formariz

Steps to absolute sharpness.

Pullstart

A master of anything wood!  True art!

• Excellent 1

stevasaurus

Very cool Cas.  That chisel is ready to split some Wheel Horse transmissions.  :confusion-confused:  :occasion-xmas:

• Haha 5

WHNJ701

Yeah my poor chisels..  I have used them for all things they not supposed to be used for.

Very cool what you do!

• Thanks 1

formariz
53 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Very cool Cas.  That chisel is ready to split some Wheel Horse transmissions.  :confusion-confused:  :occasion-xmas:

Trust me ! Much worse has been done here during moments of desperation.

• Thanks 1

JoeM

Maybe drill bits next? 

• Thanks 2

stevasaurus

The first chisels that I ruined...well not ruined...were scraping old calk off of an old door frame in brick.   :notworthy:

formariz
15 minutes ago, JoeM said:

Maybe drill bits next? 

Definitely!

Tractorhead

Thanks for showing this formariz,

I have absolutely to impatience and not experienced for that things to be honest.

A Colleague of mine is blacksmith and he is also an awesome artist on build and sharpening damask knives and even Swords

and even resharpening all the things for cutting needs.

i like it to have sharp tools, but i be myself much to impatience to really resharpen things compared to this.

I only use a bench grinder for resharpening that’s it, but a wet stone is not my Friend at all.

He sharpened once my „allday‘s working knife“ with a wet stone what was 2 months ago.

That is brutforce Sharp after and i be honest envious to guy‘s who have that patience and experience.

I have deepest respect, for well experienced and patience for guy‘s they do it that Way.

thanks for showing us.

• Like 1

formariz
37 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

I have absolutely to impatience and not experienced for that things to be honest

Most people feel that way but in reality it is really simple. It does not have to be done on the level that i do it. For most it can be done with only a piece of glass or anything flat and some sandpaper. The most important thing about it is not the actual sharpening process nor the equipment used, but in actuality the understanding of  what needs to happen to the metal for it to become that sharp. If one does not understand or know that, then it is difficult. The purpose of the tool being sharpened is also critical. For example a knife that has to cut meat cannot be sharpened the same way one is used for whittling wood. A woodcarving gauge and a regular chisel are sharpened using totally opposite principles. How one is sharpened is an absolute no no with the other. Assuming the condition of the tool to be sharpened is fair without any major damage I can teach anyone how to sharpen it to the point that it shaves hair in less than five minutes  using a smooth rock, spit, and your jeans if you are wearing them. One minute of the five will be to describe what needs to happen to the edge of the tool. That very process is how I was taught. All the fancy whetstones and grinders are merely perks of convenience and luxury that one develops a liking for and enjoys having. True that coupled with skill they make the job much easier and look hard to someone else  but they are not the essential for the end result. Knowledge is.

• Like 4

sqrlgtr
On 9/10/2020 at 6:22 PM, formariz said:

Most people feel that way but in reality it is really simple. It does not have to be done on the level that i do it. For most it can be done with only a piece of glass or anything flat and some sandpaper. The most important thing about it is not the actual sharpening process nor the equipment used, but in actuality the understanding of  what needs to happen to the metal for it to become that sharp. If one does not understand or know that, then it is difficult. The purpose of the tool being sharpened is also critical. For example a knife that has to cut meat cannot be sharpened the same way one is used for whittling wood. A woodcarving gauge and a regular chisel are sharpened using totally opposite principles. How one is sharpened is an absolute no no with the other. Assuming the condition of the tool to be sharpened is fair without any major damage I can teach anyone how to sharpen it to the point that it shaves hair in less than five minutes  using a smooth rock, spit, and your jeans if you are wearing them. One minute of the five will be to describe what needs to happen to the edge of the tool. That very process is how I was taught. All the fancy whetstones and grinders are merely perks of convenience and luxury that one develops a liking for and enjoys having. True that coupled with skill they make the job much easier and look hard to someone else  but they are not the essential for the end result. Knowledge is.

Ever done any broadheads?Bow seasons opens around here in a day or two.Ive been using traditional bow equipment (no training wheels lol) last several years but still dont think I do a good job sharpening my broadheads :confusion-confused:...

formariz
1 hour ago, sqrlgtr said:

Ever done any broadheads?Bow seasons opens around here in a day or two.Ive been using traditional bow equipment (no training wheels lol) last several years but still dont think I do a good job sharpening my broadheads :confusion-confused:...

Never did one but I wouldn’t mind trying as long as I can get my hands on one.