horseyheaven

My new D160 and a tiller question?

horseyheaven

Hi, just picked up a decent D160 with loader, 48” deck, and 50” tiller.  I put a picture below.  Everything has been working great.  I have left tiller on for a counter weight for loader.  Today, I decided to use the tiller in our garden.  Checked fluid in tiller and it was full and looked good and clean.  So, installed drive shaft, turned on and worked good.  I dropped tiller in ground, went about 3 feet and the tiller locked up.  Never had one of these before, just belt driven one on C series and 400 series.  Is there anything that commonly goes wrong with the 50” tillers?

0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pollack Pete

Did the tiller actually lock up,or did the PTO just stop turning?Check that out before condemning the tiller.Disconnect the shaft and see if you can turn the input of the tiller by hand.If so,not the tiller,something else happened in the PTO system.Others will be along with more info.BTW,great looking tractor and front-end-loader.

• Like 1

horseyheaven

Hi Pete,  Yeah, I disconnected the shaft and pto turns just fine when not attached.  I lifted the tiller and tool ahold of the tines trying to move them back and forth.  I could only see the input shaft just barely wiggle when I did this.  I was unable to turn it either way.  The gearbox was warm to the touch and I only went about 3 feet.  I don’t know if something is messed up inside or if a bearing is bad.  I can’t think that a bearing would get hot enough to lock up only going 3 feet.  I am going to check to see if it will turn today after it cools down.  

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Don't know what model you have but here is one of them.

Have heard where the small gear on the input shaft fails but don't know why. Perhaps the condition you have was the cause.

Garry

• Like 2

68charger

I have the same tiller,  and the shaft that goes into the tiller came out! I am looking for the shaft to replace it.  Does anyone know where I can find one,  thanks Justin the shaft part number is 100882 I believe. 

Edited by 68charger