JustinW.73

1962 Cub Cadet Original

JustinW.73

Although I am a die hard wheel horse guy, I have been wanting to get an original for quite awhile. Got it at a really good price and got it running have way decent after sitting for 30 years. 

3BB1FF7D-FA64-4D98-96BA-F0EB5FA357C6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

ebinmaine

IH Cubs are the first garden tractors I liked when I was a young kid. Grandfather had one.

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
12 minutes ago, JustinW.73 said:

Although I am a die hard wheel horse guy, I have been wanting to get an original for quite awhile. Got it at a really good price and got it running have way decent after sitting for 30 years. 

3BB1FF7D-FA64-4D98-96BA-F0EB5FA357C6.jpeg

I still have the 1 my father bought used in 1977. 1st pic is me the following year... Last basically how it is today... Good luck with yours.

IMAG5303.jpg

IMAG5499.jpg

IMAG4220.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Dakota8338

I-H was known for quality for many, many years.  Most of the older I-H products still are remarkable tractors & equipment.

It still looks good considering the years.

• Like 3

JustinW.73

I’ve been told this K161 is a small bore. Anyone know where to get rings? Want to hone and put new rings in it as the cylinder has no scores and breather spews smoke. 

PeacemakerJack

“Cub cadet specialties” has been m y go to resource for obsolete or hard to find Cub parts.  If Charlie doesn’t have them, he’ll know who does...

That’s a Nice looking Original.  Good luck with your refurbish on it.

I bought one about 8 years ago but ended up selling it when I found a package deal on a 125 Z front.  Maybe someday I’ll track another O down and purchase it. 🤔

• Like 2

953 nut
9 hours ago, JustinW.73 said:

I’ve been told this K161 is a small bore. Anyone know where to get rings? Want to hone and put new rings in it as the cylinder has no scores and breather spews smoke. 

Kohler rings and aftermarket rings are on :techie-ebay:all the time.  You may be wise to measure the cylinder before just honing and slapping in a set of rings.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Kohler rings and aftermarket rings are on :techie-ebay:all the time.  You may be wise to measure the cylinder before just honing and slapping in a set of rings.

Good post

@JustinW.73 that's a very good thread that Richard posted and it will give you an excellent idea of the actual literal shape of that cylinder other than the appearance.

JustinW.73
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Not for small bore K161 (K160). They are proving to be very hard to find. 

JustinW.73
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Good post

@JustinW.73 that's a very good thread that Richard posted and it will give you an excellent idea of the actual literal shape of that cylinder other than the appearance.

Yes I know how to use a bore gauge and measure the cylinder. 

• Excellent 1

RandyLittrell

Looks good, glad to have another cub owner here! I have two 1961's. One is in pieces and the other Dad and I restored about 15 years ago. Here is a pic that is a few years old but she is still in the same shape KIMG0291.jpg.b5ab76bc41cfec1f2d7c5284929a090b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1