theboz

Unknown electrical component

theboz

I have a K301s in a Deutz-Allis, it is a replacement motor but I have the original that I want to rebuild and maybe keep to put in a WH with no motor. The Deutz hasn't run for a while. Found a ton of corrosion and found a mostly disintegrated component that has no distinguishable markings left. It looks like it is wired in between the ammeter and the ignition switch. I will have to make a new wiring harness for the second motor and the deutz was going to be the template. Could it be a fuse?

20200928_173914.jpg

20200928_173010.jpg

bc.gold

If the voltage regulator had a diode leak

Alternator diode draining battery
This could cause the battery to run down over time. Diode failures may also allow AC current to leak into the electrical system. ... A leaky diode also can allow current to drain out of the battery through the alternator when the vehicle is not being driven. A faulty voltage regulator can also cause charging problems.
  • Thanks 1

theboz

The battery leaked and ate most of the connections, this is the  only unidentifiable object.

bc.gold
17 minutes ago, theboz said:

The battery leaked and ate most of the connections, this is the  only unidentifiable object.

Frozen battery or over charged.

Mix up a solution of baking soda and water, pour this over the corroded parts, this will kill the acid saving whats left  of the battery box.

Edited by bcgold

953 nut
53 minutes ago, theboz said:

K301s in a Deutz-Allis, it is a replacement motor

:WRS:

That engine is spec 47799 which would have been found in a Simplicity. I don't know if tha tis a Allis part or a Simplicity part. What was it connected to? Are there any wires coming out of the flywheel cover? Can you post a picture of them if there are wires?

theboz
26 minutes ago, bcgold said:

Frozen battery or over charged.

Mix up a solution of baking soda and water, pour this over the corroded parts, this will kill the acid saving whats left  of the battery box.

Yes it sat for a couple years and would have frozen. Baking soda on everything was already on the to do list.

theboz
26 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:

That engine is spec 47799 which would have been found in a Simplicity. I don't know if tha tis a Allis part or a Simplicity part. What was it connected to? Are there any wires coming out of the flywheel cover? Can you post a picture of them if there are wires?

It is a late 80s Deutz, pretty sure it was made by simplicity at that point. The wires went from positive side of the solenoid into one end the component then the other side comes from the  wiring harness, can't remove the battery tray easily, but the same color wire comes back out and into the ammeter,  which then goes to the ignition switch.

gwest_ca

Is it a model B212 or H212?

The engine was made in 1986.

Looks like what is left of a circuit breaker.

Garry

Circuit breaker.jpg

• Excellent 4

bc.gold

Some heavy equipment operators called these battery disconnects we called the, night switches, if there was a stray current discharging the battery overnight this switch was installed to break the circuit.

I believe the previous owner had a battery discharging issues and installed that miniature switch to break the power circuit to the voltage regulator when the machine was being unused for extended periods.

Or perhaps the voltage regulator was overcharging, had t his been the case he would have run the machine with the circuit ( switch ) in the closed position then at some point broke the circuit and run off battery current.

It's a band aid.

night.png

Edited by bcgold

bc.gold
10 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Garry

sswitch.png

theboz
18 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Garry

Circuit breaker.jpg

That definitely looks like it,  the plastic is even eaten though so I couldn't find any numbers or letters. On a side note the tractor is a Duetz-Allis 912h that my grandmother bought new when she had her buisness.

Edited by theboz

theboz

battery ignition tractor-wiring.jpg

I found this diagram here on a different post, I'll have to look again when it is light out but I'm pretty sure that the circuit breaker is in the same place as the fuse here.

gwest_ca

Look at item 33 below the battery.

https://www.partstree.com/models/912-h-1690516-allis-chalmers-garden-tractor-12hp/electrical-group-7112-7114-7117-7119-early-models-6/

May be the wrong part because there are 3 other 912H models listed.

1690516 (above)

Let me know if you find one of these model numbers.

Garry

theboz

Well good news, after cleaning a few connections and putting in a new circuit breaker, it ran great. Thanks for the help guys.