George Washington

Best Overall D Series Tractor

George Washington

I know this has been asked before but maybe not quite like this. I need a tractor with a 3pt and pto. Wondering what everyones opinions are on the matter as far as The best WH with a PTO ( i think there was a C-195 black hood w/ pto as well). Best in terms of power, versatility, easy to find parts for, reliability and most attachments which brings me to my next question.

What attachments will fit a WH D series? only WH attachments? I know most attachments that dont use 3pt and PTO are unique to WH but what about attachments for the PTO and 3pt?

Last, I have an opportunity to pick up a D160 with no attachments for $500. Not a bad price around here. It does not run but will turn over. I'm told it ran a few weeks ago but not since so its a gamble but it seems the d160 is popular when it has the 16hp kohler (this one does). any thoughts? Thanks everyone!

• Like 2

pfrederi

What do you want to use it for.  The only PTO driven attachments from WH were the 60" finish mower (actually made by Woods) and the 50 inch roto tiller.  Because of the high PTO speed most driven implements from other companies will not work.  The 3 pt is a Cat Zero and stuff like York rakes are available.  Other attachment snow plow snow blower mid mount blade are sort of unique to the D series as the frame is wider than regular horses....

Does the D160 already have a rear PTO and 3pt??  if not you will about double the purchase price by the time you get them installed. 

• Like 4

bottjernat1

Here is my free D160 i got before and after. Mine has a 16 hp twin hp onan! I love mine! Best gas money i ever spent. I put all new rubber on it. and tuned it up redid fuel lines,new headlight,tail lights,some wiring,knobs replaced. Now i am working on buying a snow blade and either a deck or rear pto 3point and rear mower. I am going to keep putting money into it. I am impressed with her so far!

received_169283590905235.jpeg

IMG_20200524_183942662.jpg

d160.JPG

IMG_20200606_121637626.jpg

IMG_20200606_121559617_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200606_121500699_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

George Washington
32 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

What do you want to use it for.  The only PTO driven attachments from WH were the 60" finish mower (actually made by Woods) and the 50 inch roto tiller.  Because of the high PTO speed most driven implements from other companies will not work.  The 3 pt is a Cat Zero and stuff like York rakes are available.  Other attachment snow plow snow blower mid mount blade are sort of unique to the D series as the frame is wider than regular horses....

Does the D160 already have a rear PTO and 3pt??  if not you will about double the purchase price by the time you get them installed. 

i would be putting a bucket on, i would like to have brush hog with it (sounds like thats a no go), a grader blade, just general around the farm work but it sounds like there arent many options? The one I am looking at does ave the PTO and 3pt on it already

• Like 1

George Washington
27 minutes ago, bottjernat1 said:

Here is my free D160 i got before and after. Mine has a 16 hp twin hp onan! I love mine! Best gas money i ever spent. I put all new rubber on it. and tuned it up redid fuel lines,new headlight,tail lights,some wiring,knobs replaced. Now i am working on buying a snow blade and either a deck or rear pto 3point and rear mower. I am going to keep putting money into it. I am impressed with her so far!

27 minutes ago, bottjernat1 said:

good looking tractor - looks even better next to the ugly green one, lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

bottjernat1
1 minute ago, George Washington said:

i would be putting a bucket on, i would like to have brush hog with it (sounds like thats a no go), a grader blade, just general around the farm work but it sounds like there arent many options? The one I am looking at does ave the PTO and 3pt on it already

There are many options. they made a loader for it and all sorts of other attachments. It is a very good overall machine to do farm type work. Its just an issue of finding the attachments around you. LOL I have several connections not to far from me i just need the money. LOL

George Washington
37 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

so would I be better off stepping up to a D200? That would be a Cat 1 right? that means it would take most attachments for 20-40 hp tractors? if I understand correctly

• Like 1

bottjernat1
1 minute ago, George Washington said:

ugly green one

The ugly green one is a salty beast. It was my late dads he never used it. I do. It also is a great machine they make all sorts of stuff for it to. Its my Cadillac mower I tell everyone. LOL I like them all. My late dad was a huge deere guy. But he loved the horses to. and so do I. You should get that d-160. I love mine I am going to keep mine and add stuff to it. Very impressive machine in my opinion. Even my lady like the D. LOL

IMG_20200525_160804201.jpg

• Like 3

pfrederi
3 minutes ago, George Washington said:

so would I be better off stepping up to a D200? That would be a Cat 1 right? that means it would take most attachments for 20-40 hp tractors? if I understand correctly

No all D series are Cat 0 with a high speed PTO.    I have not seen a bush hog for it.  I have the 60" finish mower. FEL is from WH but made by Arc

For 500 with 3pt and PTO I would buy it.  Even if the hydro is shot you could get almost that back selling the 3pt and PTO.

IMG_0107.JPG

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

bottjernat1
16 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

No all D series are Cat 0 with a high speed PTO.    I have not seen a bush hog for it.  I have the 60" finish mower. FEL is from WH but made by Arc

For 500 with 3pt and PTO I would buy it.  Even if the hydro is shot you could get almost that back selling the 3pt and PTO.

IMG_0107.JPG

Wow She is a beauty! I love to have a loader and 3 point. little at a time. LOL

pacer

The D's are virtually the same (160, 180, 200) except for the engine  ----- well, I guess that not exactly true, there were minor changes from year to year - switch/wiring, brake location, instruments, etc. The 160 had 2 different engines, an Onan and the Kohler, the other 2 had Kohlers in 18 & 20hp. Any of them could be bought with or without the PTO & 3 pt.

I have a D200 that has neither, just a mower deck, and I have a D160 with the Kohler and only the 3 pt, no deck and is bare bones, no lights and bare instruments -- I got it from a guy who only used it to tow boats around his boat yard.

The guys are right on the implements, they are getting more and more scarce............

pfrederi

D 200 had bigger gas tanks and i think came standard with turning brakes (optional on the others) and Easy ride seat. Bigger gas tank is a good idea these big cast iron Kohler twins never saw a gas pump they didn't like.  Turning brakes meh!  The easy ride seat is nice but precludes you from installing the add on cooling fan....

• Like 1

pacer
16 hours ago, pfrederi said:

i think came standard with turning brakes (optional on the others) and Easy ride seat.

Now see..... this is things where WH will throw you a curve. My D200 has neither turning brakes (yeah,MEH!) nor the easy ride seat and had the cooling fan :scratchead:!

• Like 1

Pollack Pete

My D-200 doesn't have turning brakes either.But has rear PTO, and 3 point hitch.No cooling  fan either.