Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

Thoughts on the Kohler KT17 twin

bo dawg

Heard a story about the KT17 twin series engine and wanted to hear some thoughts from some of you guy's.

The KT17 1 series had an oil circulation problem, and that you wouldn't want to run along a hill side due to that, And then Kohler corrected that with the KT series 2 with a pump to help this. Is this true? :omg: and also how many different twins did Kohler make? 18hp, 19hp, and 20hp :drool:

I'm told the Onans are the ones to get in a twin cyclinder. Just curious never had a twin.

:drool:

stevebo

Bo Dawg,

I have both. The series one runs strong but you are right is will soon fail as the pil system is a drip down (slop type system) it runs about 5 lbs pressure. Kohler had a lot of trouble with this motor especially with the John Deere tractors. They fixed it by coming out the the series II with a fully pressurized motor.

I have a 1981 C175 with the series I in it and I have a back up series II sitting on the shelf waiting to replace the series I once it goes.... I also have a 417H that is a great runner and love this machine. It has a ton of power and starts as soon as you touch the key. If you are looking buy the series II in the 417. I also have a few Onans and I am not crazy about them as parts are VERY expensive !!! I love my twins but also have a single Kohler 416 that is a strong woker with a ton of torque. Good luck.

pfrederi

I have a C175 I got at an auction...Series 1 motor had thrown a rod and cracked the block (Not uncommon). I repowered with another series 1 that came from my brothers JD317. He bought the tractor used many years ago and the hour meter stopped at 1200 hours (also a very long time ago). Engine developed a bad leak so he replaced it and put the Series 1 in the barn, for several more years.. I replaced front and rear seals and put it on the C175. She uses oil but doesn't smoke (you can smell the exhaust however.... My brother had a fairly flat lot and I know he religiously changed the oil.

Bottom line if you know the history of the motor (used on flat land and had oil changes) the Series 1 works well. If you do not know history I would stay away and look for a series 2 or a Magnum 18

my $.02