Sign in to follow this  
hudog

17 hp Kohler engine vs 16 / 18 hp engine

hudog

I'm picking up a 417A next week with the 2 cyclinder 17 hp Kohler. There's a lot more 418's than 417's around.

I'd be interesting in knowing why Kohler marketed the 17 hp engine vs the much more common 18 hp engine.

The 1 hp lesss doesn't seem to be enough to justify the slightly lower cost of the 17 hp vs 18 hp engine.

thanks,

George

jtmoyer

the early 17hp's had an oil problem. they were splash lube and if you used them on a lot of hills the would blow up. they fixed the prob with the s2 (like yours will have in it) but the damage was done and no one wanted a 17hp. i have a 417-8 and after 12 years of sitting outside and not being started i changed the fluids, new battery and it started right up. tilled with it this year.

i think all the kohler 16's were single cylinder until the onan's then the 16hp was a twin. had a 16 onan and loved it, i never noticed a difference in power between the 16 and the 20 with mowing, blowing, and tilling

boovuc

Hi George,

I have an early 80's C-175 with the S1, (Series 1 "splash"), KT17 Kohler. I used it on a very hilly yard for the better part of 5 years before moving to the flatlands. I had a top end rebuild on mine due in large part to those hills no doubt but the engine is fine and has been used every single year as my primary mower/plower/blower.

My opinion is you'll have no problems with it as long as it was maintained.

Boovuc