DarrellF

D200 Manifold Leaking

DarrellF

I got a leak right where the metal tubes come out of the flat plate bolted to the rearend?

20200916_184243.jpg

pfrederi

Given the silvery look around the tubes looks like someone has tried to repair this before...unsuccessfully.  if it is leaking below the mounting plate that is easy just O rings. Unless you are (or know) a really good welder it and it is leaking around the tubes i would look at a replacement.

• Thanks 1

DarrellF

No its leaking around one tube on the top not the o-rings thanks

DarrellF

Wonder if brazing would hold the pressure?

pacer

Brazing would certainly hold - if you are comfortable with doing brazing. Oddly enough I seem to run across more people saying they just couldnt

get the hang of it, and yet can weld easily. One BIG aspect of it is getting it clean (course you really need that in any welding!)

You really havent much to lose, if it works, great, if not then you were gonna have to get one any how -- that leak is very likely gonna get worse

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

Thought about his some more.  First I have a stick and mig welders and a torch set .  But I am not really good at either and have several failures over the years.  That may color my response.  Two of the lines carry very high pressure (hence the backer O rings on those 2) one is next to the bolt with the sealing washer and seems to be one that was repaired unsuccessfully.  If you could repair the manifold in place i would try it...but for me i would probably set the thing on fire, burn through a tube or melt the O rings.  If you have to take it out to fix I would have to be 99 and 44/100% sure of success.  Getting the manifold out of a D is a chore, and the more options you have (easy ride seat, rear PTO, FEL frame) the worse it gets.  No way I would go through it twice taking it out fixing it reinstalling only to find it still leaks then doing it all over to put in a replacement. Love my D but she is a real PIA to work on.  If you have to remove the manifold I wold highly recommend you get a long Allen bit socket.  I have the O rings you need let me know i will mail them to you.

• Excellent 1

JoeM

D I would wash that area and dry it good to confirm the leak source. I had a D160 that seeped. One of the o-rings was letting the oil come up through around the socket hex bolt. I changed the tubes and o-rings and it would seep just a little. If you do take it off those o-rings only go in one way, they are cupped. Like Pfrederi said it is a pretty big deal taking those tubes out. 

My problem started when I lost the splines on the pump and had to remove it. I took the tubes out and that was a mistake.

It is only leaking a little and you don't use the machine much I would say to leave well enough alone. That is where I ended up. 

I have a set of tubes if you want them. It is a shame.... I was just up in the north hills yesterday and could have dropped them off. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

DarrellF

Ok I'm going to pull the tubes out its leaking right around the tube by the 3/4 inch bolt head if you look you can see by both front tubes that there is a shiny rings around both them tubes. looks to me like they have been pushed up maybe a 1/16. "Joe what ya want for the tubes" and Fred I'll get ya my address for the o-rings thank you. I dont know what to think if these tubes,if they are a pressed fit. I assume they dont come lose to often cause I've not seen anything posted about this unless you have heard about it before? Is there any reason you could think that would make this happen? I mean I want to fix this right, dont need this to happen again lol after I get them out I will be able to see better. Right now I'm confused. I'll be letting ya know as soon as I get them off if I see anything. Thanks again guys your always the best friends. Oh btw Joe I cleaned and wiped it real good and it leaking right around the tube closet to the bolt. It beads right around the tube just cranking the engine over.

Edited by DarrellF

DarrellF
1 hour ago, JoeM said:

D I would wash that area and dry it good to confirm the leak source. I had a D160 that seeped. One of the o-rings was letting the oil come up through around the socket hex bolt. I changed the tubes and o-rings and it would seep just a little. If you do take it off those o-rings only go in one way, they are cupped. Like Pfrederi said it is a pretty big deal taking those tubes out. 

My problem started when I lost the splines on the pump and had to remove it. I took the tubes out and that was a mistake.

It is only leaking a little and you don't use the machine much I would say to leave well enough alone. That is where I ended up. 

I have a set of tubes if you want them. It is a shame.... I was just up in the north hills yesterday and could have dropped them off. 

Hey Joe what ya want for the tubes if you dont need them.

pfrederi

I looked closely at my manifold.. There is something around the tubes into eh plate.  Weld or braise I don't be surer.

PM me your address I will mail you the O rings you need for both ends.  You are going to want an allen socket like this one somewhat reduces the cursing and swearing on the pump end....also make yourself a couple aligning pins.

Do you have the manual??

allen.JPG

IMG_0099.JPG

• Heart 1

DarrellF

Hmm strange can you tell may be around your tubes? I got to get a long allen mines to short, maybe once I get it off I can see if its moved maybe I can braze it but I sure dont want it leaking, even if i have to have take it to a weld shop and have them weld all tubes on both plates.

Edited by DarrellF

pfrederi
4 minutes ago, DarrellF said:

Hmm strange can you tell what may be around your tubes?

Either welded or braised  it is a very fine bead.  As I said I am no expert in that stuff.

• Excellent 1

DarrellF
4 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Either welded or braised  it is a very fine bead.  As I said I am no expert in that stuff.

Hey I think you know a lot more than me. 👍

pfrederi
1 minute ago, DarrellF said:

Hey I think you know a lot more than me. 👍

The bead on mine is almost flush with the plate surface and very neat  Yours is built up and I can see mig wire and some weld splatter lying about.

• Excellent 1

pacer

Very likely some sort of brass/silver solder, they appear to have been made sorta like when plumbers "sweat" a fitting.

These "D's" are some fine tractors but theres no getting around that they are a plumb pain in the bu## to work on!

16 minutes ago, DarrellF said:

what may be around your tubes?

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

JoeM
1 hour ago, DarrellF said:

what ya want for the tubes

Nothing, you can have them, my treat. 

• Excellent 1

DarrellF
1 hour ago, pacer said:

Very likely some sort of brass/silver solder, they appear to have been made sorta like when plumbers "sweat" a fitting.

These "D's" are some fine tractors but theres no getting around that they are a plumb pain in the bu## to work on!

I got to looking really close and cleaned it up looks like silver solder holy cow, around the pipe very fine and it's kinda lightly on the plate. Didn't know you could silver steel to steel. Once I get it completely off I'll know forsure. I'll look with a magnifying glass. I'll let ya know.

DarrellF
50 minutes ago, JoeM said:

Hey Joe just hold on to them tubes till I see what's going on first thanks buddy then if I'm screwed lol I'll get them from ya but if i can fix these let me see first. Thank you.

DarrellF
1 hour ago, pacer said:

Oh man find out something new everyday I love my Ds but pain in the bu## is right at times lol

DarrellF
1 hour ago, pacer said:

Then I'm sure I can braze them look like silver solder to me funny they didn't braze them to start with braze is way stronger than solder.

DarrellF
2 hours ago, JoeM said:

Just hold them I'm going to try and fix these your a good man Joe.

JoeM

Thanks, no problem there yours! 

• Excellent 1

DarrellF

They Brazed them in from the factory got it cleaned. I'll have to clean it real good and I think I can fix it.

20200918_173806.jpg

20200918_173756.jpg

Edited by DarrellF

pacer

Oh yeah, I'd try brazing that in a heart beat..... good luck!!!

• Heart 1

DarrellF

Thanks I'm going to do them all once I start they should be good for another 50 👍

• Like 1