Sign in to follow this  
ycmboy3531

1969 Charger 10

ycmboy3531

Hello Horse Owners:

I am new to this forum and the Wheel Horse Community. I am here to ask your opinions on purchasing a 1969 Charger 10 automatic.

Story behind it is as follows: Current owner is an older gentleman that is the second owner. He bought his home with it and kept it now unused for the past 20 years. He rebuilt the engine, I believe he said sometimelast year. Over the weekend he filled it up with gas and it started on the second turn. She sounded really strong, almost new-like!!! Owner actually has a second one [new model] sitting nearby and swears by both of them.

But here is the thing. Im a acutually in the market for a lawn tractor and accidently came across this machine. If if purchase this I will be putting it to work, im not gonna beat on it, but she's gonna have to cut my 1/2 acre lawn every so often.

What do you think I should be spending for this machine. Owner is asking $500 for it, but as I said I'm not familiar with WH and naturally a little hesitant to shell out $500 for something I know little off. Also I want to know if I'm actually lucky to find something like this or better off buying something else, like John Deere, Craftsman etc

Please help

YCMBOY3531

HorseFixer

Hello Horse Owners:

I am new to this forum and the Wheel Horse Community. I am here to ask your opinions on purchasing a 1969 Charger 10 automatic.

Story behind it is as follows: Current owner is an older gentleman that is the second owner. He bought his home with it and kept it now unused for the past 20 years. He rebuilt the engine, I believe he said sometimelast year. Over the weekend he filled it up with gas and it started on the second turn. She sounded really strong, almost new-like!!! Owner actually has a second one [new model] sitting nearby and swears by both of them.

But here is the thing. Im a acutually in the market for a lawn tractor and accidently came across this machine. If if purchase this I will be putting it to work, im not gonna beat on it, but she's gonna have to cut my 1/2 acre lawn every so often.

What do you think I should be spending for this machine. Owner is asking $500 for it, but as I said I'm not familiar with WH and naturally a little hesitant to shell out $500 for something I know little off. Also I want to know if I'm actually lucky to find something like this or better off buying something else, like John Deere, Craftsman etc

Please help

YCMBOY3531

:( Well talking crapman and JD yer flirting with getting bannned! :drool: Just kidding! Hmmm new engine you say? Well If the tractor has been taken care of and it sounds like it has a $500.00 bill would not be that bad but I would try and swindle him down a little lower! Try and get him at $ 300 or $350 just to give you some wiggle room. to rebuild a 10hp Kohler engine with original Kohler Parts will cost you about $500.00 just remember that! Good Luck! :omg:

travisg84

Just keep in mind after you get one you will want another! :omg:

gwgdog66

:omg: You will be hard pressed to find any newer machines on the market that are as solid as a Wheel Horse.

Coadster32

:drool: If you score now, you'll pay later. :omg: :drool:

WheelHorse_of_course

:drool:

Does it include a mower deck? How does the deck sound? Is the transmission responsive even after it warms up?

You will find that a WH is not afraid to work hard. But depending on excatly the condition you may need to do some work.

Assuing the mower deck is also in good condition (no rust through and sounds good) $500 is probably fair, but you should try to talk him down. After all it is a horse, so a little "horse trading" is par for the course

Offer $300 and see if you can land at something less than :drool:

I doubt very much you will regret the purchase.

:omg:

Suburban 550

:drool: Good luck with your decision. :omg:

nomad327

I bought a 69 Charger 10 back in 1980 and it's been mowing my 3 acre plot for 29 years with minimal maintenance, and looks about the same as it did when I got it. I rebuilt the engine two years ago, and spent a bit over $200 just on parts. As long as the deck is quiet, and the transmision seems responsive, I would guess it would outlast at least a couple of brand new modern machines bought in place of it.

Olratlr

Good Luck and Happy hunting for your Wheel Horse. :omg:

wheel horse 1045

we want pictures if you get it