Red Headed Horse

Kohler K91

Red Headed Horse

I am looking for a K91 engine for my Suburban. Am I right that all K91 engines will essentially be ok to bolt straight onto the chassis in its original location? I guess what I am trying to say is it all the same size? Thanks 

wallfish

A K91 Kohler engine will bolt on but you need to watch for is the shaft. Some have a tapered shaft, some have gear reduction, etc.

You may have better luck finding one more local as in, on your side of the pond by posting an ad over on the My Old Machine forum. https://myoldmachine.com/

Lots of Wheel Horse and other engine guys on there. They are sought after here and probably a bit more rare over there but it's certainly worth a try.

• Like 4

953 nut

Chances are there will be someone willing to trade for a running HH60 if you don't plan to use it.. Like John said, got to look at the K-91to be sure it has the right crankshaft for your application.        Good luck.

• Like 1

Red Headed Horse

Thanks both of you. Yes the HH60 could be a possibility 

Red Headed Horse

I think I have sourced one which is bolted onto a generator. I have asked for photos and details of the engine. Hoping this might be of use to me....

Edited by Red Headed Horse

oliver2-44

Be sure to check the shaft as mentioned above.  if it is a direct connection to the generator it could have a tapered shaft. 

• Like 1

WHNJ701
13 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Be sure to check the shaft as mentioned above.  if it is a direct connection to the generator it could have a tapered shaft. 

I was looking a part # yesterday in my kohler book amazing how many variations of the k90/k91 crankshafts were made.

Also I remembered a guy had a little go cart with a briggs.  He just took an angle grinder to the crank shaft to grind the gear reduction off just to get the pulley onto it.  Hey it worked!

• Like 1

Red Headed Horse
On 11/1/2020 at 12:06 AM, oliver2-44 said:

Probably a dumb question but I assume I could change the shaft to the correct one? 

oliver2-44

@Red Headed Horse  yes you definitely could change shaft to correct one.

I know on the larger Kohler engines with the 1" shaft , if you have a tapered one, I've seen on here where members have found a tapered adapter of Ebay.  that could be an option for the K91 3/4" shaft but I don't recall hearing of it being done. 

• Like 1

pfrederi

If you could tolerate a 1" output....

taper.JPG

• Like 1

Red Headed Horse

Thanks you both for your input. I am still waiting for photos of the engine from the seller. Thanks again.