pacer

Quick & easy early leaf mulcher

pacer

Leaves are already beginning to fall on some of my trees (oaks) not so many but enough to be .... unsightly. Not nearly enough to get out the Cyclone rake, but I still wanted to keep it the yard clean cause the grass is still nice & green. 

My D200 is set up for the Cyclone but otherwise just has a conventional 48" deck and since doubtful there is a mulching attachment for this old gal, I decided to make one. Scrounged around in the scrap pile and found a nice piece of sheet metal (part of an old file cabinet) First attempt wasnt so good but spotted a couple places I needed to improve, so made another and this one was a success!! -- a BIG success!! 

In the pic I was on the third pass, the first two passes was heavy with leaves and you can see that it made them go bye bye!! Well worth the small effort to bend up a piece of scrap metal and get results like this. 

Course as they begin to really start the heavy falling I'll have to mount the Cyclone Vacuum -- which will give the same results with even the heaviest leaf fall. That Cyclone is one fine piece of equipment

(Got new camera and obviously didnt know how to copy pix into post - hope fixed now!!)

IMG_3680.JPG.925de4e18c9c96182c0ef2c5bdb6d4c5.JPGIMG_3681.JPG.226708719a23db11e8f0ee93b8ad5236.JPG

Edited by pacer
Add pics
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 5
  • Confused 1

pfrederi

Can't see the pictures.  sounds like a winner.

Pullstart

LOOKS like a winner too!

953 nut

:handgestures-thumbupleft:         Mulching is the way to go,    enhances the soil and gives you extra seat time.

dcrage

I don’t have a mulching closure on my 37” SD, but when leaf season starts here in the next month I accomplish the same thing with a LOT of seat time. Just hit the heavy spots 2 or 3 times. Mulched leaves are the result. When the leafs get really heavy I get my bagger out, but still mulch them first so that I don’t have as many loads to empty. 

Jeff R.

I usually wind-row my leaves into a long strip under the trees, then I mow through them in reverse which usually mulches the leaves up finer for some reason unknown to me.  I keep going at the wind row forward, then reverse until I have everything mulched up the way I want it.  I have not had to bag leaves in several years once I learned this method.

8ntruck

I think I'll make a mulching plate for my 42" SD deck.  

The plan would be to use that combination as the leaves start to fall, then switch to the RD deck and tow behind sweeper when the leaves start falling heavily.  

lynnmor
18 hours ago, Jeff R. said:

I usually wind-row my leaves into a long strip under the trees, then I mow through them in reverse which usually mulches the leaves up finer for some reason unknown to me.  I keep going at the wind row forward, then reverse until I have everything mulched up the way I want it.  I have not had to bag leaves in several years once I learned this method.

That makes sense, going forward the leading edge of the blades tend to throw the debris out the chute, in reverse the debris tends to be thrown inside to be cut some more.

Jeff R.

Lynnmor,

Thank you for your explanation- I think you summed it up very well, makes perfect sense to me now.