Old mower

Belt diagram

Old mower

I am trying to replace a drive belt on a 1986 Wheelhorse model 73421, serial 4900732.  The 42" deck is model 78345, serial 4901676.  The old belt broke and popped off the pulleys and I need help to locate a diagram for attaching the new belt.  My attempts to install the new belt from memory didn't work well as can be seen in the pics

IMG_0981.JPG.e13059ec59c70b98115aa5dfcc3ac4ee.JPGIMG_0984.JPG.4d1864381d87da70a34d564167dd4f17.JPGIMG_0987.JPG.dbbb9f0531f1602f5370a213abd7c0e8.JPG

gwest_ca

Here is the last manual for this deck. Yours is a 1994 model.

Garry

• Like 1

daveoman1966

First of all, the belt MUST be on the innermost 'V' of the Engine PTO Pulley.  it then makes one loop thru the inside 'V' idler of the front mule drive, to the center pulley of the deck, then back around the outside  flat idler, and then back to the PTO pulley. It is shown on the deck set up manual.   

LEVEL (1).jpg

br14 (1).jpg

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Looks like you have taken the pto yoke apart to get the belt on the pto pulley. That is not necessary. Look at page 19 of the above manual for instructions.

Removing pins #1 (x2) and #4 will allow the yoke to drop down out of #3 the engagement plate so it can be swung out of the way to get the belt on.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Garry

953 nut

:WRS:

Looks like Garry and Dave have this covered for you. Any other questions that may come up please feel free to ask.

Old mower
4 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Looks like you have taken the pto yoke apart to get the belt on the pto pulley. That is not necessary. Look at page 19 of the above manual for instructions.

Removing pins #1 (x2) and #4 will allow the yoke to drop down out of #3 the engagement plate so it can be swung out of the way to get the belt on.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Garry

• Like 1

Old mower

Many thanks Dave.  Your description is just what I needed.  Garry, thanks for your directions on the yoke.  I won't be able to work on the belt until this evening, and will let you know how it goes.

• Like 1

Old mower

Many thanks Dave.  Your description is just what I needed.  Garry, thanks for your directions on the yoke.  I won't be able to work on the belt until this evening, and will let you know how it goes.

• Like 1

Old mower

Dave,

I put the deck back on the tractor and followed your directions for attaching the drive belt with no problem.  However, when I started the tractor and tried to engage the PTO, the lever had no resistance when moved forward and did not engage.  The linkage had been detached, but I reattached it exactly as it was.  There may be a simple answer to this, but I sure can't find it.  Thanks, Steve 

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG

IMG_0990.JPG

• Like 1

wallfish

IMG_0989.JPG.382fd3cf20ad78bdc2d749dc41d62a2b.JPG.d637d69a34bbab160ec701d9c18f66d9.JPG

Best to replace that clip pin with a small bolt and nut. To release the hoop again, just undo the other pin clip (which is why it's made like that) and the hoop will swing out of the way. It's tool-less when set up properly

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1

daveoman1966

Here is a schematic of how the PTO  HOOP... has to be connected to the outer STUB shaft (#33) of the PTO assembly shaft.  The hair pins in your pics are completely wrong.  That little square bracket (CLEVIS--#49) s/b connected to the PTO Hoop (#31) with a ROLL PIN (#30).  Then the Clevis is connected to the STUB shaft (#33)  with a pin that has a locking spring on it (#28)  (the black thingy in your pic).    

CLEVIS.jpg

pto.gif

pto pin.jpg

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1

Old mower

Thanks Daveoman and Wallfish.  All very clear and I'm on it.  Will let you know.  May need some parts.

Old mower

Dave,

I put the deck back on the tractor and followed your directions for attaching the drive belt with no problem.  However, when I started the tractor and tried to engage the PTO, the lever had no resistance when moved forward and did not engage.  The linkage had been detached, but I reattached it exactly as it was.  There may be a simple answer to this, but I sure can't find it.  Thanks, Steve 

Old mower

Dave, I got things connected per the schematic you sent and the PTO now works fine.  Duh, I can only claim old age and memory loss for forgetting how I had taken the linkage apart in the first place.  Thanks again to you, Wallfish, and Garry for your help.  Red Square is a great forum.

Old Mower

• Like 1

wallfish

:thumbs:

If not already done. This configuration is spinning the deck blades in the wrong direction so also flip the belt loop on the deck as well

IMG_0988.JPG.83b0ddb63a965c8c79f25fccdcd256db.JPG.7f3e8f1e543cb4e3f1e628ebcb0fdbd2.JPG

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1