Oldcpecdr

Resto or Patina ?

Oldcpecdr

Hey all

Here is my dilemma.... I now have four horses, my original two were really well taken care of and look like well cared for 45 year old machines should, I like them just the way they are and have resisted  getting out the spray gun 

and ordering decals !!!!

But NOW I have four Horses and the last two were ridden hard and put away wet. I brought both into the shop today and there are some pics below.  The B80 has a little hood damage and  some ugly safety tape on the hood.

I need to redo the rear axle seals and go over the mechanics and that is the winter project for both of these machines. I was thinking it would be nice to have at least one show Horse... today I gave some thought to getting out the body hammers and dollys and fixing the hood and ordering some paint after the mechanics are done. 

Should I paint it or leave all four in their natural Patina state ?  Ugly duckling shown below.

Mike B

And of course I am still eyeing  that little Case I saw last week. One of my cars is going to be really unhappy giving up its heated spot.

B80 1.jpg

B80 2.jpg

B80 3.jpg

B80 4.jpg

B806.jpg

B80 7.jpg

B80 8.jpg

B80 9.jpg

Edited by Oldcpecdr
sp
  • Like 1

Stepney

Swear I seen that tractor for sale at some point.. that hood decal really stands out hahaha.

In that state.. yeah I'd paint it. I have a Raider with a similar shoddy paint job and it looks pretty ugly. If its a weathered original I like to stay that way.. granted .. an ugly paint job you will never worry about. Every machine I restored I've always been nervous around. 

• Like 4

oliver2-44

I could see doing a little dolly straightening. i suspect that safety tape would come off with a het gun without damaging the paint.  Then try some polishing compound or wet sand a test area and see it clear coating is for you.   That tractors far from rough compared to what I see around here.

Tell us more about this little "Case Tractor."  we're your friends and will certainly help you feed the addiction.  

P.S. i have an early  Case and the hydraulic drive is really cool,,,or scary.  It can go as fast in reverse a forward..  They fixed that after a few years I'm told. 

But most importantly make them your own.

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 2

ebinmaine

Has it been repainted already?

If so I'd strip it and paint it right. Then new decals. 

If that paint is original you could try to shine it up. 

At minimum I'd get rid of the decals. Repaint the muffler and wheels. New seat. Just spiff it up some. 

7 hours ago, Stepney said:

Swear I seen that tractor for sale at some point

I had the same thought. 

Mind sharing where it was?

I understand the logic of not wanting to mess with a restored rig too much but Trina and I have no concern with working them. That's what they're made to do. 

As she says, "I know where to buy more paint".

What is really DOES come down to is:

It's your tractor and you should do what you want to!!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

rjg854

Some of mine are rougher than that, I sorta like that they look their age.  I go through them mechanically, and make sure they're good that way but other than that I tend to like them unmolested.  But as others have said, it's your tractor, do what you want with it.  If you plan on keeping them, you won't have to worry about getting something for your time and trouble making it a "show tractor".  What are your plans for the tractor when you get done doing all that work to it?  Are you going to work it or will it just sit so it doesn't get all scratched up.  Just throwing some questions at you, don't need an answer really, just my :twocents-twocents:

953 nut
8 hours ago, Oldcpecdr said:

I gave some thought to getting out the body hammers and dollys and fixing the hood and ordering some paint after the mechanics are done

You could always choose to celebrate the imperfections. Here are some stickers to think about.

image.jpeg.9c365f43616b3d846f205baeb4cfa32f.jpegimages?q=tbn%3AANd9GcR5aaXMTXmQTvFrhzxLibdul7sJA7VvvEcfuGjcTeT0cAPO1pigmOlRpgTzwoc&usqp=CAcimage.jpeg.d972a6af95ef998719c1e204d2e24830.jpeg:ychain:

• Haha 3

AMC RULES

Restoring them is fun.20200914_133745.jpg.862b91fea68de3038b26840c0b1e59c1.jpg Forewarning...chasing W-H prefection can be quite addicting too. :tools-hammerdrill:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib
12 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Restoring them is fun.20200914_133745.jpg.862b91fea68de3038b26840c0b1e59c1.jpg Forewarning...chasing W-H prefection can be quite addicting too. :tools-hammerdrill:

:text-yeahthat: l need help:ROTF:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:rolleyes:  Well, you've tackled the first step...20200914_212939.jpg.78d9374599c1064fc1ff36c61c1b8ad0.jpg

Oldcpecdr

Thanks all for the thoughts

It was either a CL or a FB Marketplace listing in Ma.  I posted it here a few weeks ago when I dragged it home.

It will stay a worker either way.... I have two grandsons who live in Maine but summer a lot here on the Cape,  was thinking a good way for them to learn bodywork and paint.

Never too young to start learning. 

AMC that is a beautiful resto and what I have in my mind, in reality I would probably do the mechanics, clean the frame and running gear, do a little sprucing up of exhaust etc. , and then repaint the tins.  If its here it does get used.

The problem is that other than a summer mower and a winter snow removal machine (LOL and maybe  a spare Horse) I need the space for  the  zillion other projects around here.. So why am I continuing to buy ?

Talk about addiction,  and not being able to resist shiny new paint....

Mike B

PS I ordered a NOS  front escutcheon plate a few weeks ago because I saw it on ebay, paid too much for it because it was, well, NEW....maybe it's too late and I am already over the cliff.

Edited by Oldcpecdr
ps
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

AMC RULES

Let's all hope you are! 20200914_212939.jpg.1fa798add0b910f6bf8a7966b91930c7.jpg

Welcome to the club!

• Heart 1

Pullstart

I vote to fix what needs fixing, wet sand what you want to clean up, give it a satin clear and run it!

Why do we continue to buy?

To save from the scrapper?  To see those smiles?  To have the biggest smile?

16C9CB0D-F5A7-4041-8793-6C9444A2EDD2.jpeg

B9CD18BC-3DC1-4BEC-B9D9-690A7D2C6B2A.jpeg

2AEFF117-A3C9-4786-986F-A8B2B5F86622.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

peter lena

I like the clean patina look , its earned it , regularly MMO or similar lubricant rub down my horses, in the mean time , i keep up with anything that  needs to be repaired  or replaced. a restoration is a totally different set up , my horses are all over 30 years old , oldest approaching 40 years, with regular maintenance and upgrades  i like them as they are .  they are solid and are used regularly . pete  

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Fix mechanical stuff, routine maintenance, run it...

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

ohiofarmer

You could take "baby steps"  By that i mean use some rustoleum almond paint on the wheels. Nice wheels make the 'experinced' paint on the rest of the tractor look very nice with a rubbed oil finish

Another thing to try is sanding down smooth and putting clear over it. Use satin clear and wet sand a few times. Then try some gloss over the satin and rub it down.

Most importantly, put your try it out stuff UNDER the seat pan to test out the appearance you like. I had an old seat pan from a short hood roller that was completely rusted, but after careful sanding and filling it in with clear, it was like marble in appearance. My biggest regret was tearing down a real worker c series that is still not finished.

Really up to you in the end. You know your own level of organization and it is probably better than mine.

• Like 1

Oldcpecdr

I don't NOT like the Patina look, but the dents distract me... my wife is always amazed how I spot a door ding from 50 feet... and I am not upset about it, life happens. But I notice ...

My own fun cars are well kept but unrestored, well the Blazer is repainted but that was a dad and son project...but my other summer daily driver is a pristine 86000 mile beauty.

I guess my point is I wish the other Horses were as well kept as the first two, I will go through and do all the mechanical stuff  but is going to be hard not to make them look pretty.

Thank you for all the input...it's all advice well taken...

Now I got to go call the guy about that Case , add another dilemma to life....

Mike B

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Oldcpecdr said:

call the guy about that Case , add another dilemma to life

:ROTF:

We'll be looking forward to more info