Sign in to follow this  
JonW

GT 1642 question

JonW

I found a 1980's Workhorse GT 1642 with a pull behind lawn vac. He is asking $500 for both. What I am looking for is a tractor to run a rototiller, blade, cultivator and maybe a snow blower. Would this tractor be up to the tasks?

WH1642.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

hodge

Yep. That Briggs may not be as heavy duty as the Kohlers and Onans, but it is plenty enough of an engine to do the work. And the rest of the tractor is just as durable as a red/maron WH.

I would certainly see if you can get it for less than $500, but that depends a lot on what availability of other tractors to pick from, what they go for in your region, and how much it is worth to you. $500 is certainly less than what you would pay on Ebay, but there are some blazing deals out there. I have overpaid for tractors, and have bought them at very low prices, and sold enough stuff off them to pay for them.

Get the best deal you can, don't look back, and enjoy yourself. The workhorse tractors are just economy Wheelhorses, and are up to the task.

jtmoyer

I found a 1980's Workhorse GT 1642 with a pull behind lawn vac. He is asking $500 for both.

if it is all for $500 i would buy it. i just sold a vac for $500

TJ

It can handle the job. :omg: :drool:

plowmaster

would the workhorse be considerd as a less expensive option compared to an original wheelhorse? original with b+s engines and no hydro?

if i needed a vac, and it came with its own engine, and the tractor had all the signs of being reliable, as in new batt, belts and tires that hold air, quiet and rust free deck, i would think it would be well worth 500. that still dosent mean you need to offer him 500.

JonW

Thanks for the replies, but I thought it over and will wait for a Kohler powered WH.

plowmaster

Thanks for the replies, but I thought it over and will wait for a Kohler powered WH.

tell that to the fella who owns the tractor now.

theres no reason you cant drive that one while your waiting for a kohler, is there? :omg:

Operator

I have the Workhorse 1848 Hydro, I like it! Just doesn't sound like a Kohler with that B&S in it. I till with it and run the rotary broom works great.

Randy

jtmoyer

where are you located? i have a nice kohler attached to a 312-8

JonW

Barre, MA half way between Springfield and Worcester

hodge

I have a GT 1600, and just sold a 520 with the Onan, and both have MORE than sufficient power. The GT has a stepped main pulley on the deck, and you can mow all day long in heavy grass at half throttle, no issues. I love a Kohler, but I am not the least bit scared of that Briggs.

plowmaster

I have a GT 1600, and just sold a 520 with the Onan, and both have MORE than sufficient power. The GT has a stepped main pulley on the deck, and you can mow all day long in heavy grass at half throttle, no issues. I love a Kohler, but I am not the least bit scared of that Briggs.

what is a stepped deck pulley and its advantages?

thanks

hodge

The center pulley on the deck takes the drive belt, and runs the spindles. Therefore, two pulleys. One is larger than the other, so the deck spins at faster RPMs than a normal setup. At half throttle, the deck runs at normal speed. With Gator blades on it, which were on there when I bought it, it would set up a scary harmonic vibration at anything above half throttle. I removed them and put on a new set of regular blades, and you could run it all the way up to full throttle. But, you didn't need to- it really burned less fuel at the lower throttle setting, and had more than enough power and blade speed to mow. I never hit a patch of grass that it couldn't handle.

bo dawg

I wouldn't be afraid of that tractor JonW, it will do all the things you're looking for. And the B&S engine should serve you well. I would try to get him down some but never the less you can sell the vac and make some of your money back and end up with a better deal. Later if you want, you can come across a kohler engine and put on it. :omg: food for thought.

:drool: