Farmer Dave

Tractor Starting Issues

Farmer Dave

I have a Wheel Horse  312–8, Garden Tractor Model No. 73429 and just replaced the battery three weeks ago with a new one. It started well after replacement, but now starting is difficult. Sometimes I just get a short clicking noise when attempting to start and the machine does not turn over. Sometimes after a few attempts, it starts up fine. Battery connections are all tight. Any ideas on what is wrong?

pfrederi

Tight doesn't always mean clean and corrosion free.  Check the ground cable where it attaches to the frame. Check voltage with engine running you should get 13.5 to 14.5 maybe your charging system is bad   killed first battery and isn't recharging this one.

• Like 3

Lee1977

Check to see if the dash plate where the key switch is grounded. The 312's have just two 1/4" bolts grounding that panel, if the bolts and the panel is rusted you won't have a good ground. You also have a couple more bolted connection bwtween the switch and the normal negtive ground from the battery. I had that where it took 3 or 4 tried to get the engine to start.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Stormin

My guess, other that earths/grounds, is solenoid faulty.

peter lena

farmer dave, agree with above on the grounding issue , i also added a number of grounding points , at dash area and the engine to frame mounting point. used dielectric grease on all connections to enhance conductivity and reduce corrosion. also check out your fuses , for corrosion and condition. pete 

• Like 1

lynnmor

Yes, check the voltage with the engine running and also check if the battery is being drained when not in use.

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

886472924_1electrical.jpg.f6aea5ba0e67b899772978e82599e597.jpg