WHX??

Time for A Big Air Compressor

WHX??

I been getting by with a dinky Rol-Aire for so long I won't know how to act with something decent. I was waiting to build bump out off the shop and put it in there for more room and less noise but that's gonna have to wait. 

Narrowed things down to these three unless you guys see better deals. Biggest requirement is 11-12 cfm @ 90psi, what a HF blast cab needs. 

Quincy # 1  Leaning most towards this one 

Quincy # 2

Dewalt

• Like 1

Achto

Been running my Sandborn for over 20yrs. Replaced the belt twice and replaced the tank 2yrs ago. I Would say either #1 or #3.

TSC carries Ingersoll Rand and Dewalt air compressors. Might want to check there and save some shipping.

I believe that Fleet Farm carries Dewalt also.

bc.gold

Regardless of your choice install a magnetic start switch rated for the amperage your motor uses.

My old Quincy  came out of a grain elevator, two stage with pressurized oil system, the compressor starts free of any load, as the oil pressure builds the pressure the unloader valves close and  the pump starts pumping air.

My air pressure regulator is set at 175 psi, I use a two stage air dryer that has a regular on the side I'm using air from.

I've installed a magnetic start switch, this is wired into the pressure switch, the mag switch is  better suited to handle those heavy start up amps.

I had a look at your choices, IMO #1 is consumer grade playing on the Quincy reputation.

Give ya three guess's where a consumer grade product would be made.

Where are Quincy air compressors manufactured?
Principal product development and manufacturing units are located in Belgium, Germany, the United States, China and India.

Quincy Compressor is a leading designer and manufacturer of reciprocating and rotary screw air compressors, vacuum pumps and a full line of air treatment components.

• Thanks 1

WHX??

TSC has this one in Berlin and that's it near as I could tell. 

There is a new place in Portage Dan called Stock and Field. Never heard of them but same as a Fleet Farm maybe a tad smaller Just opened next to TSC there. 

https://www.bigr.com/home

They had the first three listed. 

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1

squonk

You're comparing apples to oranges. Get the 2 stage Quincy. No comparison. My compressor is similar to the single stage ones you posted and you won't like it if you do a lot of blasting.

Go here if you want any info on blasting and compressors. If you don't buy Quincy, go with a Champion.

https://www.tptools.com/default.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6rfoicOC7AIVD43ICh265wafEAAYASAAEgLAdvD_BwE

https://www.tptools.com/Air-Compressors.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RJ Hamner

:text-yeahthat:

Bill D

KIMG0178.JPG.d1c0b057b0ca2e4dde8754fe3b3be8f7.JPG

I picked this up used about two years ago.  Great machine.  I have about $500 in it.  I goes for $2500 new.  17 CFM.  It's not their top of the line model, but that's ok for my needs.  Fills the tank from 0-125 psi in 4 min.

KIMG0241.JPG

Edited by Bill D
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

DennisThornton

Air compressors simply produce rated CFMs at various pressures.  The tank just holds air.  That can keep the unit from kicking in everytime a little bit of air is used and it can hold more air than the compressor can produce for short high volume bursts.  But if you are running continuously the tank doesn't help and you need a compressor that will produce the volume at that pressure required.  Small compressors with BIG tanks can do BIG jobs but only until the air in the tank runs out and then the compressor can't keep up.  I ran a body shop with 3-4 guys on a industrial 2 stage 5HP for a decade.  Did quite a bit of sandblasting but that's a chore where more is indeed better.  More makes the process go faster and blasting was the only time I wished for a bigger compressor.

• Like 2

squonk

Figure out the biggest meanest compressor you can afford then double it! :lol:

• Like 2