Greentored

Wheel Horse Coleman lantern

WHX??

Way cool Green :handgestures-thumbupright:

One if by land two if by sea?!?!?!?:lol:

• Excellent 1

8ntruck

Neat.  My father in law had one of those red single mantel lanterns.  I think it had cylindrical glass instead of the bubble glass yours has.

Brings back memories of camping with my wife's family before we were married.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

rjg854

Seeing that single mantle later makes me wonder what I did with the one l had :confusion-scratchheadyellow:

• Like 2

squonk

What did you put on the buffing wheel?

Greentored
2 hours ago, squonk said:

What did you put on the buffing wheel?

3M rubbing compound, after going at it with some 1500 grit and water:handgestures-thumbupright:

Sparky

That looks awesome! 

• Thanks 1

Greentored
10 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Neat.  My father in law had one of those red single mantel lanterns.  I think it had cylindrical glass instead of the bubble glass yours has.

Brings back memories of camping with my wife's family before we were married.

Was hoping this might bring up some memories for folks, as that is quite a common reaction when the old Colemans are brought up.

Growing up in upstate NY, I remember a lot of bullhead fishing with my stepdad, holding lanterns while he ran the net when the smelt were running, and him leaving one lit at the cottage so I could fall asleep to the hiss. Kinda forgot about them til seeing one in an antique shop about 5-6 years ago. 

......then I found a website and a few social media groups of folks who collect, restore and use them, and they hold gatherings, swap meets, camping weekends, etc.... they even have a couple official clubs! Next thing ya know, I had close to 150 of them.....

Hmm, sounds kinda familiar, doesnt it?:lol:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

wh500special

With any luck, maybe somebody here can find a copy of the Paul Revere Wheel Horse ad and you can recreate the look.  

I probably have a copy, but the chances of me finding it are pretty negligible. 

steve

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

connortem

I wish I could open your photos. I would love to look at the old lanterns. We don't have many lanterns at home.

connortem
On 8/3/2021 at 6:20 PM, connortem said:

I wish I could open your photos. I would love to look at the old lanterns. We don't have many lanterns at home.

We have several lanterns in the driveway, there is a camping lantern in the garage in the house, and there seems to be one in the corridor too. But the old one I rarely met anywhere. It's excellent that you are doing the restoration of such things. Perhaps someday I will also buy some old lanterns. Such a lantern would look especially great in a home library. You know, something like Hogwarts lanterns. If suddenly you know where I can get such, I will be glad for your help. Thanks in advance!