RJ Hamner

Where to Find Gold Plated Connectors for the Dreaded 9 Pin Connector

RJ Hamner

Has anyone found a good source for gold plated (not the thin plated stuff) male/female connectors?

And/or weather proof connector housings?

I’m still not sure if this was under engineered, or they didn’t think the product would last this long (couldn’t envision the Wheel Horse Collector's Club)

Asking for me and a friend :)

bcgold

Palladium plated connectors often mistaken for tin.

Flash Over Palladium Nickel (PdNi) Contact Plating

If Digikey doesn't list the part your looking for it hasn't been made yet no matter what part of he world you call home Digi has ya covered.

Africa
Middle East
North America

bcgold

Should be a part number embossed onto the connector, search Molex .If there were alternatives such as gold or palladium offered these would show up in the product listing.

spacer.png

Edited by bcgold

gwest_ca

I ask myself what is the purpose of the 9-pin connector?

The only valid reason I see is Onan likely supplied the wire up to the connector with the engine. On the assembly line Wheel Horse could plug their connector to the engine and done.

If I had one that connector would be history. Splice in a jumper wire with butt connectors, solder and shrink sleeves. Stagger the butt connectors so none are next to another to keep the bundle size to a minimum and no more problems.

If the engine must come out the end of each wire has a removeable connector at the engine end.

Garry

• Excellent 2

RJ Hamner

Garry

That idea has crossed my mind. 
Bob

squonk
2 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

I ask myself what is the purpose of the 9-pin connector?

The only valid reason I see is Onan likely supplied the wire up to the connector with the engine. On the assembly line Wheel Horse could plug their connector to the engine and done.

If I had one that connector would be history. Splice in a jumper wire with butt connectors, solder and shrink sleeves. Stagger the butt connectors so none are next to another to keep the bundle size to a minimum and no more problems.

If the engine must come out the end of each wire has a removeable connector at the engine end.

Garry

I sot of did this very thing. I used 2 4 pin trailer connectors. I extended the wiring from the dash side of the harness and move the connection point to the other side of the tractor away from the battery acid and muffler heat.

RJ Hamner
13 minutes ago, squonk said:

I sot of did this very thing. I used 2 4 pin trailer connectors. I extended the wiring from the dash side of the harness and move the connection point to the other side of the tractor away from the battery acid and muffler heat.

That seems like a heck of an idea. 

The trailer connectors would (in my mind) offer better weatherproofing and still offer the ability to isolate the engine wiring if you needed to replace the engine.

SteveR

I mounted a 12 point compression terminal block and was able to eliminate the 9 point connector that had failed. Wires were long enough and no problems there since. 

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, SteveR said:

I mounted a 12 point compression terminal block and was able to eliminate the 9 point connector that had failed. Wires were long enough and no problems there since. 

Would you mind posting pics if you could ?

RJ Hamner
25 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Would you mind posting pics if you could ?

:text-yeahthat: