Vurge

Opinions needed on this C-121

Vurge

Keep in mind I'm out in CA where Wheel Horses are uncommon. That means any repairs requiring heavy parts involve crazy shipping prices. I have a 606 that I'm currently working on, but now stumbled across a C-121 listed at $285.  What do you all think? And what potential problems do you see? I'm new to Wheel Horse machines so please point out anything even if it seems obvious! 

******Ad Text*****

Selling pops old wheel horse C-121 model runs , and cuts ! With original Manuel ! No battery included.

15966442114253.png

15966442117954.png

15966442118135.png

15966440780840.png

15966442118135.png

15966440781682.png

• Like 2

Stepney

Here in Maine the deck alone would bring that price.. I'd go for it. 

oliver2-44

That's a great price.  I've seen non-runners asking that price. 

A few observations.   

In the 4th picture, side view, the rear wheel looks dirty.  Check if its dirt, or a leaking axle seal... negotiating point, but not a show stopper.

In the photo that WH seat looks great.  I would read that as a sign that its been keep inside and cared for.

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat:

It has a side discharge deck.  The wheel is most likely dirty.  Missing taillights, but I'd consider that to be minor.  Seems like a good price.

Vurge

Thanks for all the info. Keep it coming. I asked if the engine smokes and the seller said it does on startup.  My Craftsman GT5000 with a Kohler twin does that too and then runs perfect after. Maybe this isn't a big deal? 

I just realized I have to figure if this can fit through the backyard gate! Can anyone eyeballing the pictures guess how wide is the deck? 

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Stepney said:

Maine

A local Small engine place to @Stepney and I told me ANYTHING that runs and cuts is worth $300. 

RUN, don't walk, to get that. 

• Like 1

rjg854

I'm guessing you would at least a 4 foot opening to fit that deck through your backyard gate.  Hard telling from the pictures, but the chute sticks out  pretty good on that one side.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

The deck has a 42" width of cut so with extension off about 47" wide from left gauge wheel to right side of deck.

Garry

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

As rare as this tractors are for you in your

area l would widen the gate ! Nice looking 

tractor and nice price!  Do it!

• Like 1

Tuneup

First, run, don't walk, and get that thing! Second, do the deal without Manuel - he might cut lawn well but you'd have to feed him. Last, the tractor itself will fit and a 42 RD will also - I know from experience. That SD with the extension - no. Don't let that stop you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Vurge

My current riding mower has a weak hydro and puts out enough smoke that I have to immediately change afterwards or else by wide won't let me in the house...  Been two years like this and it refuses to die but I've been keeping an eye out for a suitable replacement. 

Is the extension removable?  No way I'm going to come across a rear discharge here, and shipping for one would be crazy money.  I mulch anyway and my mower has a plug instead of a deflector.  Can I do the same to this Wheel Horse and reduce the width?  

tom2p

as others said - run don't walk 

deck alone might be worth asking price 

tractor without the deck worth asking price or more 

seat alone might be worth $100 or more 

Wheel Horse 42" deck - measurements of different models might differ ? -  but often if not typically wheel to wheel (outside) the width will be around 42" ...

last 42" RD deck I measured was around 44" width ... (shell width) ... 42" SD deck without chute might be a bit wider ? ... 

( never had a SD deck with fixed chute - but I believe they can be removed )

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1

tom2p
8 hours ago, Vurge said:

Thanks for all the info. Keep it coming. I asked if the engine smokes and the seller said it does on startup.  My Craftsman GT5000 with a Kohler twin does that too and then runs perfect after. Maybe this isn't a big deal? 

I just realized I have to figure if this can fit through the backyard gate! Can anyone eyeballing the pictures guess how wide is the deck? 

many small engines will smoke at startup - and especially when started cold with choke 

single cylinder Kohler engine with many hours that smokes / burns a little oil can still provide great service for decades ... there is almost no equivalent to Kohler as far as dependable reliable service goes (or no equivalent)

• Like 1

oliver2-44
49 minutes ago, Vurge said:

Is the extension removable?  No way I'm going to come across a rear discharge here, and shipping for one would be crazy money.  I mulch anyway and my mower has a plug instead of a deflector.  Can I do the same to this Wheel Horse and reduce the width?  

Yes you can remove extension chute and make a plug  Then put on some mulching blades and go to work

Do you have yet?

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1

Vurge

I have a 47" opening for the door so it sounds like I can fit if the mower is set up for mulching!?  Sweet! 

Now I'm just anxiously waiting for the seller to get back to me now so I can set up a time to meet.   

• Like 2

Stormin

I'd bite the sellers hand off. Decks are easy to remove and fit. Five minute job, ten on a bad day. I remove my decks after each mowing to clean them.

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 1

Dan.gerous
1 minute ago, Stormin said:

I bite the sellers and off. Decks are easy to remove and fit. Five minute job, ten on a bad day. I remove my decks after each mowing to clean them.

I remove them for the same reason and it is incredibly easy. All the attachments are easy and fast to mount.

scWHhauler

Looks good fire the truck up and getter done.

Tuneup

Yes, measured mine without its added chute and it's 46" and change. A 47" gate and you're golden - chute removed.

Vurge

5-10 minutes to remove a deck? It takes me at least double that to remove the Craftsman deck and 3 times that to install.  And that's with lots of muttering and scraped knuckles! 

@Tuneup - thanks for the exact measurements! That's good news. 

I'm just anxiously waiting for a response.  Seller must be at work because he hasn't even read my message yet.

Update:  Seller says I can take a look Saturday.  I'll bring the trailer along.  :D

Edited by Vurge

Vurge

I was just looking into the mulching options and it looks like I need some kind of expensive kit with baffles?  Someone please educate me as to why it's so different than my current mower which just involves new blades and a plug for the discharge opening.   

Reddart

With a SD, I think you just need a plug and mulching blades. The plug you might have to make yourself? I believe there are mulching blades for a 42”SD available (a 42” RD blades are slightly longer).  

Vurge
50 minutes ago, Reddart said:

With a SD, I think you just need a plug and mulching blades. The plug you might have to make yourself? I believe there are mulching blades for a 42”SD available (a 42” RD blades are slightly longer).  

Oh.... That makes sense. I've seen the RD pics and the entire rear is open and baffles would be needed to direct airflow.   Good news this is SD then.  

Vurge

Bought and hauled home.  Trailer is 48" and the discharge extension needed to come off.  We should be good to go through my gate. 

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll start another thread when I get a battery in her.  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1