JohnD

Eaton hydrostatic power

JohnD

I was pulling a load of about 200 pounds of wood on a trailer up a (12 degree?) hill the other day with my C-175 with a KT17 and an Eaton hydrostatic.  I was creeping up the hill and just for grins I decided to 'floor it' with the transmission and go to full speed.  I didn't notice a speed change, no spinning wheels, I just kept on climbing up the hill.  Is that normal or might this transmission be due for a rebuild?  I probably only have about 10 hours on it since I bought it.  The fluid is still as clean as the first day, and I don't know when it was previously changed.  At this point I'm thinking I should change the transmission fluid before the snow falls. 

I plan to plow up a hill this winter with it; probably up to about 4"; if it is deeper than that I'll pull out my walk behind snowthrower.  Will this trans keep up with plowing? 

Is there any test I can run?  Maybe put the plow on and then see if it can push a ___?  Or park the plow against something solid and see if the wheels (with chains at the moment) spin? 

On a related note, does anyone know the Kohler filter for an Eaton (1983 C-175) (Toro/Wheelhorse 108335 is on PartsTree)?  I saw a Kohler filter on the shelf at TSC the other day, but this one just happens to be mounted that I can't see the part number until I remove it; I'd rather have all my parts before I start draining.  Of course, running to the store while draining will give me a nice long drain... 

squonk

Sounds like it may be getting tired. Are the trans fins clean? You may need to pull the fender pan and really give it a good cleaning. Use Mobil 1 in the trans and a Napa 1410 filter

• Like 2

953 nut
10 hours ago, JohnD said:

pulling a load of about 200 pounds of wood on a trailer up a (12 degree?) hill the other day with my C-175 with a KT17 and an Eaton hydrostatic.

You never mentioned the throttle position. With a Hydromatic you should be near wide open throttle at all times to have proper cooling and pressure. Oil and filter change would be a good investment and as Mike said, clean the cooling fins and be sure the cooling fan is in good condition.

• Like 2

illinilefttackle

Throttle advancing plate slipping? Under the seat-check it- it happened to me- Good Luck- Al

WVHillbilly520H

TORO 795250 for the transaxle... Kohler should only be for the engine.    BTW this could be hiding under the fenders.

IMAG2020.jpg

IMAG2017.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

JohnD

Thanks all.  I had the fenders off last week while I was checking for leaks.  I have a minor leak at the lift control that leaves me a few drips on the ground the next morning, but nothing that has lowered the trans fluid level.  I checked the advancing plate; it looked like it was working properly.  I'll check it again.  

I didn't mention that this tractor does run fast on flat ground (at least it did before I had the fenders off!). 

Interesting comment about not using a Kohler filter on the transmission...  I wonder why the PO did that. 

This will be a good weekend for a transmission fluid change.  The plows probably going on too as they're starting to hint at snow in October. 

WVHillbilly520H
39 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Thanks all.  I had the fenders off last week while I was checking for leaks.  I have a minor leak at the lift control that leaves me a few drips on the ground the next morning, but nothing that has lowered the trans fluid level.  I checked the advancing plate; it looked like it was working properly.  I'll check it again.  

I didn't mention that this tractor does run fast on flat ground (at least it did before I had the fenders off!). 

Interesting comment about not using a Kohler filter on the transmission...  I wonder why the PO did that. 

This will be a good weekend for a transmission fluid change.  The plows probably going on too as they're starting to hint at snow in October. 

As far i as know (and I could be wrong) but Kohler only built engines and commodes not hydraulic units and transaxles so I would say that it may not be handling the pressures that a hydraulic filter was intended such as the Toro or Napa 1410 version.

953 nut
1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Many automotive and industrial oil filters will LOOK like the correct filter but being an oil filter rather than a hydraulic fitter they will have a pressure relief valve built in that robs power. 

JohnD

Minor mystery solved.  I climbed underneath to locate the drain plug and can see the Wheel Horse/Toro logo on the filter.  I guess more than one company can use black paint, eh? 

• Like 1

JohnD

I saw comments about lifting the front end during an oil change for a Sunstrand.  it looks like the Eaton drain plug is in a pretty good spot.  Is it better to lift the front of the tractor to drain an Eaton too? 

WVHillbilly520H
9 hours ago, JohnD said:

Minor mystery solved.  I climbed underneath to locate the drain plug and can see the Wheel Horse/Toro logo on the filter.  I guess more than one company can use black paint, eh? 

Most new Kohler filters are yellow. And I have not lifted the front to drain my Eaton rear... Oil going back in will be a chore unless you remove a bolt or leave the filter off for venting while refilling.

• Like 1

bds1984

Not all automotive filers have the bypass valve.  Many engines have that feature built into the engine block around the oil pump area.  I have used a few Purolator and Wix engine oil filters on Eaton 1100s before, I just look for models with no bypass valves in them (I must have bought over fifty of them for $.29 each at all the Kmarts around me before they closed).  And before everyone gets all worked up over it, 1) it was temporary so I could flush out the system, and 2) the gallons per minute, micron rating, filtering media, and burst pressure were identical to the 1410 Napa.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

JohnD

I finished changing the hydrostatic fluid late last night, so I'll see how it performs tomorrow. 

One thing I noticed today while warming up the hydrostatic for the oil change is that it howls under high loads (hill climbiing, acceleration, etc.).  At least I believe the howl is from the transmission.  Is that a (bad) sign? 

tom2p
1 hour ago, JohnD said:

I finished changing the hydrostatic fluid late last night, so I'll see how it performs tomorrow. 

One thing I noticed today while warming up the hydrostatic for the oil change is that it howls under high loads (hill climbiing, acceleration, etc.).  At least I believe the howl is from the transmission.  Is that a (bad) sign? 

only a guess - and especially without actually listening to it - but some noises (whine and possibly howl) can be traced to a leak ... small amount of air ...

can also indicate low fluid level 

don't know if that can be the case when under a load 

how did the old fluid look ?

JohnD

The old fluid looked very clean on the dipstick.  It was a bit darker while draining, but still looked pretty good (my first hydro, so I don't really have a reference). 

JohnD

With the new fluid it still has a howl under load; maybe it is quieter?  When I brace the front wheels against a wall it spins the tires on gravel, so it seems like it has adequate torque/power.  I'll see what happens when the snow comes.  Thanks for your help, y'all! 

bds1984

For what it is worth, my 520H's transmission is very noisy when it is cold out upon first start up, but once it has been running for a few minutes, she quiets down.  I really haven't seen too many hydros that don't make some level of noise when they're cold.

Edited by bds1984
spelling
  • Like 1

Goofey

Work it hard till it's hot. then see if it will still spin the wheels If not you have a problem. If it does you say huh and forget about it till next service.

• Like 1

Scott24
On 10/22/2020 at 8:08 AM, illinilefttackle said:

Throttle advancing plate slipping? Under the seat-check it- it happened to me- Good Luck- Al

Just wondering how hard is this to adjust?  I believe mine might be slipping as well because on a flat surface it can move right along and at other times it just creeps.  Thanks.

dcrage
12 hours ago, Scott24 said:

Just wondering how hard is this to adjust?  I believe mine might be slipping as well because on a flat surface it can move right along and at other times it just creeps.  Thanks.

Very easy. Just tighten the nut on top of the cam plate a small amount and then give it a test drive. Tighten or loosen depending on test drive results. NOTE: the cam plate is NOT to be lubricated. 

Lee1977

I had to replace the cam and the cam plate on my 520-H after I got it last year.  I had a fast reverse and a lot slower forward both the cam and the plate was worn and could not be adjusted to fix the problem.

It also made it hard to go back forward with out using the brake to stop the tractor and bring the control leaver back to naturel. I also replaced the rod joints with a good grade of 1/4" heims joints.           

JohnD

Interesting.  I've noticed my hydro doesn't like to decrease speed in reverse.  It's pretty much all or nothing unless I'm creeping.  I'll have to try a tweak and see how it compares.  Nice of WH to put the hole in the fenders for easy access to the nut! 

Forward seems fine with about 6 mph top speed when I'm unloaded, and the torque seems good, just slow (that's where I started this thread).