Sign in to follow this  
hifiwasabi

New engine for B-81

hifiwasabi

The 8 horse Briggs in my B-81 has caused me nothing but grief and went from being the 'reliable' tractor that will actually be used to cut grass to another garage ornament. I'd like to swap out the Briggs for a bigger, newer engine (possibly a V-twin) but I am unsure what the transaxle will handle for power. I won't be doing much other then running a mower deck with it and possibly a blade for grading or pushing snow. Any ideas?

Sean

hodge

If you don't abuse it, it should be fine. Lots of different horsepowers were used in front of the 4 and 8 pinion transaxles, with MANY years of reliable service. My GT 1600 has a 16 horse twin Briggs from the factory, with the 4 pinion/1" axle rear, and after 25 years, it is still strong and trouble free. You should be able to choose from a wide range of engines without having to worry.

Of course, you could always find an 8 horse Kohler. Strong and reliable, cheap to run and work on, and as solid as they come.

Jim_M

If I'm not mistaken I think the B-81 uses an aluminum Peerless transmission instead of the Wheel Horse Unidrive.

hodge

If I'm not mistaken I think the B-81 uses an aluminum Peerless transmission instead of the Wheel Horse Unidrive.

You are absolutely right. Sorry- I felt so good about helping someone, and all I did was get confused with a C-81. The B-81 is a vertical shaft, with the light duty rear end. I am sure you can find a replacement engine, but I would imagine you will need to treat it tenderly.

I apoligize for misleading info- thank goodness that others on here are more knowledgable than I, and looking over my shoulder. :omg:

hifiwasabi

Yes, its the aluminum Peerless, thats why I asked instead of popping a 20HP v twin on. I have no idea how well these things stand up to increased power so I'm hoping someone knows.

Jim_M

I would think you could go to 15 horsepower without hurting it as long as you don't try to overwork it. You will never hurt it running a mower deck, but the snow blade is a different story, just keep in mind that it's an aluminum transaxle and don't push it too hard and it should last.

Jim_M

There are several of those Chinese diesels powering Wheel Horses, I have one myself. I've never seen one in a vertical shaft configuration though.

hifiwasabi

I would LOVE to add a diesel to the tractor but I've never seen one in verical shaft configuration either. All the tractor will be used for is running the stock 36" mower deck and occasionally some light grading (when my thumb heals and I can build the blade). I really only wanted to go as high as 14 or 15 HP, but I have seen some good deals on 20 HP single cylinder briggs'. I'll keep my eyes peeled at auction sales, theres always good iron at those things.

hodge

For a Repower (Even tho its made in China), I find this absolutely fascinating:

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=...catname=engines

No Idea how well it would work tho.

Eric :drool::omg:

I have used a welder down in Haiti with one of those diesels on it, and it ran all day on a tank of fuel, but man, was it loud!

hifiwasabi

Anyone know why they don't make vertical diesels? They'd be so much more economical and awesome then gassers.

hifiwasabi

Started snooping on the net and look what I came across!!

http://www.hatz-diesel.de/index.php?id=72&L=1

Hatz makes a few vertical shaft diesels that are about the size required for garden tractors but I can imagine they would be rather expensive.