DaveQueener

FREE 1045 Transmission!

DaveQueener

Dear List Members,

Many years ago my Dad acquired a spare transmission for his 1965 Wheel Horse 1045. I do not know if he took some of the gears out of it or not, but it is lying in the garage floor disassembled. We intend to hang onto the 1045 (it still runs), but I would like to make the transmission available, for free, to anyone willing to come to Knoxville, Tennessee to pick it up. Please contact me offline if you are interested.
Best Regards,

Dave Queener

Dave at CumberlandModelEngineering dot com
(865) 333-5712 (shop)

• Excellent 2

stevasaurus

Can you take some pictures of the differential and/or the parts in the differential if it is apart.???  Thank You

BTW...Welcome to Red Square

Achto

:WRS:

@The Tuul Crib is this close to you?

The Tuul Crib
7 minutes ago, Achto said:

:WRS:

@The Tuul Crib is this close to you?

Yeah I'm about three hours or so from Knoxville. It would have to be a turn and burn for one day trip! :auto-layrubber:

I just tried to call the number and got the shop.

Edited by The Tuul Crib
  • Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Nice way to start your :rs:membership!!!

:eusa-clap:

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib
19 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Nice way to start your :rs:membership!!!

:eusa-clap:

Road trip! I could tell the wife I'm going to see her sister in Knoxville and pick up the parts and come back in one day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The Tuul Crib

Going to pick it up next weekend

maybe I'll have to build a tractor around it just maybe....🗜

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

SylvanLakeWH
1 minute ago, The Tuul Crib said:

Going to pick it up next weekend

maybe I'll have to build a tractor around it just maybe....🗜

34 minutes ago, The Tuul Crib said:

Road trip! I could tell the wife I'm going to see her sister in Knoxville and pick up the parts and come back in one day.

So...Your gonna go pick up your wife’s sister and build a tractor around her...? :ychain:

Nice score! :handgestures-thumbupright:

That was quick!!!

• Haha 3

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:  what a great gesture!

• Like 1

DaveQueener

Thanks for the replies. It's my pleasure.

Our 1045 came with a belly mower and dozer blade. It was a lot of fun to push dirt around with it. I also recall sitting in my Dad's lap as a small boy while he mowed with it, but he did not let me start mowing on a regular basis until after he bought a 16 hp Ford LGT in about 1978-1980 with hydrostatic drive--much safer for a 12 year old kid than the 1045. Case in point: The old Wheel Horse managed to get underway on its own once, either that or Dad jumped off after mowing over a yellow jacket's nest, and continued on its own till it went into the family pond--with the head lights still on!

Speaking of which, those head lights have gone missing--not sure where they went over the years. And I need two new rear tires (these are probably still the originals from 1965 and one of them finally dry rotted, and split in two!). Where can I find replacements? Any ideas?

I will take some pics of the spare transmission and post them this afternoon. Here's a pic of our 1045.

Best Regards to all,

Dave Queener

1459.jpg

• Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

DaveQueener

Here are pics of the spare transmission, disassembled.

Dave

WH 1045 Transmission 001.JPG

WH 1045 Transmission 002.JPG

WH 1045 Transmission 003.JPG

• Excellent 1

DaveQueener

And three more. I hope these are helpful.

Dave Q
(865) 333-5712 (shop)
(865) 209-5654 (cell)

WH 1045 Transmission 004.JPG

WH 1045 Transmission 005.JPG

WH 1045 Transmission 006.JPG

stevasaurus

Thanks...that is a #5025 Wheel Horse transmission.  You might look around, as you are missing a few parts.

Missing... spline shaft, 2nd/high fork gear, 1st/rev fork gear, reduction gear, reverse idler and post, cluster gear shaft, cluster gear, pinion gear.

I'm thinking that the small gear in picture #1 is the other pinion for the cluster gear shaft...it could be the reverse idler...not sure.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

DaveQueener

Hey Stevasaurus,

That was my suspicion, that it was missing a number of gears and a shaft or two. But there it is. And that's all there is. I think my Dad, now 90, may have bought the thing years ago from a Wheel Horse dealers' scrap pile just to salvage a couple of gears or a fork from a derelict tractor. I just vaguely recall as a boy accompanying him to the dealer when the 1045 was having some sort of transmission issues--and I am now 52 :)

Dave

• Excellent 1

stevasaurus

I agree, it makes sense that he picked up a transmission to replace parts...and Thanks You for making available to someone here that can either use what is left, or make it whole.  I just really wanted to list what was missing to help educate the member that may be interested in it...or give you a chance to look for parts around the shed.  :occasion-xmas:

DaveQueener

Hey Guys,

One person contacted me and said he wanted these transmission parts--and then no show, no call. Is that it? Should I just haul them off to the scrap bin at the dump?

Let me know--please. Would be a shame to waste.

Dave Queener

stevasaurus

Do not throw out that transmission.  Got to be someone who can pick it up from you.  Can you hang onto it for a while??  Maybe @Lane Ranger is making a trip to Florida.

DaveQueener

Well, yes, I can, but I we are purging all the junk that has accumulated over 57 years at my father's place. It's a lot.

DaveQueener

BTW--I need a set of tires for the back of his WH 1045. Any idea what size the 1045 took? I have half a mind to replace them with agricultural style tires rather than turf tires. We wont use it for mowing anymore, but shoving dirt with the blade would be fun for my 10 year old boy!

stevasaurus

This manual says front 16 x 5.50-8   rear is 8 x 12.

Achto

23 x 8.50 x 12 ag tires would fit & look good on your tractor.