bc.gold

Horse Power

bc.gold

New Engine Horsepower Rating Standards

The new SAE J1940 standard requires all engines produced after and including October 1, 2013 must be within 95% of the declared rated power and torque as opposed to the old standard of 85%. SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) has also stated that the engine manufacturer must disclose the rpm for rating and with the GROSS (SAEJ1995) or NET (SAEJ1349) horsepower.

Note: Engine produced before October 1, 2013 are labeled and rated by the old standard.

In most cases the engine displacement (cc) has not changed. Example: Model CH740 with 725cc, before it was rated as 27hp and will now be rated as 25hp under the SAE J1940 standard. The engine has not changed, only how it’s rated under the new SAE J1940 standard.

In the Kohler Engine specs you will also notice a SAE J1995 horsepower rating. This rating is based on approximately 10 engines off the assembly line and then tested and the horsepower rating is the average out of the 10.

Power (hp) and Torque (lbs ft) specifications for Kohler general purpose engines are rated pursuant to Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J1940 based on gross output testing performed according to SAE J1995 without the air cleaner and muffler. Actual engine power and torque can be lower and affected by accessories (air cleaner, exhaust, charging, cooling, fuel pump, etc.), application, engine speed, ambient operating conditions, (temperature, humidity and altitude) and other factors.

This J1940 / J1995 rating provides consistent measurement to customers who may want to control the intake and exhaust features of the engine. For more information, contact Kohler Co. Engine Engineering Department. Kohler Co. reserves the right to change product specifications, designs and standard equipment without notice and without incurring obligation.

Kohler J1995 power and torque has been certified by 3rd Party Witness.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

JoeM
1 hour ago, bcgold said:

The new SAE J1940

BC maybe you can give us the Reader Digest version of this standards protocol? Time, testing procedures and pics!

ebinmaine

Cool stuff

bottjernat1

Here is your hp! 

• Like 2

bottjernat1

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

bc.gold
2 hours ago, bottjernat1 said:

Here is your hp! 

Wrong forum, your engine exceeds the 1 litre displacement.

This SAE Standard is applicable to small spark and compression ignition engines, having a maximum of 1.0 L sweep volume displacement, which are commonly operated outdoors, powering lawn and garden, construction, and general utility equipment. It is not intended to cover engines powering boats.

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine

Honey! I'm going to go mow the lawn.

Opens door / closes door. 

All set!

• Haha 1

bottjernat1

I will tell you this video is my favorite on big hp garden tractors. The guy needs to re shoot this video in High Def Tho! Just the sound of it is so awesome.  ok Im getting off topic sorry! 

• Excellent 4
  • Heart 1

bc.gold
3 hours ago, JoeM said:

BC maybe you can give us the Reader Digest version of this standards protocol? Time, testing procedures and pics!

Previous to the new standard being adopted the horse power you were paying for was not as claimed by the manufacture, my late father RIP had a name for American horse power - BS

Manufactures claimed horse power was always overrated, S.A.E. rated horse power is more to the truth.

• Like 1

Greentored

I've always wanted to shoehorn some kind of big, honkin engine in a go kart or lawnmower, but lengthening/modifying the chassis and drivetrain to a point where it no longer looks like a go kart or lawnmower voids the whole idea, at least for me. a V8 with a lawnmower hood and seat doesn't mean it's a lawnmower anymore eh?

With that being said, my buddy and I are in the (long, drawn out) process of shoving a 400cc, 4 cylinder motorcycle engine in one of those 212cc, rollcage equipped offroad go karts, and its gonna look pretty much stock. Think we're gonna name it "E.R. Trip."

I also prefer "SOP" power ratings. Seat of pants ratings-wise, a solid 15hp and 30-40mph on an otherwise completely stock lawnmower will scare the living crap out of most people:lol:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, bcgold said:

Manufactures claimed horse power was always overrated

Almost.... Most times factories wanted to claim more to look better. 

There were several muscle car engines that were under rated or rated at a lower rpm than peak to fool insurance companies of the day. 

• Excellent 1

JoeM
2 hours ago, bcgold said:

Manufactures claimed horse power was always overrated

Yeah, I got  that,  just thought you knew about the testing process. Do they use a dyno, how long do they run, use peak or extrapolate the data? 

Edited by JoeM