Charbs152

Looking at a C-175 hydro - What is parts availability like for these?

pfrederi

I would ask the guy and look up the mod3l and type number in parts tree or similar and see what is inside the engine.  I do not know anything about B&S twins.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

If it's got an electric PTO it's okay either way

Try to verify by poking around a little bit if the person used decent quality but connectors with heat shrink tubing.

If they are just exposed butt connectors with no heat shrink then it's only going to be a matter of time before you're back in there...

I agree that it looks pretty good for what it is. Seems to be in very good overall condition.

If it runs and drives and everything seems like it's in good working order I think you would do okay at that price

• Like 1

Charbs152

Here’s some more pics 

looks like it’s got the Eaton?

CC0A752C-5985-45AD-8AEC-A2E81903E752.jpeg

13684CC7-9A40-423F-87A5-79E18A47B4C9.jpeg

A3DD6DA5-CA55-4C66-A0F1-58FCBB7400D6.jpeg

AAB50FD7-3A67-4BCF-9380-A6BC83586544.jpeg

Charbs152
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

If it's got an electric PTO it's okay either way

Try to verify by poking around a little bit if the person used decent quality but connectors with heat shrink tubing.

If they are just exposed butt connectors with no heat shrink then it's only going to be a matter of time before you're back in there...

I agree that it looks pretty good for what it is. Seems to be in very good overall condition.

If it runs and drives and everything seems like it's in good working order I think you would do okay at that price

Doesn’t the c175 have the same manual pto as a c160?

pfrederi

Manual PTOs all the same.  I looked at a couple B&S twins they had ball bearings. Only way to be sure is to look up the model and Type # on the engine

• Like 2

JohnD

I just picked up a C-175 in MI with a plow and mower for $500.  It runs strong and is in good shape.  I've been tinkering with fixing a few minor things.  That one has better tire tread than mine. 

I'm surprised the snowthrower isn't mounted off the rear axle like a plow.  Is that standard? 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Appears to be in decent overall condition. 

Has a manual PTO. 

DEFINITELY need to find a spec number for the engine and be SURE it has a side bearing to take the thrust of the PTO. 

Can't see the wiring job so verify good end connection quality. 

• Like 1

WHX??
14 minutes ago, JohnD said:

I'm surprised the snowthrower isn't mounted off the rear axle like a plow.  Is that standard? 

Yep all blowers just mount to the front. attach. 

JohnD
2 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Yep all blowers just mount to the front. attach. 

Interesting.  I guess you get a lot less pushing force on a blower than a plow.  I always like the rear mount.  Put the force right to the transaxle to the wheels; simple! 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, JohnD said:

guess you get a lot less pushing force on a blower than a plow

Far far less. 

You're only pushing the weight of the machine. 

Plow is pushing quite a load of snow or dirt at times. 

• Like 2

Charbs152
55 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Manual PTOs all the same.  I looked at a couple B&S twins they had ball bearings. Only way to be sure is to look up the model and Type # on the engine

I’ll have to do that because the Briggs is not factory 

• Like 1

Charbs152
37 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Appears to be in decent overall condition. 

Has a manual PTO. 

DEFINITELY need to find a spec number for the engine and be SURE it has a side bearing to take the thrust of the PTO. 

Can't see the wiring job so verify good end connection quality. 

I’ll verify the wiring Saturday and pull the engine number. I’m going to take the car to go look instead of the truck and trailer..that way I’m less tempted to buy it right away lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
Just now, Charbs152 said:

I’ll verify the wiring Saturday and pull the engine number. I’m going to take the car to go look instead of the truck and trailer..that way I’m less tempted to buy it right away lol

Feel free to post pics and ask questions while you're there. We'll answer as soon as we can. Especially because we like pics and spending someone else's money. 

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Charbs152
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Feel free to post pics and ask questions while you're there. We'll answer as soon as we can. Especially because we like pics and spending someone else's money. 

:lol:

Awesome will do. Be on standby Saturday morning!! Eastern time!! Hahaha

• Excellent 1

Lee1977

Get the engine model number and check the parts list. If it has a ball bearing on the PTO side that all you need. My 18 HP Briggs Vanguard only has ball bearing on the PTO side.

SAM-1223.jpg

• Like 2

WHX??

Nice looking rig ther Lee. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Charbs152
19 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

Get the engine model number and check the parts list. If it has a ball bearing on the PTO side that all you need. My 18 HP Briggs Vanguard only has ball bearing on the PTO side.

SAM-1223.jpg

Sounds good.  It’s the I/c series if that helps 

oliver2-44
3 hours ago, Charbs152 said:

Here’s some more pics 

looks like it’s got the Eaton?

CC0A752C-5985-45AD-8AEC-A2E81903E752.jpeg

Check the deck over for rust under those top guards and for cracks where the rear wheels mount

13684CC7-9A40-423F-87A5-79E18A47B4C9.jpeg

check the rear axles for seal leaks. it sure looks oilier/dirtier on that right side (bargaining point)

AAB50FD7-3A67-4BCF-9380-A6BC83586544.jpeg

Those two little mufflers scream...I'm begging for dual chrome stacks

• Like 1

Charbs152
1 hour ago, Charbs152 said:

Sounds good.  It’s the I/c series if that helps 

Where on the parts list is that? Can you show me yours?

pfrederi

Once you know the model and type # you can go to a place like parts tree and look it up they have exploded parts diagrams yo will be able ti see if there are ball bearings...

https://www.partstree.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_ffCrJO57AIVAYvICh0FHgCHEAAYASAAEgK3VfD_BwE

• Like 3

bds1984

I am sure they exist, but I haven't seen a horizontal crank 18HP Briggs engine without ball bearings on the crank.  Most of the model numbers I see are 422437 or 422447 and I will bet a dollar yours is a 422437 model.  The fifth character tells us the bearing type; a 3 is splash lube ball bearing, 4 is pressure lube ball bearing.  I always look for the 3 and 4 on Briggs engines while visiting the bone yard.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Good info there bds..... I had inherited a couple of big box Murrays that had Briggs 18HP verticals that were labeled as I/C and were good motors. Lots of power fer sure keep the mice out. Often thought too much for the fragile drivelines they were tied to. 

Sorry if we are running off with your thread here Charbs but get us on power mechanics here .....:)

• Like 2

bds1984

The I/C engines are great motors, I've had a few.  Unfortunately many of the Briggs twins were put in lower end mowers that had owners who never maintained them which gave the engines a bad reputation.  The 18s put in the Murrays like you mention were the equivalent of a 429 Ford put in front of a C3 from a Pinto.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

WHX??
6 minutes ago, bds1984 said:

had owners who never maintained them which gave the engines a bad reputation. 

So very true .... I don't remember if they were ever pressure fed oil wise, I don't think so, but yeah like any other motor  at least check the oil. 

• Like 1

Charbs152

So I looked at the machine. It’s solid except the mower deck.

brand new battery 

engine runs great. Model 421437 
https://www.briggsandstratton.com/content/dam/briggsandstratton/na/en_us/Files/Numerical_Designation_System.pdf

the only issue is the deck (circled in pic) needs that bar either repaired or replaced.  The little tab on the one side is broke and missing, needs a new one fabbed up and welded or needs the bar replaced....

also it’s missing the mule drive for the mower, he’s gonna talk to the original owner and try to find it. It’s likely there but he forgot it.

deck also needs blades

so can you fine folks help me track down the circled deck part, mower blades and a mule drive?

He’s going to try to get the deck bar fabbed and welded and is going to look for the mule drive. I told him if he can do that, I’d take it all for $700 and he agreed. 

F9BDAAFA-FDD0-4257-A9CF-AD0DF5CCD501.jpeg

40E0EE7D-C02F-4906-8DDB-3FDE4CCCB158.jpeg

52565318-D014-4BB9-B891-43B633BF49E6.jpeg

Edited by Charbs152
  • Like 2