huck finn

606 reviews

huck finn

hello I'm new to the forum and on my way to pick up a 606 in the morning which will be the first of a couple wheel horse tractor's I hope, it has not run in a couple years but did when it was parked????? it's been stored inside, fair condition with the blower and deck attachments for 150.00,  I finally think I have the time to be able to pull it apart and somewhat restore it but before I take it Too far is it a good model to restore and use? thank you for any info anyone can share with me.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti:

At that price with a couple of attachments you've done quite well.

Good model to use. Decent power. That should be a Tecumseh engine with a pull start . Three speed transmission.

Get it up and running and do a baseline service to it. 

Most importantly, show us lots of pictures!

• Like 3

gwest_ca

Welcome to Red Square

Click on the pictures for more info

Just a guess on the attachment models

Study the parts lists so you can identify all the loose pieces required. They often get misplaced when the attachment is removed from the tractor.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

8ntruck

Welcome to the forum.  Lots of good folks here.  Be sure to ask questions - somebody here has probably broken, and fixed whatever you find on your tractor.  They will come along and offer guidance.

• Like 1

rmaynard

:WRS:  Glad to have you among us. Be sure to post some pictures when you get the chance.

• Like 1

Achto

:WRS:

Like stated above, before you dig into a resto get it running & see where your base line is. If it has been sitting for a long time a fuel system cleaning and an oil change would be the first steps towards getting it running

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2

rjg854

All kinds of good advice already so let just say :WRS:

And

:wwp:

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Run do not walk but run as fast as you can and get it home! And you might want to make some more room. You may need it
:ROTF::happy-jumpeveryone::happy-jumpeveryone:

:text-welcomeconfetti:T😎:rs:

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

Huck  :WRS: I have had a few 606 and 7 these can be a good tractor if you get them to run right. If they have the original carbs and in good working order that is a plus. Do not throw a way just rebuild. They are a simple tractor but built very well and easy to move around if in you way. The H60`s are easy to work on. I hope they work for you and enjoy them. Stay safe. I have the dealer manuals for the H60 if you need part #`s. 

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

5868efe7b79b1_607finshednext3.jpg.6303ac76c3322634a3f360891bc6b276.jpgHuck #15868efdd2b7ba_6074.jpg.fd5d6c3a7402cf1ec1aebfdee7161ac8.jpg#2 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

rjg854

huck you'll really like the short frame tractors, they are quite nimble and easy on fuel.  I'm not familiar with Techy engines, but the short frame tractor are one of my favorites

• Like 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti: @huck finn!

I have essentially the same rig, my Commando 6.  It is not weighed down by much other than me, but it’s a true monster!

00F6B4C1-2653-49D3-911B-633583407207.jpeg

54DD55DC-7462-4AD8-9CD2-35F56F4C8ADF.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

huck finn

Thank you all very much for the info the pictures and the welcome I'll get some pic's tomorrow and post them, thanks again to ALL.

• Like 3

huck finn

got it home today it's a 605 with a 8hp briggs motor on it, no spark I gave it a WD-40 bath and looked it over, the blower is in decent shape but the mower deck has a bad spot that that I could repair but I don't plan on using the mower anyway, I take it the H60 motor was changed out for the 8 hp briggs,  that must mean the hood and grill were notched out for the air cleaner?  who ever cut it out did a factory job but now that hinders me from trying to go original and putting an H60 back in it,  any thoughts on what path I should take with it? 150.00 brought it home and it's solid and best of all I like it......

IMG_1151.JPG

IMG_1152.JPG

IMG_1153.JPG

IMG_1154.JPG

Edited by huck finn
add photo's
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

WHNJ701

The commando I redid, the previous cut the the hood for the air cleaner and replaced the engine, it looked fine to me I went with it

IMG_20200823_163158.jpg

Edited by jabelman
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHNJ701

IMG_20200904_173224.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

huck finn

couple more pic'sIMG_1167.JPG.3a0bae1a785f8e910d19db7608ba3107.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG

IMG_1159.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

huck finn

your's looks good, I won't let it bother me and see if I can get that 8 hp going and see how and if it runs and go from there, if the hood wasn't cut I do have a couple H50's on the shelf that are ready to go  but that air cleaner on the 8 hp briggs fills the hole nicely, need to locate a steering wheel.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Garry

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Looks like someone grafted in a snowblower engine and did a fine job at that. The cuts, angles and lines look great. 

The I/C Briggs is a good running line with good durability and reliability. 

I'd personally prefer one of those to a Tecumseh most times. 

To get another hood if you want to go completely accurate will likely be easy enough. 

That Briggs having no spark may be the points which I think are under the flywheel. Lots of folks use a module to replace the points so you don't need to remove the flywheel anymore. 

Interesting change on the throttle cable. Correct ones are available from pzep.biz.  

Nice looking rig overall. Ya done well!!

• Like 2

Pullstart

Nice job! You bought the blower and got the rest tossed in!  That hood notch doesn’t look terrible and it gives your machine some more character.  I’d see about getting it to fire up, then get a shift knob to protect the jewels... and have a good time making room for the next one!

• Like 3

huck finn

well I have spark replaced the carb and am driving around the yard, next step will be to flush and change the transmission fluid, I tried to find info on it but could only locate the capacity at 1 1/2 qts,  should I flush with diesel which I read in a 2014 conversation and what is good fluid to use in these older machines? I'm no mechanic so I was pretty excited about getting my wheel horse up and driving now I need to do a tranny service and grease job and then I can start looking at the appearance end, so any and all the info you can give me about the tranny service and maybe what might be a good fluid/ oil would be correct? thank you for your time and knowledge.......

• Like 2

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, huck finn said:

tranny service

You want to get the front of the tractor as high as you can safely do so because there is a lump in the middle where the bolt holds it together.

Fill with 2 quarts of diesel, kerosene, home heating oil, whatever...

Driving around for a few minutes using all gears and taking corners.

Empty, refill, repeat until runs clear.

Then fill it up with whatever inexpensive 80w90 you can get your hands on . Same 1.5 quarts that you found.

• Like 3

Pullstart

Awesome news!  Nothing like the feeling of getting something old running again!  Limited slip equipped transmissions take 2qts and have essentially the same case, but have a taller fill tube.  I recently decided I’d try to get a little extra in 1.5 qt capacity machines and have gotten close to 2 qts fairly easy by jacking the left side up higher when refilling.  It probably doesn’t matter, because having oil in there is more important than not having oil... but I’ve seen these run around on little to no oil!

• Like 2