71_Bronco

Head Sanding / Flattening

71_Bronco

So I've seen many videos / articles about "flattening" a Kohler head before installing a new head gasket.

I assume this process should be done no matter what the engine brand is, correct?

I'm working on a S7D Wisconsin (single cylinder, 7HP), and it will be getting a new head gasket (preventative, not due to a blown gasket). This engine has a similar cast-iron block and aluminum head like the Kohlers do.

I was planning on doing it anyways, figured it couldn't hurt.

Thoughts?

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine

If nothing else I would take some finer grade paper like 400 or so and at least make a few passes with the head on the paper to see if you have any nasty highs or lows. 

• Like 2

oliver2-44

Yep, flatten every brand

71_Bronco
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

If nothing else I would take some finer grade paper like 400 or so and at least make a few passes with the head on the paper to see if you have any nasty highs or lows. 

That sounds like a good idea. I may hit it with sharpie first, and do a test cut with something fine. If no high / low spots, I wont have to do a major resurface

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, 71_Bronco said:

That sounds like a good idea. I may hit it with sharpie first, and do a test cut with something fine. If no high / low spots, I wont have to do a major resurface

Excellent idea

pacer

Yeah, its too simple a thing not to take the few mins to give it a check. As mentioned, use wet/dry sandpaper 4-500 grit or more and find the flattest place you can - plate glass is best (if you dont have a granite plate$$;))  Wet the paper with some type of oil - kerosine, thinner, WD40, etc and rub her around a bit.........

bottjernat1

I found this hope this helps 

• Like 1

lynnmor

I have a vertical bandsaw with a ground table that works well.  Keep in mind that not all glass is perfectly flat and some glass will bend a bit.  If you are doing two or more heads, lay the lapped surfaces together and check for daylight between them or use a feeler gauge, you might be surprised to see that your newly lapped heads are not as flat as you thought.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Check out this thread...

Looking at the video that Nate offered, I don't like that the guy mounted his glass on chip board.  A saw table would be a much better choice.  You need a solid, flat surface for the glass.  :occasion-xmas:

• Excellent 1

richmondred01

9472CF23-8835-4490-8E26-CDD424BC9F6A.jpeg

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

WHNJ701
On 10/14/2020 at 10:03 AM, 71_Bronco said:

Just use spray paint before you sand them it

• Like 2