Sailman

still need help with C120 auto friction control problem

Sailman

Have a very sloppy friction control on my c120. Folks here have offered help with diagrams and info but no solutions yet. The hollow tube is outside of the threads in the threaded guide ( circled in red) and will not slide closer to the threaded guide. Even tried applying leverage against the locking nut and right side housing...but no movement, it won't budge.

Any ideas why the hollow tube doesn't simply slide up to the threaded guide where it could start the threads? No way to put tension on the spring with the hollow tube outside the threaded guide :dunno:

Could the hollow tube be buggered up on the end of the housing next to the drive belt keeping it from sliding freely. (yellow circle) Any thoughts?

If I take the rod loose at the locking tab would I be able to pull it out enough (up to the woodruff key) to maybe engage the threads enough to hold hollow tube into the threaded guide and then try to work the shaft back in place?

Any manuals on how to correctly disassemble the whole unit?

friction control.jpg

JohnD

Is that 'auto friction control' the adjustment on the brake?  The PO on my C-175 wrapped an elastic strap around the transaxle and clipped it to the bracket.  It works great. 

IMG_5921[1].JPG

gwest_ca

I can not find anything on it nor do I understand what you are up against. Maybe these will generate some interest.

Is the Woodruff key keyed to the cone?

Looks to me the threaded 6-60 is crushed or there is a burr on 6-55 preventing it from advancing down the rod. Can you turn 6-60 around and see how far it goes on?

The rod may just pull out. With the 6-42 bushing out the hole is likely large enough to allow the Woodruff key to pass through the hole.

Garry

Tractor 1971 Charger Hydro friction parts SS.jpg

Tractor 1968 Charger Hydro friction SS.jpg

• Thanks 1

pfrederi

The end of the sleeve could be damaged or just corroded to the cross shaft .  Remove the bolt holding the cross shaft and try to drive it to the left a bit If that doesn't reveal the problem pull the cross shaft all the way out and then take the whole unit handle and all out of the tractor.  (Catch the woodruff key)  The cones, springs, and #6-57 will stay inside the handle assembly you will have to catch the threaded sleeve and lock nut.   Then you can take it apart and see what is causing you r issue.  When you put it back in make sure the keyway in the cone is a 12 oclock then when you insert the cross shaft with the key at 12 it will go in easier.

IMG_0121.JPG

IMG_0122.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Lost.soul.collecter

I have a  C-120 also I have a question about a part i been looking for I order a set of them on ebay and they insured me they was right and they wasnt but I need some rear axle seals for mine did some more digging and I think I found a part number for AXLE SEALS PART# 100443 but I'm still not sure if someone knows its would be greatly appreciated im posting some pics of the axle and the old seal

20201020_185259.jpg

20201020_185312.jpg

20201020_185317.jpg

20201020_185340.jpg

• Confused 1

gwest_ca

The C-120 8-Speed used one of these transmissions.

100443 seal is correct for 1-1/8" diameter axles

Click on the fuzzy pictures for more info

Garry

Lost.soul.collecter
8 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

The C-120 8-Speed used one of these transmissions.

100443 seal is correct for 1-1/8" diameter axles

Click on the fuzzy pictures for more info

Garry

Thank you so much all this helps alot now that I'm sure I have the right part number I can order them and get the right ones this time I hope lol you don't happen to know a place to buy them beside ebay or Amazon do you??

Sailman

Not sure how the thread got changed to a transmission seal issue....:dunno:

But to those who responded to my friction control issue...THANKS for the diagrams and suggestions! Just wanted to know what I was getting into. Will try pulling the cross shaft to the left and see if I can access the end of the 6-59 hollow tube. Might be able to cut the end off if its bad keeping enough 5/8 for adjusting. Will let you know what I find. :bow-blue:

Lost.soul.collecter
53 minutes ago, Sailman said:

Not sure how the thread got changed to a transmission seal issue....:dunno:

But to those who responded to my friction control issue...THANKS for the diagrams and suggestions! Just wanted to know what I was getting into. Will try pulling the cross shaft to the left and see if I can access the end of the 6-59 hollow tube. Might be able to cut the end off if its bad keeping enough 5/8 for adjusting. Will let you know what I find. :bow-blue:

Just want to say sorry wasn't trying to change your post i have the same tractor a C-120  im redoing just thought id jump in and ask a couple questions I wasn't intending to offend you or  anyone hope you get your problem fixed best of luck have a nice day😃

Sailman

Best to start a new thread if you have an unrelated issue. My inquiry losses steam and I try to keep things relevant so the next guy with my problem can find some help, hopefully, from this thread.

No big deal.

Hope you get your issue fixed. Those C-120 Autos are great little tractors.

The folks on this site are a HUGE help!!!:bow-blue:

• Excellent 1

Sailman

Just a quick follow up to close out this thread. I always like to follow up to help the next guy looking to fix this issue. Was able to solve the problem by simply backing out the bolt holding the cross shaft (not all the way out). Allowed me to get the threads started on the threaded sleeve, then re-tightened the bolt and able to adjust tension as needed.

Easiest fix I have done on the wheel horse!! 

Thanks to the great folks on here who contributed diagrams and advice!!!