rick

314-8 + 48" SD deck = which trans gear?

rick

While my 416H is deadlined for maintenance, I have the deck mounted to the 314-8.  You fellows with a similar setup tell me about  your choice of gears used to cut the lawn, please.  My lawn is only refined native grasses, it has never been professionally landscaped.  I have found 1st gear hi range to be best for my conditions, 2nd gear hi range is a little too fast as it doesn't cut as evenly and the deck bounces more.  With sharp blades there is plenty of power, and fuel consumption is less than the 416H.  That Onan is a thirsty beast!   I think overall I am using a slightly slower ground speed with the 416H because of the hydro.  

I am just curious what gear you stick shift guys are using for grass cutting.

Thanks, Rick

peter lena

rick , I think you answered your own question , with 1 st gear / hi range for YOUR Lawn , I personally mow at 2nd gear / hi range , regularly cutting it at the highest height , how often do you check the underside for grass build up? just a detail along with sharp blades that make for easier cutting. we all have our own combo , that gives us the cut we want, my horse is a 312-8. pete

• Like 2

rick

pete, you are correct, 1st gear hi is the right one for my property,  I was more curious about what other folks were using on "rough" lawns.  If I miss a week, 3 lo is helpful when the blades are dull.  I fixed the dull blades problem last month when I bought a blade sharpener setup, no more angle grinder and round stock in the vise to sharpen and balance the mower blades.  Properly balanced blades make a big difference in smooth running, even in a big WH machine with a 48" deck, and a DR All Terrain mower.  

Thanks, Rick

• Like 1

Stepney

Second/high and just over 3/4 throttle on my 12hp Raider pulls a 48" nice and cuts well. Never really had a manual in a newer model. 

• Like 1

peter lena

rick , I  also regularly use a fine cut flat file on blades , just enough to restore the edge , i have no rocks , keep it simple , pete

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pollack Pete

On all my manual tranny Horses.I too use 1st gear,high range,full throttle.This works best for me.

• Like 2

tom2p

my place is fairly rough - 'farm grass' - around 3 acres ; one bottom part is a slope - the remainder is mostly flat 

with 312-8 with 42" deck I cut using 2nd gear (high range) primarily 

I use first gear around obstacles and edges - but 2nd gear for just about everything else 

I find 2nd gear a tad too slow - and 3rd gear a tad too high ;  a ratio between the two would be ideal for me 

with my 416-H with 48" deck (or 42" deck) I often go full / top speed when on level and downgrade - slightly slower when going up 

takes less time to cut my grass with the 416-H - around 30 minutes less (?) but time saving can be more when grass is high 

I use approx same amount of fuel with both to cut entire yard - 416-H uses more fuel but I can cut faster and with a bigger deck 

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1

rick

I am used to cutting with the 416H, so I am used to running full throttle for cooling.  I'll try 2 Hi next time at a slower throttle speed, but don't want to overheat the engine, either.

I'm really not in a hurry to get the grass cut, more seat time and the simple joy just to be riding along looking at nature (nothing else to be seen on my property).  I like cutting at ordinary walking speed because it gives a nicer look to he lawn, so I got a bigger mower, the 48' deck.

Pete, I got so tired of sharpening blades clamped to a bench and trying to balance them half-butted  on a makeshift balancer I just bought a new set of blades every year.  I have three sets of blades now for the 48" so I can keep two sets sharpened and the set on the deck.  That was when I was working and collecting Social Security.  The stimulus check helped with my blade sharpener.  I don't have rocks to hit, but a lot of little twigs and sticks get processed!  I clean the deck when I get a buildup or when I do  a blade change.

Thanks for the comments, don't stop now, LOL.

Thanks, Rick

• Like 1

tom2p

in 20 years rarely if ever used full throttle on my 416-H - I'm probably somewhere around 1/2 to 3/4 throttle 

on the 312-8 I will use full throttle on occasion - but not often

I don't sharpen blades as much as I should - maybe once or twice a year ;  I use a dremel or file to get the cutting edge sharp (or almost sharp)  ;  I don't remove much material - if the blade looks bad enough to require a lot of material to be removed I will replace the blade 

can't recall the last time I balanced blades - maybe once or twice  back in the 80's ... ? ... 

lynnmor

Throttle setting sets the blade speed, the faster the better.  I always run full throttle when mowing.

rick

I feel the same way, Lynnmor.  A nice cut is related to blade sharpness and speed, plus the proper ground speed.  I have found walking speed is best, if you need to cut faster get a wider mower!  There is nothing pushing me to zip through lawn mowing any more, but that only applies to me. 

tom2p
8 hours ago, rick said:

I feel the same way, Lynnmor.  A nice cut is related to blade sharpness and speed, plus the proper ground speed.  I have found walking speed is best, if you need to cut faster get a wider mower!  There is nothing pushing me to zip through lawn mowing any more, but that only applies to me. 

I cut around 3 acres 

at one time I coached youth baseball, football, and basketball - plus my kids were in other activities 

if/when weather was good spring thru late summer - we were on a baseball field most days 

football was 6 days per week entire month of August - 4 days per week after that 

was fortunate just to get a day to cut the grass - let alone a decent day with favorable weather 

time was critical as I often had short window - often finished cutting in the dark 

rick

I have had too many claims on my waking hours before, but not anymore tom2p.  I didn't mean to criticize anyone with my statement.  When I retired I decided I was going to what I wanted, when I wanted.  Selfish of me, I know. 

Jerzguy2
On 10/16/2020 at 1:29 PM, rick said:

pete, you are correct, 1st gear hi is the right one for my property,  I was more curious about what other folks were using on "rough" lawns.  If I miss a week, 3 lo is helpful when the blades are dull.  I fixed the dull blades problem last month when I bought a blade sharpener setup, no more angle grinder and round stock in the vise to sharpen and balance the mower blades.  Properly balanced blades make a big difference in smooth running, even in a big WH machine with a 48" deck, and a DR All Terrain mower.  

Thanks, Rick

What type of blade sharpener setup?  i'm always looking for something I don't really need, but have to have. Jack

rick

Jerzguy2, I blew my stimulus check on a Magna-Matic "Lot 3" setup.  It is on sale now, which is what happens every time I buy a big ticket item.  Included in the package is the grinder, a stand and the balancer.  I ordered a spare grinding wheel and the wheel package for the stand.  Very well designed equipment.  The sharpener has a provision for grinding valve stems or punches, etc. squarely and has a place to square the rails on a chainsaw bar.  I had some questions prior ordering so I sent them an email and got a phone call from Gerd.  We had a good conversation, and after sitting on the wall a while I placed my order.  I am very pleased!  Check them out on the website.

WHX??
49 minutes ago, rick said:

When I retired I decided I was going to what I wanted, when I wanted.  Selfish of me, I know.

No not at all when a guy spends most of his life on someone else's (work) clock It's time for you and family! 

Let us know how blade sharpener works out.  I wouldn't buy one unless I was pro lawn care or the lotto or one was given to me! 

Still they are cool! 

https://www.magna-matic-direct.com/blade-sharpeners/

Edited by WHX24

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, WHX24 said:

No not at all when a guy spends most of his life on someone else's (work) clock It's time for you and family! 

Let us know how blade sharpener works out.  I wouldn't buy one unless I was pro lawn care or the lotto or one was given to me! 

Still they are cool! 

Why not something a bit more affordable? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BKIIU4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_71WJFbRH4P6B3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1... And still brand name.

tom2p
3 hours ago, rick said:

I have had too many claims on my waking hours before, but not anymore tom2p.  I didn't mean to criticize anyone with my statement.  When I retired I decided I was going to what I wanted, when I wanted.  Selfish of me, I know. 

sounds good - hope to be there soon !

cutting grass for extended periods can be therapeutic - but for me my sweet spot is around the 2 hour mark ... can get a tad 'antsy' during that last hour or 1/2 hour 

for a short period I cut 1/3 of our property every 2-3 weeks or so instead of every week - but it did not look good (not a surprise)

the 416 plowed through the high grass effortlessly - but then heavy cut grass clippings did not look so good ... and then I was also forced to clear the air intake too often during subsequent cuts 

Horse Newbie
On 10/18/2020 at 9:41 AM, lynnmor said:

Throttle setting sets the blade speed, the faster the better.  I always run full throttle when mowing.

I was told to operate tractors with a hydro at full throttle... Not so much as speed or cut, but because the hydro pump works best at full throttle at any speed and any load...just what I was told...and I may have read it somewhere in a manual

• Like 2

tom2p
37 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

I was told to operate tractors with a hydro at full throttle... Not so much as speed or cut, but because the hydro pump works best at full throttle at any speed and any load...just what I was told...and I may have read it somewhere in a manual

been a while since I looked at an operators manual - but I do recall something to that effect 

might have stated do no run at low rpm for extended period ... something like that 

• Like 1

rick
1 hour ago, tom2p said:

sounds good - hope to be there soon !

cutting grass for extended periods can be therapeutic - but for me my sweet spot is around the 2 hour mark ... can get a tad 'antsy' during that last hour or 1/2 hour 

for a short period I cut 1/3 of our property every 2-3 weeks or so instead of every week - but it did not look good (not a surprise)

the 416 plowed through the high grass effortlessly - but then heavy cut grass clippings did not look so good ... and then I was also forced to clear the air intake too often during subsequent cuts 

I would say  one drawback  to an Onan is the cooling intake picking up chaff, especially when the last cutting before was a week late!  I don't have a deflector on the deck outlet so it is fun to watch the clippings spreading 48" out!

tom2p
4 minutes ago, rick said:

I would say  one drawback  to an Onan is the cooling intake picking up chaff, especially when the last cutting before was a week late!  I don't have a deflector on the deck outlet so it is fun to watch the clippings spreading 48" out!

never ending battle 

and sometimes when you step off the tractor - you are often a mess ... from bottom to top ... 

when I cut with the 312 I don't feel like I've been in a dust storm 

at one point I had a small flat snow brush attached to side of my 416 with Velcro to remove debris - but I prefer to use my hand to remove the accumulated grass clippings and leaves 

I've wondered if ribbed front tires would be of benefit - maybe less likely to retain leaves that then get sucked up into the air intake ... ? ... 

slower ground speed might help - but I typically go faster 

rick
2 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Why not something a bit more affordable? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BKIIU4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_71WJFbRH4P6B3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1... And still brand name.

Thanks for the referral, Hillbilly.  The setup I bought fits my needs, and wants since I may try to do some customer work sharpening blades.  I have had a business license and tax number for years but stopped taking work in when my back and hip got bad. 

rick
12 minutes ago, tom2p said:

never ending battle 

and sometimes when you step off the tractor - you are often a mess ... from bottom to top ... 

when I cut with the 312 I don't feel like I've been in a dust storm 

at one point I had a small flat snow brush attached to side of my 416 with Velcro to remove debris - but I prefer to use my hand to remove the accumulated grass clippings and leaves 

I've wondered if ribbed front tires would be of benefit - maybe less likely to retain leaves that then get sucked up into the air intake ... ? ... 

slower ground speed might help - but I typically go faster 

I don't go much faster with the 416H than the 314-8 in first high range, and still have to stop often to clean the grill, worse with a cross wind from the right!  The Onan just has a lot of suction.  I find some of the chaff is blown forward because the front lower edge of the deck is raised.

rick
4 hours ago, WHX24 said:

No not at all when a guy spends most of his life on someone else's (work)  clock It's time for you and family! 

Still they are cool! 

It works nicely, even on the thick 26" blade from my DR all terrain mower.  One  advantage is that as long as the grinding stone is adjusted properly and you hold the blade flat on the work table it will always grind a 30° angle.  The work table has an angled portion that you line up the blade with as you move it along the stone.  I've never been real good at holding angles freehand. 

• Thanks 1