ebinmaine

Power angle plow?

ebinmaine

I did a search and didn't really find a lot. 

Anyone have a power angle plow on a Horse?

Home built?

Factory?

Could one be added without a ton of trouble and expense?

@pullstart you mentioned a spool valve I think?

What's that do?

8ntruck

A spool valve is a hydraulic or pneumatic valve that has a cylindrical shaped (spool) sliding inside of a block with proper ports to control the direction of the air or hydraulic fluid flow.  You probably have one on your log splitter.

For blade direction control, you will want a 3 position reversing spool valve.  Center is off, the two end positions will be right and left angle.  You will also want that valve to be spring loaded to the center position.

A Farm & Fleet type store should have them in stock.

• Like 2

Pullstart

A spool valve is the control valve.  You’ll use hydraulics off the trans/pump and the spool valve should have one control with float and lift/lower (with down pressure too).  Yeah like Bill said above... might find a suitable sized one for a FEL too...  they have the control positions you would be looking for.

• Thanks 1

Goldnboy

I have added hydraulic lift as shown.

I am currently  working  on doing the hydraulic  angle of the blade with the second  spool valve.

Here are a few other members  methods.

20200624_193915.jpg

Screenshot_20200630-123818_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200601-123208_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

squonk

You need to be careful with the pump out put. To much will cause the blade to angle so fast it will be hard to put it where you want it.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, squonk said:

You need to be careful with the pump out put. To much will cause the blade to angle so fast it will be hard to put it where you want it.

I'd thought about that. 

Seems to me the plows go up/down pretty quickly so it would also go fast side to side. 

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, Goldnboy said:

other members  methods

The lower pic where they've used a hydraulic cylinder. Is there a link to that?

Pullstart
3 hours ago, squonk said:

You can put flow control valves inline in the cylinder you are trying to slow down too.

• Like 3

pfrederi

Hydro Lift  Good thing!!!  Hydro angle.... Meh.  It isn't hard to do manually and if you get a 5 hole quadrant that is enough angle options.  More complexity more chance for failure in the dark, cold and snow....

• Like 2

Goldnboy
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

The lower pic where they've used a hydraulic cylinder. Is there a link to that?

That is a picture  I took while visiting and individual  who is not on redsquare  but is quite involved  with his horses.

Edited by Goldnboy
  • Like 1

8ntruck

When you use flow control valves, you need to make sure they control the flow coming out of the cylinder, not going into the cylinder.  If you control the flow into the cylinder, you will get a pressure drop at the flow control valve, and less force from the cylinder.  

WVHillbilly520H
10 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I did a search and didn't really find a lot. 

Anyone have a power angle plow on a Horse?

Home built?

Factory?

How about a Kioti built from a John Deere?  

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Excellent 1

Goldnboy

I am having good results with cylinder speed from the d series  spool valve.

• Excellent 1

Goldnboy
14 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Hydro Lift  Good thing!!!  Hydro angle.... Meh.  It isn't hard to do manually and if you get a 5 hole quadrant that is enough angle options.  More complexity more chance for failure in the dark, cold and snow....

This is true the WH made the blade so easy to adjust from the operator seat and it was a design that remained  nearly  the same for over 30years is proof  that of how well it works.  

I am planning on putting  a cylinder  in place of the actuator  above so the original  design  change is minimal  and can be converted  back to original  if necessary.   Just gotta get the right cylinder....

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
8 hours ago, Goldnboy said:

This is true the WH made the blade so easy to adjust from the operator seat and it was a design that remained  nearly  the same for over 30years is proof  that of how well it works.  

I am planning on putting  a cylinder  in place of the actuator  above so the original  design  change is minimal  and can be converted  back to original  if necessary.   Just gotta get the right cylinder....

Try Surplus Center and you definitely want a double acting unit.