echris

Here's the thing about small engine carbs.

echris

It's really simple.

If you suspect a carb problem,

Pull the carb!

Do a full tear down and clean out. EVERY TIME.

Sure you can squirt some bug juice into the throat and hope for the best. And maybe 1 out of 10 times you'll succeed.

The thing is, these carbs have maybe 10 internal parts, at best.

Pull the carb, do a full clean out.

EVERY TIME.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

WHX??

I hear ya Chris.... picked a 1077 up once and the seller said he cleaned the carb. Turns out his "carb cleaning" consisted of pulling out the main jet needle and blowing air down thru it! Alrighty then :lol:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

ZXT
6 minutes ago, echris said:

It's really simple.

If you suspect a carb problem,

Pull the carb!

Do a full tear down and clean out. EVERY TIME.

Sure you can squirt some bug juice into the throat and hope for the best. And maybe 1 out of 10 times you'll succeed.

The thing is, these carbs have maybe 10 internal parts, at best.

Pull the carb, do a full clean out.

EVERY TIME.

I like to utilize my ultrasonic cleaner for tiny carbs. Sure, I might be able to spray most of it out, but the vibration of the cleaner will break particles loose and work them out of passages that torch tip cleaners couldn't reach or carb cleaner bypassed. 

Much better to pull it off the machine and do it right! 

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

echris
4 minutes ago, ZXT said:

I like to utilize my ultrasonic cleaner for tiny carbs. Sure, I might be able to spray most of it out, but the vibration of the cleaner will break particles loose and work them out of passages that torch tip cleaners couldn't reach or carb cleaner bypassed. 

Much better to pull it off the machine and do it right! 

I didn't know what an ultrasonic cleaner was until I got one. LOL

Now, "Hmm, it's dirty, let's give it a whirl in the ultrasonic."

The best part is when you drop a part into the bath and immediately see clouds streaming up from the dirty part.

Somebody start a new thread..."If you don't have an ultrasonic cleaner...." or something.

They're freakin' magic.

Like a drill press, every shop should have one.

• Excellent 1

WHX??

Believe it or not Dan that was AL B.! 

ZXT
3 minutes ago, echris said:

The best part is when you drop a part into the bath and immediately see clouds streaming up from the dirty part.

There's something extremely satisfying about watching that. 

I never though I really needed one until I bought it. Saw it on sale at HF and figured what the heck. I wish it was large enough that I could fit a 4 barrel carb in it, but that is my only complaint. It works excellent with nothing more than simple green in it. Currently, I have "Evaporust" in mine (if you don't know what that is, look it up. It's worth its weight in gold). I like to soak rusty stuff in it for a day or so and then turn it on and let it clean all the rust off. Comes out looking new. 

• Like 1

echris

I only have a baby one, 6" cubed. But look around the filthy work area and see the various jars, tweezers, strainer etc.

I smoke a tobacco pipe. Perfect example of how to use an ultrasonic.
They get nasty over time. In the pic below, you will see a jar with a lid labeled IPA 91% with nasty black liquid in it.
Occasionally I put my pipe parts in the jar, close the lid and stick it in the ultrasonic.
That 91% IPA has been in use for probably 2 years now.
Sometimes, solvents don't stop working because they're dirty. Sometimes, they keep working.

And you can often re-use the solution.

(Unless it's acetone. Yeah, I loves me some acetone, but every time I grab the can, yep, it's already evaporated.)

IMG_20201015_210839.jpg.0cbe30e76ebe8b7b29cf45c06f87e498.jpg

Edited by echris
  • Like 2

oliver2-44
1 hour ago, ZXT said:

. Currently, I have "Evaporust" in mine (if you don't know what that is, look it up. It's worth its weight in gold). I like to soak rusty stuff in it for a day or so and then turn it on and let it clean all the rust off. Comes out looking new. 

Evaporust is expensive, but its great for derusting small and hard to clean parts. (saves fingers from the wire brush wheel)   A while back I derusted an older kitchen utensil for my wife.  Now I get asked to clean all kinds of things.  

I use my wife's small jewelry ultrasonic cleaner for carb parts.  She hasn't caught on to me yet or it would be :angry-tappingfoot:  I sure need to get a larger one. 

• Haha 4

ZXT
Just now, oliver2-44 said:

Evaporust is expensive, but its great for derusting small and hard to clean parts. (saves fingers from the wire brush wheel)   A while back I derusted an older kitchen utensil for my wife.  Now I get asked to clean all kinds of things.  

I use my wife's small jewelry ultrasonic cleaner for carb parts.  She hasn't caught on to me yet or it would be :angry-tappingfoot:  I sure need to get a larger one. 

Yep it is pretty pricey - around $30 a gallon last I checked. But like @echris I re use it time and time again. It doesn't really seem to care and the bottle even says you can re use it. Strain it once in a while and its good to go!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

echris

"The solution, is in the dilution"

Don't fill your ultrasonic with "EXORUST!" unless you NEED a big bucket of EXORUST. Or whatever solvent.

Keep several smaller containers, glass works the best in my experience, so when you need to clean some smaller pieces, pop them in a jar with the appropriate chemical, screw down the lid and pop it in the ultrasonic.

Sometimes it seems like people don't realize that as long as it's in the bucket of fizzy water, it's getting the same treatment.

Edited by echris
  • Like 1

71_Bronco

Be careful with the solutions you use.

Some of the ultra-sonic cleaners have heaters on them to make them work more effectively. Mix heat with chemicals that have low flash point, and you could have a problem.

I just checked Evapo Rust, looks like you shouldn't have an issue based on the SDS sheet.

https://www.orisonmarketing.com/SDS PDF/SDS Evaporust.pdf

• Like 3

Pullstart
10 hours ago, WHX24 said:

I hear ya Chris.... picked a 1077 up once and the seller said he cleaned the carb. Turns out his "carb cleaning" consisted of pulling out the main jet needle and blowing air down thru it! Alrighty then :lol:

Works most times on a trail ride!  I wouldn’t say I cleaned the carb, but we figured out the problem at least!  Good news is there was plenty of skeeter power to carry us all home!

• Haha 2

WHX??

The Pullstart method of carb cleaning! Come to find out the fuel pump needed love. I cleaned the carb anyway after his lips were on it... :laughing-rolling:

Note the can of carb cleaner on the seat! 

20200711_195756.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

AMC RULES

:hand:  Was he sucking...

or blowing it there?

:dunno:  Pict is confusing. 

Edited by AMC RULES

WHX??
37 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:hand:  Was he sucking...

or blowing it there?

:dunno:  Pict is confusing. 

Bit of both we suspect.... I was too busy laughing and snapping pics to notice.... and yah the skeeters! :lol:

• Haha 1