Old Guy

48 inch mower side to side adjustment

Old Guy

I have a1973 automatic and out a1982 48 inch Sd deck on it and it tilts sideways how can I corect this

Thanks

peter lena

WELCOME OLD GUY ,  have any pictures of that tilting ? almost sounds like you do not have the mower deck lift frame not centered to your tech a matic , frame mount.  making it lift up on an angle , show us more , so we can help you out , pete

Old Guy

It is mounted right it is centered I even measured it the lift arm does hit the grease fitting on the center spindal in the down position.also the lift arm that the lift pin goes threw is offset 2 inches from the center of the mower.I have seen some level adjustment rods for side to side leveling on wheel horse literature but cant get a clear pic of how it is mounted on the deck

Thanks 

I will try to get a pic on and off

Ed Kennell

Could be your deck is not lifting high enough.   When the deck is in the raised position,  both rubber bumpers on the deck should press against the tractor frame rails.

• Like 2

Old Guy

they do it is when I raise  the mower to cut the grass at a 3to4 inch hight one side is 1 and1/2inch higher on the right side   

Thanks

Ed Kennell

The deck is not designed to cut while suspended from the lift.   The height of the cut should be set by adjusting the rear deck wheels.           If you can not get the desired height, you could go to larger deck wheels.

• Like 2

Old Guy

Well maybe there is something I dont understand how do you hold the front at the right height

here are some pics

DSCF4005.JPG

DSCF4008.JPG

DSCF4010.JPG

DSCF4012.JPG

Ed Kennell

Your deck is missing the  threaded rod coupling that connects the lever on the rear wheel axle to the deck carriage.

Go to the manuals section and search for your deck.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

Click on the fuzzy picture to open the manual.    Then scroll down to page 4 to see the height adjusting rod, trunnion and nut that is missing on your deck.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Here is the 1981-1983 manual.     

• Like 1

c-series don
3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Your deck is missing the  threaded rod coupling that connects the lever on the rear wheel axle to the deck carriage.

Go to the manuals section and search for your deck.

Good eye Ed you’re right he is missing the leveling rod !! 

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Click on the fuzzy picture

Garry

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

Here's a picture of my 42" SD.  You can see how the leveling rod is connected at the rear of the deck.

102_2286.JPG.4cb9372d840e8ddb1f4ea74fe4b458a4.JPG

Ed Kennell

Here's a pic of the rod on my modified 48" SD.

102_2287.JPG.2ce1cac901f214dcbd844bd113719c2d.JPG

Old Guy

Thanks guys I have the rod hooked up but the more I lift the front with it it doesen help the lopsied  problem

Ed Kennell

When the deck is lowered to the mowing position, the deck is supported at three points,  the two rear wheels and the front tach 0 matic.     The adjustment rod is used to level the deck front to rear, but there is no side to side adjustment.

Looking at your picture, there appears to have been some repairs made to the right rear corner of your deck.   Is it possible the rear wheel support bracket is not in the correct position?

Or has the wheel bracket been repositioned on the rear axle?      

I believe the support rod and spring you refer to are  for carrying the extra weight of a power bagger.

Again, the deck will not remain level when it is partially raised and the rear wheels are not touching the ground.

If you need to mow without the wheels touching, you would have to add a support rod system to keep it level.

Edited by Ed Kennell

Old Guy

Thanks Ed you are right on some one has welded heavier plates probably to fix cracks. It appears he was a great welder but not a layout guy.4 locations out 1?4 inch each has caused this mayhem .I finally got the mower siting on the ground on all 4 points without it rocking from opposite corners. When I tighten the rod to lift the front it raises the left front corner. Now im 3/8ths of an inch of side to side so traveling in the same direction it would have a 3/4 difference in the cut. I am going to change the 2 side bars (switch from side to side) as the whole in the left bar is a bit sloppy. These are the ones with the rubber stop bumpers. I believe the slop and the adjustment on the same side is puling the other side up.I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your interest.

• Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

There should be bushings in those side plate brackets.

Old Guy

Yup they are good its the center rod