Sign in to follow this  
dusted800

can't get pulley off shaft

dusted800

Ok, whats the secret to getting the pulley off the top of the shaft on a 42 inch rear discharge deck. I have a bearing that is starting to get noisey and have tried everything(heat, sprayed with penetrating oil, beat it with a hammer). I am also looking for a 36 inch side discharge deck for my C series tractor. I want to put a bag system on it and my dealer told me that I will have to find the 36 inch two blade deck in order for the deck to have enough lift to make the bag system work. thanx. wnk.

Sparky

I think what the dealer meant to say was a 37" side discharge deck and not a 36". There are more differances than just an inch between these decks.

Now about the pulley. I just removed one of the outer pulleys from my 42"RD deck and to do it I had to remove the big nut on the top of the spindle, then remove the grease zerk (if you have one). I then put a piece of oak over the top of the spindle and gave it a few hits with my hammer. About 5 hits and the spindle came out the bottom and the pulley was free. I did all this with it still mounted in the deck but I suppose it could be done the same way with it supported in a vice.

Good luck.

Mike.........

can whlvr

I had one that i had to cut off with an angle grinder after i bent it with a gear puller,soaked it fore a while tried a very large pipe wrench,sledge hammer,heat,you name it i tried it but in the end just cut it off,replaced it for abouy 20 bucks from local bearing dealer.

zieg72

I made a spanner wrench to go over the shaft spindle and to fit in the (2) 1/4" holes. I held the spanner wrench on top and rotated the blade on the bottom. I destroyed 1 pulley the other was to. This method is great if you don't need to replace the bearings and just want to pull the spindle.