Tgalo

1991 520H transaxle

Tgalo

Is there a gasket set or something available for a 520H transmission? Im going to have to split the case to reseal and possibly replace wheel bearings. I hate to have to use silicone.

Thanks, T

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I don't know how to look up the part numbers. I believe there are gaskets available. 

I may even have them here. 

When you figure out the numbers with someone's help I'll check them for you. 

• Like 1

JCM

Transaxle case gasket is part # 108312. Some early production transaxles used 2 gaskets. I myself would stay away from silicone. IMO

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Tgalo

Yeah thats the strange thing, I found a picture on both Jacks and Toro's site but the transmission in the picture appears to be a manual trans. The only picture that makes sense is the hydrostatic picture. Shows a 108319 gasket which is the pump to case but thats it. Found this for my 418. Looks like the same thing and the case gasket is 108312 as you said, thanks

Trans.jpg

Edited by Tgalo
  • Like 2

JCM

My comment was meant to say use 2 gaskets on the case halves when putting things back together. The only problem is I am not sure what years required 2, can not find that info. You are correct with the pump gasket number. I got this info from the Eaton model # 1100 repair manual which I have had for close to 20 years. When you open it up I would say if it has 2 put 2 new ones back on  ? This manual covers 1980-87 and can be used for later models so you probably only need 1. I have a 91   520-H.

Edited by JCM
  • Like 1

Tgalo

This 520 Im working on is a 91 also. But I'll get 2 gaskets just in case... Probability wont get into this till it cools off here....  Thanks all

• Like 2

cyrus

@JCM Why do you state to stay away from form in place gaskets (RTV-Silicone) on these case halves? I have a 520-h with leaking axle seals, and do not have a case gasket. i dont want to split it, but if the axles are worn and need polishing to seal i will have to do so... putting it back together with silly-cone seems fairly straight forward... Is there clearances that must be maintained?

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, cyrus said:

@JCM Why do you state to stay away from form in place gaskets (RTV-Silicone) on these case halves? I have a 520-h with leaking axle seals, and do not have a case gasket. i dont want to split it, but if the axles are worn and need polishing to seal i will have to do so... putting it back together with silly-cone seems fairly straight forward... Is there clearances that must be maintained?

Cyrus it is to some extent the clearances that are important. 

MUCH more important though is to keep the broken off silicone chunks hunks and pieces from roaming around in the transmission and PUMP. 

Gaskets may be readily available either OE or aftermarket. Possibly NOS. 

For the future health of the transmission it really is best to avoid any sealing mechanism other than traditional gaskets and seals.  

• Like 1

cyrus

i completely understand the desire to keep silicone out of the pump, and suction screen. that is the same goal you would have with all hyd pumps, of any sort. This teardown, reseal, reassemble job certainly would not be my first of this sort. I am mainly interested in the clearnace issue, and would accept the issues of silicone if i used it. 

ebinmaine
Just now, cyrus said:

i completely understand the desire to keep silicone out of the pump, and suction screen. that is the same goal you would have with all hyd pumps, of any sort. This teardown, reseal, reassemble job certainly would not be my first of this sort. I am mainly interested in the clearnace issue, and would accept the issues of silicone if i used it. 

Seems to me as long as you have experience and understanding of how to properly apply a level even coat it is a possibility of use.  

As to the clearance question...

The bearings in each half are set to a certain depth. 

I'd personally be leary of using anything but the original type gasket.  

cyrus

I ended up waiting for a gasket from "Wheel Horse Parts and More." I used a very thin set of gasket glue to hold the gasket in place, and then a thin film of it on the removed case half.

That all being said, due to the internal design of the case and bearing sets, using a this set of silicone with care taken to allow minimal intrusion to the case cavity, silicone could be used instead of the gasket. The bearings/shafts have rather generous fit up requirements axially. Radially they do not, but that location/alignment is handled by the dowel pins.  

End of Tune Report. - She runs better than it has in near 10 years, with no leaks...on the tractor. Now i see a spot under the tiller case as it sits in the rack... :eusa-doh: 

• Like 1