oliver2-44

1960 Suburban 400 and 1961 Suburban 551 Restoration

oliver2-44
12 hours ago, 542WheelHorse said:

Hi - this Suburban is quite impressive to follow along.  I have a Suburban 400, 1960 year.  I'm leaking at the rear tires where the axle connects.  It is the axle seal.  Have you run into this issue and if so, what was the solve or newer part # that you used to source the fix?

Toro seems to have the original seals made on a hit or miss basis. Use the link AMC posted to buy them from one of our vendors on here who has them made just for us

• Like 3

Horse Newbie
On 11/14/2021 at 11:33 PM, oliver2-44 said:

@Horse Newbie PC7 is an epoxy similar to JB Weld. It is a bit thicker, not quite as runny as JB Weld.  PC 7 reminds me of some expensive industrial repair products we used to build up worn pump impellers or packing box shaft sleeves. I really can’t say if JB Weld or PC 7 is better. On the spindles I built up it was nice the PC7 was less runny. At the same time I filled some pitting on my sons 312-8 mower deck about 5 years ago and it’s still there 

I buy PC7 on Amazon.  I’ve bought Large tubes of JB weld at Tractor Supply or Amazon

Is this it ? @oliver2-44

94253BA2-987D-48E5-A0AD-505C6C13CD9D.jpeg

• Like 2

oliver2-44

@Horse Newbie yes that’s what I used

• Thanks 1

oliver2-44

The original steering shafts were cut to get the rusty tractors apart.  So I bought two 3/4 x 36" steel rods and drilled them to make new shafts.  I'm leaving them long for now to possible adjust their length for my taller height. 

1040505721_IMG_68691.JPG.2a573b302b648725efffd6119b716ccc.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44

Cleaned and coated one gas tank and will be coating a few more.  B6266634-513D-4A56-A986-9AF60D88D9A4.jpeg.96a3654a7223ad26cbea12e76e76d5ab.jpeg
The red color you see inside is the “Red-Coat” coating. I probable could do 3-4 more tanks with this quart can
12AB41FC-2EE0-43CC-8CEC-5551D6953BF6.jpeg.85aa8e05bdce07f4f5cba6a095a93ea1.jpeg

I cleaned the inside of the tank using a hand full of drywall screws and strapped to a tractor wheel for a while. Then a vinegar soak overnight followed by a water then lacquer thinner rinse. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

oliver2-44

Painted about 3/4 of the parts to 1 Suburban this afternoon. Winter may be the best time to paint in Texas, 62F. no wind and no bugs.  Sometimes the stars align, the paint really laid down nice today.  I could leave them hang and say they are Christmas Wind Chimes. 
B1DF0E7B-2AA4-40A0-987F-9ED9CAF9ECE2.jpeg.1a34db7e1d83a4d5c388dc411c5fa3b9.jpeg
So this Suburban is being painted with Rustoleum a Regal Red with hardener. I’m thinking the next one I’ll get an @Achto type paint job. It will be an interesting comparison. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

Achto

I like the wind chimes!! :)

Nothing wrong with good ole Rust-o. An acrylic enamel does have a little better durability and gloss retention though. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
26 minutes ago, Achto said:

Nothing wrong with good ole Rust-o. An acrylic enamel does have a little better durability and gloss retention though. 

Agreed.  

We've been using Rust-Oleum 2x spray cans for most of the work around here. 

Usually lays out well. 

Prep is of course paramount as with any paint work, spray or not. 

We find that it doesn't truly cure to full hardness for at least 6 to 8 weeks.  

Even then it doesn't come close to comparison of an automotive paint.  

Doesn't much matter to us because all ours are workers at this point. 

If we did do a restoration and wanted long lasting great looks I'd really want to go to a different paint type.   

• Like 3