Horse Newbie

Onan P220G Fuel Filter Placement

Horse Newbie

I have seen pics of the fuel filter on my P220G after the pulse pump. Is this where it MUST go ?

I'm thinking it must go after the pump as not to interfere with the pump pulling fuel from the tank. Has any of you ever placed the filter before the pump and had problems ? Another thing...I was thinking the filter would be best placed before the pump to filter the fuel before it reaches the pump, helping to protect the pump from contamination. What's your experience ?

lynnmor

I never changed the location and never had problems.  There should be a fine screen in the tank atop the petcock.  You might want to pull it, flush the tank and replace the petcock and seal if needed.

Horse Newbie
45 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I never changed the location and never had problems.  There should be a fine screen in the tank atop the petcock.  You might want to pull it, flush the tank and replace the petcock and seal if needed.

@lynnmor, how do you " pull " the petcock and seal ? Mine seems hard as crap to get out and I don't want to booger it up - mostly concerned about the tank...

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

@lynnmor, how do you " pull " the petcock and seal ? Mine seems hard as crap to get out and I don't want to booger it up - mostly concerned about the tank...

You just "pry" it on out may need a bit of muscle/force to get it out of there... The actual petcock should come out first then the rubber bushing,  but before you remove it maybe you should have a new 1 one hand  https://www.ebay.com/itm/172159421400 ... And you need to lube (motor oil) bushing and valve before putting back in.

Horse Newbie

Thanks WVHillbilly...I will go ahead and order me a bushing and pet cock. Once I get it out, would I reuse the screen inside the tank that was mentioned earlier or do I get another ?

Handy Don

The screen comes staged to the peacock (look closely at the image in the eBay ad 😀)

Handy Don

Staged = attached. Confounded auto-korekt. 

• Haha 1

Horse Newbie
2 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

The screen comes staged to the peacock (look closely at the image in the eBay ad 😀)

I thought I seen a screen on there after looking closer, but I had already commented😝