Sign in to follow this  
JamesBe1

Front Wheel Bearings

JamesBe1

So I noticed that I had a flat front tire on my C-120 this afternoon. The tire looked to have some cracking on the sidewalls, so I decided to install one of those Slime inner tubes. As I was removing the wheel from the axle, half of the inner bearing stayed on the axle, and half stayed in the wheel. Rats!

So, my question is: does anyone have a good source for new bearings? I might as well replace both the inner and outer bearing at the same time.

The wheel ID (or bearing OD) is 1 3/8 inches, and the axle OD (bearing ID) is 3/4 inch.

Do most folks buy items like bearings through RCPW or the like? Or is there more generic and inexpensive route?

Thanx in advance.

James

Sparky

Most hardware stores have them in the nut-n-bolts section. I have used them with no problems.

Mike........

Kelly

I guess some guys are going to hate me for this but I put John deere sealed wheel bearings in mine, I'm sure there is another sorce for them but the JD shop stocks them about $7 each, but no more grease every where, I like that on my restored wheels, but TSC sells cheap wheel bearing about $3 each

Don1977

If the new bearing doesn't fit tight in the wheel it will just get worse. I had one on my C-120 that would not stay tight and it ending up cutting up the spindle. You may have to replace the wheel to get it fixed right. I tried to fix my wheel but never was able to keep the bearings tight. I have that wheel on the back of a wagon that I built and the bearings are still loose.

JamesBe1

Don, couldn't you just shim the bearing with some foil when installing it? Seems like that would make it fit.

James

Don1977

You get a lot of side ways force on the front wheels, once one get loose there is not much you can do to fix it. My other wheel stayed as tight as new, I believe it was just a bad wheel.