roy

PTO clutch on ground!

roy

I;ve misplaced the manual for my 418-A so posting to at least get an idea on what I;m facing here.

Son cutting the grass, came running in the house yelling Dad, Toro is smoking like crazy!!

At least he shut her off, anyway, I can't see any fire, smoke but I do see, what I assume is  a clutch plate on the grass, in 3 pieces.

Its paper then & I  pull  the last chunk of the clutch plate,  from behind the belt pulley.

Without the manual, this is unknown territory to me as to what I;m in for.

I will pull the belt, pulleys & then where do I go from there?

Thanks for any info folks

PS - Looks like he turned into a hill & maybe the blade or blades got lodged into the side of the hill,spinning the belt on pulley?

There is a large divot where he wedged into the hill

Roger

• Sad 1

JohnD

"At least he shut her off" - smart kid!

Post a photo of the carnage.  That might help others figure this one out. 

Edited by JohnD
!
  • Like 1

wallfish

Smoke was probably the slipping belt and or the slipping clutch plate over heating. Once you remove the PTO clutch pulleys you will see the bolts holding the clutch plate to the trans drive pulley.

Place a wanted ad here in the classified section for a replacement clutch or new clutch material can be ordered from McMaster-Carr if you're up for the repair or can't find a replacement fast enough. Probably need a new deck belt too. Inspect the bearings while you have it apart and grease them as the heat may have boiled the old grease

• Like 2

squonk

K& B Horse parts in our vendor section has the clutch plates

• Like 2

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:       A good source for all things :wh: is A-Z Parts, Lincoln will fix you up.     https://a-ztractor.com/

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Illustrations always help

Since the product changed very little over the years this older service manual for the C-Series applies to the 418 except wiring.

Garry

• Like 1

peter lena

ROY, sounds like your son ran the horse/deck into the ground   at cutting speed , the engine was trying to drive the belt , the deck and blades were trying to operate , the weak spot was the clutch face , instantly going to smoking hot , and breaking up into pieces. all of the related damaged parts can be found , maybe even locally  , I also agree that the tractor should be thoroughly looked over and serviced to verify operation. very important , is to explain this to your son , learning from a mistake / or screw up is a vital part of life. he and you will be better off for it. go over your lawn at every  possible problem area with him . hope you get your parts , and go over detail lubrication at every movement point, you should also be using a hi/temp grease in all rotational points , let us know, pete 

Racinbob

You can also contact @rednos her. He had a bunch of NOS plates and I'm pretty sure he'll still have some. :)

• Like 1

roy

Well, You guys certainly came through, Thanks so much. Pics are invaluable

Peter- Exactly what happened, turned out of the ditch, into the hill & wedged the deck/blades into the hard ground, something had to give

Will definitely  fix myself, I will post pics if you like, soon as I get her apart, doesn't look or sound like a tough job.

Speaking of parts, I get mine from a local tractor supplier, Markham mower , Markham Ontario just south of me. Mind you,  I ordered a trans. filter, about a month ago

still not in yet, cost- $33.00

Will reach out to suggestions above, @rednos for sure(Is that like a Twitter address?), soon as I know what I need.

Thanks again to all

Roger - Mt.Albert, Ontario

pfrederi

If they have Wix filters in Canada you can use 51410  probably a lot less than $33.

peter lena

roy ,yup that's what it looked like to me , any of those engine driven set ups , can come to a violent stop with a solid object,  once you go over your yard service area and are familiar with it , you might even put a few ground markers in place to give a warning , pete

Racinbob
24 minutes ago, roy said:

Will reach out to suggestions above, @rednos for sure(Is that like a Twitter address?), soon as I know what I need.

That is his user name on tis forum. Click on it and you can send him a message. :)

roy

Racibob:

Messaging him tonight

Thanks

R

roy

Here is the remains 418-A pto clutch.

Tell me, the hollow shaft, I notice a groove around it at the end closest to the motor, was there a spring washer in that groove to hold it in place?

Clutch itself is about 1/!6" thick, at the most. Assuming its probably original.

Also, I;m assuming clutch itself had a center size of shaft, to hold it in place, eh?

I have txted renos, no reply so far.

Cheers

Roy

ToroCltch.jpg

pfrederi

You are missing a couple parts (two little half moons you can see their outline on the backing plate) and looks like the groove in the sleeve has been seriously damaged.

Half moons sit in the groove bolts go through them and the backing plates thread into the drive pulley.

IMG_0123.JPG

roy

I do have those two half moons, no doubt to distribute the bolt forces, eh. That ring of rust does make sleeve look awful, but, the actual groove, looks to be intact.

I will clean the sleeve up, if it will clean up & the actual  two  surfaces, that look like a flywheel & clutch surface

I;m assuming the clutch plate had a center section, with matching 4 bolt holes?

I can't find pics. of those pieces & if that sleeve groove has a purpose, like for a spring washer (maybe spring washer is wrong wording) or ?

Gentlemen,. thanks for all your help, eh.

I;m the only red tractor in a sea of green & yellow, so not much knowledge about Wheel horse locally!

Roy

pfrederi

No spring washer.  the four 1/4 NC bolts go through the half moons  which are sitting in the groove,  though the backing plate and thread into the drive pulley.  That holds the sleeve in place.  the outer cone with the needle bearing can slide in and out on the sleeve as you engage and disengage the PTO.

• Like 1

roy

Okay, I get it now, Thanks very much!

Going to pick up my pricey trans. filter tomorrow, will check with Markham mower for cost of new clutch.

Cheers

R