DennisThornton

Bolens 1050 (Mid 60s)

DennisThornton

I just posted in the "What's in your mirror" but I suppose it's better to continue here.  I really could use some help to try to get to speed on Bolens in general, especially attachments but I'd appreciate any tips and info including the Wisconsins they used back then.

I'm still unsure of the year because I was expecting something like "192 0X" and there is no "X".  I've read: The Bolens 1050 carried model codes 192-01 (for 1966) and 192-02 (1967-1969).

Some neat features that I've recently learned:

Adjustable limited slip differential

Like our Wheel Horse GTs, 6spd with 3spd and 2spd rear axle 

Unlike our WHs, twin belt drive to rear drive shaft and twin belts also drive the combo shaft driven Front/Mid/Rear PTOs

Also has a real clutch!

Pretty heavy at 645lbs

Heavy duty front axle with heavy implement attachment points

Heavy duty rear, again with heavy implement attachment points

Bolens Tube Frame 1960s  1050 cockpit (Medium).jpg

Bolens Tube Frame 1960s  1050 l (Medium).jpg

Bolens Tube Frame 1960s  1050 left decals (Medium).jpg

Bolens Tube Frame 1960s  1050 lf (Medium).jpg

Bolens Tube Frame 1960s  1050 lf2 (Medium).jpg

Bolens Tube Frame 1960s  1050 lr (Medium).jpg

Bolens Tube Frame 1960s  1050 rf (Medium).jpg

Bolens Tube Frame 1960s  1050 serial (Medium).jpg

TRA-10D original (Medium).jpg

TRA-12D current replacement (Medium).jpg

Front axle mounts and PTO (Medium).jpg

No cracks in the sidewalls.jpg

Rear frame tubes have been used as well for attachments (Medium).jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

peter lena

DENNIS, as you are seeing those BOLENS  tractors were nothing to sneeze at , they were as solid a piece as you could get back in the day , guy up the road from me  mower acres regularly for years . thanks for saving more old iron , pete

• Like 1

Achto

Nice tractor!! Those old Wisconsins are great engines. If you need parts I Save Tractors has some parts for them.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, peter lena said:

DENNIS, as you are seeing those BOLENS  tractors were nothing to sneeze at , they were as solid a piece as you could get back in the day , guy up the road from me  mower acres regularly for years . thanks for saving more old iron , pete

I'm pleasantly surprised so far!  I would never suggest that someone abandon WHs and buy Bolens but if I did I don't think I'd be doing a terrible disservice except for two reasons.  They might have a hard time finding attachments and they might still have to rely upon this group for advice, but I suppose wouldn't be so bad...  I'm guessing that I'm not the only member that has "wandered" or "gone astray" to see that these are solidly built HD machines.

• Like 1

roadapples

Hey Dennis, welcome back...

• Heart 1

Stepney

Those had a nasty reputation of rounding out the brass worm gear in the rear end if they were used for a lot of pulling or plowing. I owned a few..
Quirky rigs in their old age but they sure were solid for what they were. 

• Like 2

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, Stepney said:

Those had a nasty reputation of rounding out the brass worm gear in the rear end if they were used for a lot of pulling or plowing. I owned a few..
Quirky rigs in their old age but they sure were solid for what they were. 

"brass worm gear" doesn't sound good...  But I doubt this unit has an issue or will ever with what I'll ask of it.

What's the fix?  Used parts only?

What else can you share?

ebinmaine

Nice looking ride there!

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Great to see you posting again Dennis!  Those old “tube frame” Bolens tractors are beasts.  I’ve never owned one but I have seen them at GT shows regularly.  I have a friend that was into them big times about 8 years ago.  He knows a lot more about them than I do.  Definitely heavy duty machines but parts are going to be a little more difficult to track down.   That one looks to be in pretty good shape.

• Like 1

bds1984
On 10/14/2020 at 7:48 AM, PeacemakerJack said:

Great to see you posting again Dennis!  Those old “tube frame” Bolens tractors are beasts.  I’ve never owned one but I have seen them at GT shows regularly.  I have a friend that was into them big times about 8 years ago.  He knows a lot more about them than I do.  Definitely heavy duty machines but parts are going to be a little more difficult to track down.   That one looks to be in pretty good shape.

I was going through some old postings of mine recently and I wondered where Dennis was at.  Well, he's back!

My uncle was into the old Bolens GTs for a time.  He had a few with some large Kohler twins on them.  I always thought the tube frames were pretty cool.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1