ebinmaine

Limited slip spring wear patterns

ebinmaine

What's considered a normal wear pattern for these limited slip springs?

If you look at the picture below of the spring I took out of the 1970 Charger hydro you can see that there are grooves all the way around that match up with where 9 of the 10 pinions was sitting.

I say nine because one of the gears was right where the opening is.

I understand the basic mechanics of how these are supposed to work and I was under the impression that if the axles are turning at different rates then the spring would rotate. That doesn't appear to be the case here.

As you can see I have a new one to put in.

Seeing those grooves  got me wondering if one could potentially just move the spring to a halfway point between the grooves thereby restoring full limited slip.

What say you, Redsquare transmission gurus?

IMG_20200921_195420829.jpg

71_Bronco

Here's mine from my 5060, shows the same wear as yours. Mine was still tight in the pinions when I pulled it out, but I replaced it anyways.

The only concern I'd see if you re-used it, and tried to put it in, is that if it slips and goes back into the grooves where it was, and you're no further than you started. Not sure if that can happen or not.

20200524_142954.jpg.fd379e64b8ef9b177e4b3459f381237f.jpg

• Like 1

pfrederi

The wear pattern looks normal ...BUT that deep groove is not good. I would think it would work its way back to the original position given the depth of wear.

• Like 1

daveoman1966

Where can I buy the new SPRING?  I have a LSD with a broken spring...needs replaced.

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, daveoman1966 said:

Where can I buy the new SPRING?  I have a LSD with a broken spring...needs replaced.

Lowell and Joette have them now