Docwheelhorse

Oil Change Thoughts...

Docwheelhorse

Hello All and Happy Friday... hope any of you that "weathered" this storm are ok and that everyone is also doing well concerning this dang virus.

Oil Change Thoughts....
I setup my sis in laws generator on Wednesday. Its a 3250 constant 3750 surge Generac and has 220. Whole house is plugged in and she runs what she can... she knows the limits.

With that said it has a 208 cc OHV motor and holds about 22 ounces of oil... it sips fuel.

Its been running non stop and by this afternoon will be on a 60 hr run. Only stopping to check oil every 12 hrs. 

It hasnt burned any oil---10/30 Walmart blue bottle semi synthetic. It still looks clean---do I "keep on truckin" till power comes back and do a full service then or.... change it this afternoon then again after storm duty when it goes back into storage.

Did the math... 3600 rpm x 60 mins x 60 hrs equals the crank has gone roundy round 12,960,000 times... spark plug has gone sparky spark 6,480,000 then... 

Tony

20200806_074828.jpg

oldredrider

Change the oil. Better safe than sorry. It's 10 mins you won't regret spending.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

Racinbob

What does the owners manual say? I'm guessing 100 hours. If that's the case you'd be fine. But then again, less than a quart of oil is cheap. I never run any of my engines the full span based on the owners manual. :)

• Like 1

Docwheelhorse

Im thinking that... just an interesting thought / topic. Just how often do we really need to change oil. The current stuff is just so good (minus the zinc / zddp issue that our older flat tappet stuff needs)

Docwheelhorse
1 minute ago, Racinbob said:

What does the owners manual say? I'm guessing 100 hours. If that's the case you'd be fine. But then again, less than a quart of oil is cheap. I never run any of my engines the full span based on the owners manual. :)

Owners manual says once per year or 60 hrs... im just playing devils advocate with the thought of 60 hrs straight isnt as hard on the oil as 60 hrs off and on over a year. Also no dust / dirt like cutting grass. Ill end up changing because im not cheap. Just wanted to start a conversation and get some thoughts

• Like 3

71_Bronco

I'm also in CT, and still have no power. I've only run my generator in the evening and in the morning (before and after work). I'm going to change mine after the storm, but I haven't run mine as much as yours.

I have a 5,000/6,250 watt HomeLite with a Subaru engine on it. Bought it off craigslist a few years back for cheap since it was off-season.

In your case, if you have the chance, I'd change it. Who knows when we will get our power back.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Tuneup

I think like you and it's also partially synthetic so more durable. I'd check the level and let it ride until the crisis passes. I'm also more cautious than today's recommendations from manufacturers and change the oil when it's dirty, not at 10,000 miles. YMMV.

• Thanks 1

peter lena

lubrication maintenance is simple and easy , i typically do mine by oil color , getting dark is time , for a hot oil change. i have recently been trying out the rislone zinc additive , with terrific results ,https://www.amazon.com/Rislone-4405-Supplement-Concentrate-Treatment/dp/B0075559UY/ref=asc_df_B0075559UY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312198323731&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8910142044753763841&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003292&hvtargid=pla-567498281214&psc=1  on my 3 horses , a couple of ounces of this added to the oil makes a much smoother and freer /smoother running engine, worth a try. only my experience , i also have a 10 k generator . on a gen tran switch , that regularly gets serviced , go for the oil change, pete

• Thanks 1

WHX??
28 minutes ago, Tuneup said:

I'd check the level and let it ride until the crisis passes.

:text-yeahthat:especially if this is a pressure fed oiler motor with a filter. If if goes beyond 100 hrs then change it regardless. Won't kill the SIL to be without power for the 10 min it takes. 

Just a safety reminder fellas  make sure you are not back feeding street power. Linemens lives matter too! 

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 4

Tuneup

It really amazes me as to what we're trusted with - go to youtube and learn how to plug your gen into a dryer outlet? Sure!!! Everyone is an amateur electrician - those poor linemen!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

JoeM

Power generators are much more important than mowing the lawn. That little engine at 3200 watts is running full tilt. For all it is worth, holding less than a quart, unfiltered..... this would be a good cause for using a high quality synthetic oil changed on a cycle. 

• Like 2

WHX??

So true Tuneup, busted my dad doing it once though a welder outlet. One of the few times in my life I got to chew his butt! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Greentored

When in doubt, change it out. Overmaintenance might waste money, but in the case of our 'little' machines, its not gonna hurt the wallet THAT bad.

Now, overmaintaining a V8 with full synthetic and 12.00 a piece spark plugs is a different story haha......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Racinbob
33 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Just a safety reminder fellas  make sure you are not back feeding street power. Linemens lives matter too! 

30 minutes ago, Tuneup said:

It really amazes me as to what we're trusted with - go to youtube and learn how to plug your gen into a dryer outlet? Sure!!! Everyone is an amateur electrician - those poor linemen!

22 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

So true Tuneup, busted my dad doing it once though a welder outlet. One of the few times in my life I got to chew his butt! 

This is something I don't hesitate to rant and rave about. A UL listed transfer switch or lockout device is an absolute MUST. :bitch:

• Excellent 2

lynnmor
2 hours ago, Docwheelhorse said:

Im thinking that... just an interesting thought / topic. Just how often do we really need to change oil. The current stuff is just so good (minus the zinc / zddp issue that our older flat tappet stuff needs)

Blackstone Laboratories bought up a number of vintage oils from eBay and tested to compare to current oils.  The results showed little difference overall.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Docwheelhorse

Hmmm... Ill look that up, probably a good read. Thanks

peter lena

oilwell1415

Keep on trucking and change it after the crisis or when it's getting dark.  Consider what goes into a recommendation to change oil.  The hardest thing that can happen to oil is running the engine and then letting it sit.  That's when moisture, acids, and other junk build up.  As long as the engine is running and it stays hot, that isn't happening.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

lynnmor
3 hours ago, Docwheelhorse said:

Hmmm... Ill look that up, probably a good read. Thanks

Here is part 1 of 3 parts.

• Excellent 1

oldlineman

Yes by all means thank those Lineman. Being a 41 year retired IBEW Journey Lineman I have had some bad experiences with generators on storm work! Always be careful, we want your power to come on as soon as possible but we also want to go home to our families when the work is done. Bob 

• Excellent 2

Docwheelhorse

Hello all, well.... Eversorce restored power 20 mins before I got there. So... it got a full service, gas drained, carb drained, WD40 on outside.... its down for a long sleep till next time.

Thanks for insight

Tony

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

71_Bronco

Lucky. Still no power here :bitch:

clueless

Living on the gulf coast I have at least 500+ hours living on the ginny over the last 40 years after hurricanes. While a I am no expert I do know a fair amount of what you need and what you need to do till power is restored. First and foremost DO NOT BACKFEED YOU HOUSE EVER!!!:angry-screaming:. Next this is one time when you need to read all the pages on safety in the front of the op. manual, more people die after the hurricane because of generators than in the hurricane. Now for oil and oil changes, my frist generator was a 5000w with a 10 hp flathead briggs, it still runs and has at least 300hr on it, when running it continuously I changed the oil (30w) every 48 hours, when it's the thing that is keeping you, your food and your beer cold a quart of oil ain't nothing. Over the years I started using Rottla 40w and started change it at 60hr. My newest gen. is a duel fuel 7500 w with a 13hp OHV engine, I have only run it on propane and the 40w looked like it just came out the jug after 60 hours :handgestures-thumbupright:. I plan on using Rottla T-5 40w blend in it now and would not hesitate to run it 75 to 100 hours before changing. Now as far as how many watts you really need and what you need to get through several day with out power, that will be page two ;).

Edited by clueless
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2