Mows4three

Respirator selection

Mows4three

Hello and good afternoon all...!

I have a 3M respirator but I’ve been using since about 1980. It’s the gray, two-strap mask that uses round canisters for filtration.   It is literally starting to fall apart. The elastic is gone from the straps and the rubber face piece is beginning to disintegrate.

I do a lot of wire brushing on rusty and painted metal.  I do some painting, but primarily I’m concerned about the new grinding stones and flap sander abrasives I use when forging in my blacksmith shop.  

There’s a lot of good press out there on RZ Masks with replaceable filters and washable mask material.   I’m leaning in that direction.  

Before I fork out some hard earned dough on the RZ Mask system, does anyone else have any ideas, suggestions or intel to share?

Thanks!

Dave

• Like 1

Achto

The RZ mask that I found on a google search may be good for sanding dust & what not, don't think that I would trust it for painting.:twocents-twocents:

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

ebinmaine

@Mows4three

Dave do you have a model number?

• Like 1

953 nut
3 hours ago, Achto said:

don't think that I would trust it for painting

:text-yeahthat:      Air Filtration, the list of uses has nothing related to painting. If you are painting catalyzed enamel you don't want to use anything less than a respirator. 

• Like 2

Mows4three

Correct on the painting....    I’m looking for dust protection.