peter lena

wonder bar nail puller / pulley remover

peter lena

I have done this a number of times , and each time i do it ,it gets easier and smoother , mower deck pulley removal . first off the pulley edges are very weak , so any pulley remover will destroy them , pulley strength is at the shaft mount housing to the pulley. you have a great LEVERAGE ADVANTAGE THERE , COMBINED WITH THE SPINDLE BOLT, TO DECK MOUNT POINT. after penetrating oil soak at spindle nut removal point , i use (  2 ), 15 " curved thin wonder bars , picture the curve of the bar , on top of the spindle deck mount bolt , curve facing up , against the pulley shaft mount housing , now you have very strong rocker  leverage advantage , at that point ,i equally push down on the pry bars , and strength against strength , the pulley lifts off the shaft. done this on all my deck rebuilds , and it really makes things much easier. i also detail re greasing the bearings with hi temp grease , to stop failure , lucas red and tacky grease . the decks run with smooth solid and quiet function, pete   

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

stevasaurus

How about some pictures...this is good!!  and detail the pictures.  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 5

peter lena

i will try to get pictures tomorrow, pete

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Racinbob

This is the wonder bar he's referring to Steve. I also have two of them and remove deck pulleys in that manner. It's a must have in your tool box. :)

1928538083_Wonderbar.jpg.33afd559b6380220cb7b038246ceaacd.jpg

• Like 2

CCW

I too have the Wonder Bar.  Some years ago when I lost my first one I immediately bought a new one.

AMC RULES

Makes scents.

stevasaurus

I have a bar that looks like that!!   It's about 2' long.  :occasion-xmas:

rick

I need to find a couple of those!  HD or Lowes?

The Tuul Crib

I have two of those . I even have 

a six inch one!

Stormin

I've two as well. One at 2ft and one at 1ft.

peter lena

RICK,  got them at harbour freight , 4$ each , so handy , pete

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

8ntruck

Great tool.  I think I have 5 of them.  2 here in Michigan, and 3 at my 'alternate location' in Missouri.

These things are handy enough that when I can't find one during a project, I'll go out and buy another.

• Like 3

rick

thanx, pete!

• Like 2

peter lena

anytime rick , pete

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Lee1977

Dang mine won't work I have a metal colored and a blue one and I can see you have a red one.

johnnymag3
3 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

Dang mine won't work I have a metal colored and a blue one and I can see you have a red one.

Paint the darn thing RED      :happy-bouncymulticolor:

• Excellent 2

johnnymag3

Everything looks better and lasts longer when its RED

Dash B100.jpg

Edited by johnnymag3
  • Like 1

johnnymag3

eddie.jpg

Charbs152
On 9/29/2020 at 9:03 AM, Racinbob said:

This is the wonder bar he's referring to Steve. I also have two of them and remove deck pulleys in that manner. It's a must have in your tool box. :)

1928538083_Wonderbar.jpg.33afd559b6380220cb7b038246ceaacd.jpg

ive got 3 sizes !!

daveoman1966

For this style pulley...with the RIM at top of center hub, use an automotive POWER STEERING PUMP PULLEY remover tool.  The tool can be had at AutoZone for a small 'rental' fee...which is refunded if the tool is returned promptly without damage.  If the pulley doesn't have this hub RIM, then the two wonder bars can work well.  The two WONDER bars MAY also be used to lift (pull) the CAST IRON pulleys of deck with Double-D configuration.  IMG_0353 (1).JPG

• Like 1

peter lena

@daveoman1966  dave found experimenting with the bite  /. grip of the pry bar , was the telling point . bar sitting on top of spindle mount bolt , forward edge of bar up against the pulley center shoulder point , its so solid and strong , the initial lift was like magic , smooth lift off . when I  did the other 2 it was the same thing , effortless. . worth experimenting on an old deck, just to learn . no bent pulleys at all , pete

• Excellent 1

davem1111
2 hours ago, peter lena said:

@daveoman1966  dave found experimenting with the bite  /. grip of the pry bar , was the telling point . bar sitting on top of spindle mount bolt , forward edge of bar up against the pulley center shoulder point , its so solid and strong , the initial lift was like magic , smooth lift off . when I  did the other 2 it was the same thing , effortless. . worth experimenting on an old deck, just to learn . no bent pulleys at all , pete

I have some of those bars and will be trying this method this weekend, if I have time.  Especially having just found out that new spindles are $150!  Salvaging spindles from an old deck I don't need...  Thanks!

peter lena

@davem1111 .  you don't want to roughhouse  those pulleys , their strongest point , is at the center sleeve wall point . push in both of the pry bars till they are against the center sleeve outer edge .the rocker edge of the bar is sitting on top of the bolt to deck spindle point . thats your strongest leverage . with pulley nut removed . push outward on both bars at same time .  pulley should  just lift right off .  done this , on my decks , looking to improve a chronic , noise  / failure issue . it works , learn from your teardown , pete 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@davem1111  have an old deck you can practice on ? got the feel and motion , on a beater , also like  KRIOL  as a penetrant , has a creep ability thats off the charts . can honestly look at a spindle bearing  , replace , re grease as no big deal . that bolt top , swing leverage , evenly  lifts that pulley . once I saw / felt the smooth / quiet results , 3 decks , 3 mule drives , related movement , PTO LEVER , solid / smooth . I also lightly feed in the belt drive , the rotation is instant , my decks are now , in  a lubrication soak in till spring . completely eliminate / change. the WET GRUNGE CYCLE , chain / cable  penetrant , first , let sit a few days , till wet oil look goes away , then  open gear spray on top of that ,https://www.toolup.com/Aervoe-7045-H-D-Open-Gear-Wire-Rope-Lube?gcB , that dries into a tough lubrication coating ,  also use the same , spray soaking , to rustproof my cars , rust free decks , pete

• Thanks 1