the overload a kick in on the controller is when I floor the pedal in the higher gears. My safety fuse pops right about then too.  I'm not 16 anymore so that was only during the testing phase.  Just kidding.  I have a bigger fuse and golf cart controller (200 amp) in a box waiting for me to have time to swap them in!  😂 

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, Vurge said:

The motor is 36v and runs off a 50amp motor controller.  I thought it might be undersized, but I actually haven't gotten to heat up... At most it's gotten slightly warm.   The buck converter converts 36v to 12v so that I can pull power from all three batteries at once. That prevents the batteries from becoming unbalanced.   

Based on my calculations I should be able to run an hour at full load, but with 6 gears on this Craftsman the motor is hardly working.  I've used it to spray a few rows of trees and it went a 2-3 hours without running low on charge. 

The only time I feel the overload a kick in on the controller is when I floor the pedal in the higher gears. My safety fuse pops right about then too.  I'm not 16 anymore so that was only during the testing phase.  Just kidding.  I have a bigger fuse and golf cart controller (200 amp) in a box waiting for me to have time to swap them in!  😂 

Interesting for sure but I'm still weak in the buck controller department.  

Motor is 36v.

You're running the three 12v batteries in series for 36v combined.

But then the buck converter supplies 12v to the 36v motor?  Confused...

Vurge
2 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Interesting for sure but I'm still weak in the buck controller department.  

Motor is 36v.

You're running the three 12v batteries in series for 36v combined.

But then the buck converter supplies 12v to the 36v motor?  Confused...

Sorry for the confusion.  The buck converter drops the 36v to 12v so I can power the headlights and spray pump.  The drive motor itself is 36v. 

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, Vurge said:

Sorry for the confusion.  The buck converter drops the 36v to 12v so I can power the headlights and spray pump.  The drive motor itself is 36v. 

Now I'm better!  You had me there for a bit.

So the owner of the topic at hand used another battery you used the buck converter instead and rather than draw one battery down more so than the other two.

Thanks

Vurge

Dang it.  Now you have me wanting to start another project.  I have the same Craftsman as in that picture. Since mine needs an engine replacement anyway.... I've litterally got all the necessary parts except for the batteries. I have a spare electric motor and controller and access to a dead pallet jack..... 

DennisThornton
On 10/31/2020 at 12:19 PM, Vurge said:

Now I'm better!  You had me there for a bit.

So the owner of the topic at hand used another battery you used the buck converter instead and rather than draw one battery down more so than the other two.

Thanks

DennisThornton
3 hours ago, Vurge said:

Dang it.  Now you have me wanting to start another project.  I have the same Craftsman as in that picture. Since mine needs an engine replacement anyway.... I've litterally got all the necessary parts except for the batteries. I have a spare electric motor and controller and access to a dead pallet jack..... 

I think the electric powered tractor is cool but it's the electric winch forklift that is trying to get on my todo list.   And you just reminded me that I have two pallet jacks and only need one.

Vurge
2 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

I think the electric powered tractor is cool but it's the electric winch forklift that is trying to get on my todo list.   And you just reminded me that I have two pallet jacks and only need one.

Same here.  I have a 24v forklift but it's got solid warehouse tires.  It would be nice to have something that can run on gravel and dirt. I don't need too much lift so I think a linear actuator will be the ticket. 

• Like 1

DennisThornton

I hadn't thought about a linear actuator but yes, mostly all I'd want to do is lift up, move and drop!  Sort of like comparing a FEL with a JohnnyBucket, not loading just moving.

I like it!

Vurge

And this is why I've got enough "winter projects" for the next 10 years! 😂 

Vurge
On 11/1/2020 at 5:52 PM, DennisThornton said:

I hadn't thought about a linear actuator but yes, mostly all I'd want to do is lift up, move and drop!  Sort of like comparing a FEL with a JohnnyBucket, not loading just moving.

I like it!

I've been watching this one for a while and the Ebay seller just offered me a deal I can't refuse (less than 1/2 the price of what I paid  from another seller).  Not sure how I'll use this yet, but I bought it anyway.   He's got another one.  It's listed as a Minuteman Permanent Magnet Motor. 

16094760287371.png

Edited by Vurge
Took out eBay screenshot.... Not sure if that was allowed.
  • Like 2