Sign in to follow this  
Duff

Kohler question...

Duff

Hi, folks,

Here's one for the far more experienced members than I am! My "parts tractor" which is now being rebuilt as 312-8 #3, came with a Kohler engine from which the tins were missing, along with the air cleaner and few other goodies. "Supposedly" it was runner before it was put away. The tractor also didn't have a rear fender pan, so I don't know even know what year it was made. The question......how do I figure out which model/series engine this is so I can look for parts, or is it even possible to figure this out? :drool: When I took the engine off the frame the condition of the paint underneath the motor and the way things line up tell me it's probably the original motor, so about the only thing I'm fairly confident about is it's a 12 hp Kohler of some type.

I am in no way an engine man, trust me, so any guidance will be very deeply appreciated! The motor has no compression but it turns over freely without any internal clanking, clicking or grinding. I'm guessing it may have a stuck valve or some such (I haven't had time to open it up yet).

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

Duff :omg:

evanloock

If you're turning the engine over by hand its not going to have compression. The compression release tab on the camshaft will hold the exhaust valve open until the engine reaches approximately 600 RPM.

Duff

If you're turning the engine over by hand its not going to have compression. The compression release tab on the camshaft will hold the exhaust valve open until the engine reaches approximately 600 RPM.

Hmmmm....the two Magnum 12's I have that are runners both give me plenty of compression when I turn them over by hand. :drool:

Duff :omg:

EDIT: ALso, Thank you, Steven! That is a very helpful web site! :drool: