Sign in to follow this  
64s

Another What Year RJ

64s

I have an RJ that doesn't have the serial tag or original engine so I know iding is difficult, but maybe others have some of the 'clues' I might have.

1- Solid seat pan

2- Raised stamped numbers/letters on trans by shifter

3- Appears to have glue residue -oval shaped- on top of trans (right rear)

4- Spirial bound lift cable tube

Everything else appears to be identical to either a 58 or 59. Does anyone have a strong feeling as to a year? Thanks!!

George

:omg:

64s

Anyone???? :drool:

Was there suttle changes made between the 58 and 59? Or are they 100% identical twins? :omg:

Jim_M

I don't know of any difference between a 58 and a 59. Could you post a picture or two of your tractor?

HorseFixer

Well yeah this is no doubt a tuffy without engine and so forth. Since it has the stamping on the tranny that means that it is a later in the year 58 so I have been told. A lift sector (multiple sector) they say is a 59. Also a 59 most likley has a toolbox and fenders. An engine model and spec # sure would have helped :drool: have any pictures you could post? :omg:

64s

Unfortunately I can't get to it to take pictures, but does anyone have an RJ with a solid seat, and if so, what year? Was a solid seat factory built? All of the Wheel Horse info I have shows perferated seats thru 61. Also, it doesn't have a toolbox or fenders or the lift selector, but I've been told that all were options. Overall the tractor appears to be original (except for the engine) - or pieces were changed a long time ago.

TT

The "legend" goes that the RJ-58/59, 400, & 401 models did not have the toolbox and fenders as standard equipment and were an option (FA-58 for 1958 models) that cost approximately $9.95.

The 550 had the battery in the toolbox so it was required on that model and I have yet to see a 551 without the toolbox/fender assembly either.

The multi-position lift lever quadrant was actually required for the "new" RMR-32 mower in 1960 and MIGHT have been installed on some of the last RJ-59's to be sold if they were fitted with the new-style mower. :omg: It's my understanding that it's pretty much a "bolt-on" retrofit on the '58/'59 tractors.

There is also talk that some 1959 models that were equipped with a solid pan seat. (possibly a supplier conflict or other issue?)

No one really knows what the dealers did to these tractors as the consumers saw the advancements and upgrades in the newer models and demanded/requested their tractors to be equipped with "modern" accessories or convenience items. (Look at how many 1968 500 Special tractors are out there with electric start, etc.)