Charbs152

Looking at a C-175 hydro - What is parts availability like for these?

Charbs152

Like the title states - I am looking into buying a C-175 automatic/hydro with briggs I/C 18hp twin and looks to be in good shape.

I've always had a liking for these tractors as my grandfather has had a C-160 hydro ever since i can remember.

What is parts availability on these tractors like?

I have had a Bolens 1669L the past 5 years that i am getting rid of because of reliability and parts being hard to find and expensive....

Whats it like in the Wheel Horse world?

Thank You

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Parts availability for a Wheelhorse is excellent if you know who to ask.

Several of us have our own salvage yards of sorts.

There's a very good following of these tractors so there are quite a few flea Bay sellers as well.

I can't speak too much for reliability because the herd at my place is of an older vintage but others will be along to help you out with that. 

• Like 1

Charbs152
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Parts availability for a Wheelhorse is excellent if you know who to ask.

Several of us have our own salvage yards of sorts.

There's a very good following of these tractors so there are quite a few flea Bay sellers as well.

I can't speak too much for reliability because the herd at my place is of an older vintage but others will be along to help you out with that. 

What are good parts sources? Id like to add them to my archive.

Thank You

ebinmaine

A to Z Tractor in Pennsylvania. Guy named Lincoln. Very busy and great guy. 

Other than that. Ask here in the classified ads and we'll point you the right direction whenever possible. 

• Like 2

midpack

The Briggs is a replacement engine I believe, they came originally with a Series I or Series II KT17.

Some have Sundstrand Hydros', some had Eaton, you can tell the difference easily, the Eaton filter points to the rear, Sundstrand to the right side of the machine

The Eaton rear has a better reputation, I have one with a Sundstrand and I think it's starting to slow down in reverse (sign of failing?)

pfrederi
7 minutes ago, midpack said:

The Briggs is a replacement engine I believe, they came originally with a Series I or Series II KT17.

Some have Sundstrand Hydros', some had Eaton, you can tell the difference easily, the Eaton filter points to the rear, Sundstrand to the right side of the machine

The Eaton rear has a better reputation, I have one with a Sundstrand and I think it's starting to slow down in reverse (sign of failing?)

If only reverse acceleration valve springs are suspect.

Charbs152
12 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

A to Z Tractor in Pennsylvania. Guy named Lincoln. Very busy and great guy. 

Other than that. Ask here in the classified ads and we'll point you the right direction whenever possible. 

thank you, sir

• Thanks 1

Charbs152
Just now, pfrederi said:

If only reverse acceleration valve springs are suspect.

i know the briggs is a replacement...  i heard the KT17 are awful and have problems when run on hills..  i think the briggs i/c would be better than the kt 17... i could be wrong though

I will check the year when i go look at it.

Whats a good price to pay?

Guy is asking $1200 for tractor, mower and snow blower

According to

http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/000/4/5/459-wheel-horse-c-175-transmission.html

The Eaton hydrostatic was used through the production run of the C-175. A Sundstrand 90 hydrostatic was also used during the 1980 production year, identified by tractor model code 01-17KS02.

SylvanLakeWH

Achto

:WRS:

It may surprise you as to how many parts are still available from Toro for the Wheel Horse tractors.

The Briggs twin engine would be an up grade from a series 1 K17 in my book.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

Charbs152
53 minutes ago, Achto said:

The Briggs twin engine would be an up grade from a series 1 K17 in my book.

Thats my thoughts as well.  How do the I/C Twins rate for reliability and longevity?

Edited by Charbs152

WHX??

5 minutes ago, Charbs152 said:

I/C Twins rate for reliability and longevity

Good as any  it was taken care of it 

• Like 1

Charbs152
1 minute ago, WHX24 said:

Good as any  it was taken care of it 

thank you.  would $850 be a good price for the machine with a mower and snow blower?

• Like 1

WHX??

Not the worst if everything is in good working order. Check the spindles in the deck and bearings/auger in the blower.

Pics are welcome here and would tell us if anything else is out of order. The fellas here know their horses. 

Herder

:WRS:  Good luck, negotiate to a price of your liking, $850 seems a bit high for me, but condition plays a huge part.  If you buy it we will require some pics.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Guys and gals... does the I/C Briggs have thrust bearings?  If not you’ll want to be sure it has an electric pto clutch.  :text-welcomeconfetti:

Charbs152
30 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Not the worst if everything is in good working order. Check the spindles in the deck and bearings/auger in the blower.

Pics are welcome here and would tell us if anything else is out of order. The fellas here know their horses. 

pics attached.  They are horrible lol.  the guy is going to get me some better ones when he is out of work.  Its about an hour drive away from me.

IMG_7515.jpg

IMG_7516.jpg

IMG_7517.jpg

IMG_7511.JPG

• Like 1

Charbs152
36 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Guys and gals... does the I/C Briggs have thrust bearings?  If not you’ll want to be sure it has an electric pto clutch.  :text-welcomeconfetti:

can you explain more?

pfrederi

WH manual PTOs put a lot of pressure inward on the end of the crankshaft.  K and Magum series singles had ball bearings supporting the crankshaft that could handle the end loading.  KT 17s as a rule did not that had sleeve bearing with just a small flange to handle normal endloading.  it was not adequate for the manual PTO so WH spec engines included a special needle thrust bearing on the PTO end of the crank to handle the end loading. 

If the Briggs twin has ball bearings on the crank you are OK.  Would have to look up the model and type number to see if that was the case or if there was some other internal thrust bearing.  

Last alternative is WH put an external bearing on some models that originally used B&S engines that did not have ball bearings.

Edited by pfrederi

Pollack Pete

That tractor doesn't look bad at all.Looks to have been taken care of.Probably lived indoors.Nice seat.Original plastic fender pan.Looks good to me. BTW,what Wheel Horse came from the factory with a Briggs Twin?

Edited by Pollack Pete

Charbs152
3 minutes ago, Pollack Pete said:

That tractor doesn't look bad at all.Looks to have been taken care of.Probably lived indoors.Nice seat.Original plastic fender pan.Looks good to me.

guy said it sat in the garage across the street for the last 15 years because whoever installed that engine, didn't wire it properly and couldn't get it to run,,,,

it came with a Kt17 originally....  the C-161 Twin came with a briggs though

Edited by Charbs152

pfrederi

Most all briggs are Mag systems.  if they tried to hook it up to the existing KT-17 wiring (battery  points system) they probably fried the magneto....

Definitely reason to bargain down on $$$

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

Charbs152
6 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Most all briggs are Mag systems.  if they tried to hook it up to the existing KT-17 wiring (battery  points system) they probably fried the magneto....

Definitely reason to bargain down on $$$

Interesting... even if it’s all working proper?

pfrederi
3 minutes ago, Charbs152 said:

Interesting... even if it’s all working proper?

Sorry I thought you meant it hadn't worked in years...  If it is running now not to worry about wiring.  Would definitely want to know about thrust bearing.

• Like 1

Charbs152
2 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Sorry I thought you meant it hadn't worked in years...  If it is running now not to worry about wiring.  Would definitely want to know about thrust bearing.

It hadn’t run in 15 years the guy selling it took it on as a project and got it working 

how can I check for a thrust bearing when I go to look at it ?

Edited by Charbs152