Sign in to follow this  
kj4kicks

C-195 , D-Series, 520H ??

kj4kicks

Hi Guys, Looking through the photo gallery, I was stopped by the Super C !

Wow, I like that ! Mighta made my britches quiver just a bit... LOL

Now I have never seen one of these, or even a D-series, in person. I know I'm in for an education this year at the show.

That 195 looks every bit as massive as the D's I've seen pics of. Is it? I already noticed that it has 6 lug wheels. How do they compare the the 520H?

I'm thinking that when the C-160's go to their new homes, I may need to have a Super C.

What's the ballpark price for a decent unmolested one?

TIA for your help and op's.

Eldon.

Nick

Ive had a couple C-195s. Its a mix of old D parts, newer parts and unique to the 195 parts.

This is a few random things I can think of. :D The 195 wheelbase is longer than a 520H with swept axle. C-195 has heavy 1" spindles so its also ready for a loader. I used A KW loader on mine and it was a bit more stable than when the same laoder was on a 520H. The 520H and C195 share the same Eaton 11 hydro. The rear hubs and wheels are same as a D series. The 520 with reduction steering might steer a bit better with a loader. The C-195 also had a 3pt hitch and optional rear belt driven pto. Only pto rear attachments Wheel horse sold that I can think of are the tiller and rear finish mower.

Prices Ive seen are all over the place. Everything from a rust bucket I missed at an auction this summer for $75 up to a couple thousand dollars.

Forgot to add that my plastic fender was in bad shape so I did a quick swap to a metal fender(nothing fancy). Also installed some 26x12-12 tires with the offset moved over to make it wider and lower.

Nick in Ohio

th_fenders004.jpgth_fire003.jpgth_loader004.jpgth_greenhouse001.jpg

Ever see a gas tank like this. C-195 only. :P

th_tank-1.jpg

kj4kicks

Thanks for the input Nick. That sounds like it's right up my alley; a little bit of many models all rolled in to one! Can't wait to see one in person.

Rear attachments don't really bother me much. Most everything I need (want) is mid mount or front mount.

Thanks again!

Eldon.

T-Mo

I actually saw one, when I picked up my C141. I got my C from my lawn mower repair man. He had a C-195 in for some repairs. I was thinking how big it looked.

kpinnc

Never seen a Super C, but I did get to drive a D a couple months back.

After years of seeing regular C's and 300/400/500 series, I was pretty shocked at the size of a D. If the Super C even comes close, it'll be a BEAST!

Good luck in your search Eldon. I'll bet you'll be pleased if you found one!

Kevin

Nick

Something I should add is that the Super C didnt have a huge production run. Mike might have an idea on the production numbers. There have been some low numbers thrown around but nowhere to get a real firm answer. I might have just been on the lucky side to have owned 2 and come very close to buying 2 or 3 others.

Nick in Ohio

chevelletown

Here's a Super C that I picked up last week end for $450. It runs great and has about 700+ hours on it. The guy I got it from said he was making a mistake letting it go(and he owns 2 D series). :D You are right it is a beast, makes my C175 look kinda whimpy. Good luck on your search. I'll keep an eye out for ya. :P

WheelHorseset028.jpg

T-Mo

Ken,

Good deal on that super C. Even the fender deck looks intact. The seat looks a little worn, though. :D

nylyon

I've been thinking of this subject and having no experience with any of these tractors here's my opinion.

The C-195 and D-Series are more of a compact utility tractor (CUT). They are very heavy duty and would probably be a better choice for a FEL for load purposes and for rear mounted attachments. COnsidering their functionality (collectibility aside) they are better suited to a small farm or larger residence with large gardens. The 520 on the other hand is a Garden tractor. In my opinion the 520 is better suited for residential service and property maintenance such as mowing, lighter tilling, snow blowing and such. The 520 has more comfort features and is probably more agile. Its reduced effort steering aids in front loaded scenarios such as plows, blowers and fel's.

On a collectibility aspect, I would LOVE to have a C-195 over a 520-H. I think that they are Super Cool (hence the Super C) and would be great to show off. I really like the D-Series as well, especially the D-250 which is a different animal altogether.

Just my 2 cents worth, all based on observation no hard facts.

Nick

Eldon,

I had a few more things come to mind this morning. All C-195, with or without 3pt hitch, came with a 2 spool hydraulic valve so you can add an auxilary hydraulic outlet for a power angle snow blade, mid blade or some other creation. Also the mid lift is different than the 520h, I assume it is built like a D mid lift. Last thing I didnt mention before is the transmission mounting plate is very heavy built. I did have pictures but cant find them now.

Nick in Ohio

Had to add one more thing. The C-195 hydraulic valve was between the legs to start then was moved up into the the fender. Most I have seen have had the lower mounted valve but the fender mounted might be nice to use.

Curmudgeon

I think Karl hit it on the head about the best uses for the tractors in question. I've only had a D-250, none of the others, nor a C-195. I'd like one though! Super C has an extra personal connection. Even though it's by name only, when I learned to drive farm tractors 44 years ago, it was on a Super C. Farmall, but still Super C. Yeah, I'd like to have one of those red girls too, even know where there is a nice looking one for sale, but given my current circumstances, all of that is just a dream.

T-Mo

Karl,

Good summary and/or synopsis. Not knowing more than I do, I think it's also pretty accurate.

chevelletown

The next tractor on my wish list is a 520H. What year did they come with the forward swept front axle and easy steering? I think I've seen that some where here :P If I can find one it would be fun to line it up with the Super C, the D200, and D250 and take some pics. If Stephen gets a show going here in the Indiana area I'll bring 'em all and people could do comparitive test drives :D

Nick

The swept axle with 1" spindles came out first on the 520-HC, the 520H has a straight axle and 3/4" spindles, then I think it was in 1990 or 91 they did away with the HC model to build just the 520-H with 1" spindles, swept axle and the new reduction steering.

I had some pictures showing the size difference from the C-195 to the 520H but looks like I lost them. These are all i can find. It isnt a huge difference. Just a little longer, taller and heavier.

th_c195c145.jpgth_c195and520.jpg

TT

It definitley wasn't 1990. My 520 8-speed had the swept-forward axle but still had standard steering.

The MPV does show the 1991 520H (41-20OE02) with reduction steering.

Nick

I was off a year. The HC end was 89 so the 90 H (and 200? 8 speeds) would have swept axle and then the 91 520-H would have reduction steering with swept axle. I think thats right now. :D Might also add production end was 97 so total run for the 520 was only 88 to 97.

chevelletown

Thanks for the info. Nick & TT. I know what to look for now. I have to wait a while and let the tractor fund build back up, if ever. :D I haven't seen a 520H in person but they look like they would be a comfortable tractor for every day use.

kj4kicks

Hmmmm..... Maybe we could work out a trade, a 520H for a C-195 ??

chevelletown

Eldon I don't kow about a trade :thumbs: but do you have a 91 or newer 520H & 60" deck for sale? I need a good back up mower for a 4 acre lot we mow once a week with a Bush Hog ZTR. Heck, the 520 seems like it might even be more confortable than bouncing along on the ZTR.

kj4kicks

do you have a 91 or newer 520H & 60" deck for sale? I need a good back up mower for a 4 acre lot we mow once a week with a Bush Hog ZTR.

Send me an email. I may be able to hook you up.

Eldon.